The MT-07 Forum

(Barely) No more bad weather

faffi

Since I took up commuting by motorcycle again, I was reminded that regardless of weather (almost), I am dressed for it. Only dense fog and heavy snowfall can cause issues by clogging up my visor and spectacles, but so far this kind of weather has eluded me. Today it was raining dogs and cats, causing rivers to form in the streets. Heavy winds aided to make this a beautiful day for cozy ride to work inside me insulated weatherproofs.

Not very long, less than 3 miles. That is of course a factor that aids comfort; riding an hour in freezing temps will tax most gear unless heated. But I still get to practice balance and braking coordination every day, as well as where to place myself and what to be aware of. Since I have mostly just ridden for joy when the weather is good (not often), I do notice that the daily practice have a positive effect on my abilities.

Faffi, don't let that bad weather get you down no more. Put one of these in your garage to keep your balance sharp. They are so underrated, mine is awesome!

th.jpg

Hey, I kid of course! Have you thought about maybe getting something to ride in the snow for fun? A snowmobile or dirt bike? 

Beemer

I have a 26 - 32 mile commute, depending on the route I take.  I ride 99% of the time.  It's so much better on a bike.  I have a good slicker so the rain is no problem (I have always loved riding in the rain as long as it's not so hard that I can't see).  In the cold, I just layer.  I'm in south Texas so it can be freezing in the morning and 70 in the afternoon.  The only problem I have  is whan I wear all the extra gear in the morning, I have to store it somewhere on the bike for the ride home - I don't like a lot of luggage on this bike nor do I like wearing a backpack, but a tailbag and a small waterproof camping bag with a cargo net usually work.

I don't know much about snow caking up on a visor (maybe a heated one?), but a Pinlock lens works awesome for everything else.  I've found nothing that works on eyeglasses except cracking your face shield a bit or just holding your breath (which causes its own set of problems).

The other guys at work think I'm either a bada$$ or just crazy (mostly the latter, I believe).

It's great to hear about others who are hard core commuters.  Embrace the crazy.

AlbatrossCafe

I actually enjoy commuting in bad weather. I live about 22 miles away. I commute 45 minutes in the pouring rain sometimes, or like this morning for example it was clear but 35 degrees.

As long as I have my one-piece waterproof insulated suit, it is very "cozy" you could say. The only thing I dislike is lack of visibility through my helmet in the dark + rain and my gloves not drying out very fast (I have an extra pair and a glove drier at home, but not at work).

Archived