The MT-07 Forum

Strange Wear Pattern New Tire

philthyphil

I recently replaced the rear tire on my 2016 FZ 07. The bike had Michelin pilot road 3 on it new, so I opted to replace the worn rear tire with the same tire. I've got about 200 miles on the new tire and I'm noticing some very peculiar looking wear patterns, or something on the tire. It looks like an imperfect channel running almost down the center of the tire, which is souronded on both sides with another weird looking groove or channel. It's kinda hard to explain, so I'll include pictures. I don't recall seeing this type of wear, or whatever it is, on my last Michelin pilot road 3 tire. It almost looks like part of the construction of the tire, maybe where the different compounds are meeting or something? I'm not sure. Has anyone ever seen this, and should I be concerned? Thanksimageedit_10_7711820546.thumb.png.37d9a5f46e28f5de53c9adf25c070db1.pngimageedit_12_5608557790.thumb.png.45b6fedbfdbe467269a5bfe2d3dff287.png

That's a bad tire, chief. I'm not a tire manufacturer, so I can't say what's really going on there, but you need to have that one swapped out. 

Good luck, man. 

OMG I cannot believe what I am about to say........ I just cannot do it

Thats a bad tire

Look at the pattern of that bead, it is hitting the exact spot in each side of the thread pattern.  That is not normal wear.  Do not ride that bike send that phone to Michelin call your shop and send that to the Service manager.  IMO that peice oif the radial is cooming apart from compond.

I have never seen any tire wear like this unless it is some sort of anomly in that tire

Meet Dave Moss a very respected racer / tuner I respect in the loca club scene in Calif Bay Area  He has built some pretty damn fast BMW for WSBK

https://feelthetrack.com/2018-schedule-calendar/suspension-school/reading-your-tires/

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

Wish @wickedtwister was still with us.

He IS a tire enngineer... :/

but I believe @r1limited is correct, contact the installer or michelin themselves 

and  unfortunately im gonna warn you DO NOT RIDE until it's resolved

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

that is weird... to me it looks like its the multi hard (long wearing) compound rubber thats in the center of most tires but it's not quite centered..its more to the rear brake pedal side... 

manufacturing defect??

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The line that runs around the tire, just left of center is a strip of something more conductive than silica, meant to dissipate static charges. Been seeing this for a quite while now.  All 4 of my current Bridgestones have one.

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/dark-line-around-motorcycle-tyre/

Don't think I've seen 2 of 'em on one tire though. That's suspicious.

Did you mount the tire? And was it difficult to get seated?

Another issue is the cupping at the groove edges that's showing up already. That not so common with modern tires these days to begin with  and usually takes a long while combined with running low pressures.

Aliens.png

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Makes me think they put a double width center wear strip on it because the middle line is centered. Part of the design to decrease wear??? How does it feel when riding? Still, it's unusual so I would at least ask the company about it to be sure.

Beemer

7 hours ago, faffi said:

It is haunted by aliens 😵

We need another good Roswell to get the latest in alien technology. Too bad for us, they're probably more crash resistant now, pooh!

Beemer

On 12/7/2017 at 5:36 AM, rick said:

The line that runs around the tire, just left of center is a strip of something more conductive than silica, meant to dissipate static charges. Been seeing this for a quite while now.  All 4 of my current Bridgestones have one.

http://www.cambriantyres.co.uk/dark-line-around-motorcycle-tyre/

Don't think I've seen 2 of 'em on one tire though. That's suspicious.

Did you mount the tire? And was it difficult to get seated?

Another issue is the cupping at the groove edges that's showing up already. That not so common with modern tires these days to begin with  and usually takes a long while combined with running low pressures.

I didn't mount the tire myself, I had a shop do it, so I'm unaware of whether or not it was difficult to get seated. That picture/article you linked does look allot like the same thing as what I've got going on. I'm gonna have to take it back in and see what the mechanic who mounted it has to say about it I guess.. thanks for the info!

A single one of those dark lines around the circumference is normal. But it looks like you have 2 or maybe even 3 of those lines running around the tire and that's probably not. I'm thinking something weird happened when the tire was molded.

If you run the tire with the palm of your hand, does it feel smooth? Cause if it does feel lumpy, with high and low areas, then cord structure will also have issues. You might even feel that as vibration as you ride. I'd suggest you not ride the thing very fast if that's the case.

Hopefully, your shop will just give you a new tire and send that one packing back to France.

As it been said before, looks like a manufacturing problem! Call Michelin's customers service to see how it can be fixed! But for me, it looks ok hahaha

looks good to me.jpg

On 12/8/2017 at 8:40 AM, philthyphil said:

I didn't mount the tire myself, I had a shop do it, so I'm unaware of whether or not it was difficult to get seated. That picture/article you linked does look allot like the same thing as what I've got going on. I'm gonna have to take it back in and see what the mechanic who mounted it has to say about it I guess.. thanks for the info!

What was the outcome?

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

What was the outcome?

I'm finishing up finals for my fall semester at college and haven't had time to deal with it. To be on the safe side I've been just not riding. I'll probably try to get down to the shop who installed the tire this weekend. Today is last day of finals!

Archived