The MT-07 Forum

Buying your stuff

r1limited

We all like bling for our stuff, it is our signiture right?  I am all for a bargain, I am all about being cheap.  I like building my own tools or stands and whatever I cannot build directly I buy.  I like buying form Mom and Pops over conglomerates when I can but most of the time I will buy from a local shop and not the big guns.  I refuse to diliberatly buy crap from China or any crap from China.  99.9999% of the time it is a rip off of someone elses work, crappy material and well just shet.  I dont care if it is 20 bucks cheaper than MD or whomever, I want to support those who support us and I personally feel when we buy China we buy bullets and fill the coffers of the red army.

Thats just how I feel, I know some people dont care, just like the dont care about much at all that is not directly impacting them, thats the human condition, But I just want to say, buy from those folks that support us, that depend on us that offer a good value for a American Made Product

*** Feel free to move if in the wrong forum

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I always try to buy as locally as possible and from the little guy when I can.  I hate seeing small local businesses crushed by big faceless multi-nationals.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

So you have no cellphones and tvs?  Well, maybe some Sony tvs are still made in Japan.

And I wonder what they do with my contact details. That said, I have a Chinabike. But it was made in Taiwan, I scream! (it is a Kymco).

Just do it! 

There are several ways to see this, and many facets. I buy quite a bit from China, and I think it is helping them increasing their standards of life. Unfortunately, just like virtually any other place, a minority gets filthy rich, whereas the majority gets a small increase in wealth, but it is still better than no increase. I am also a firm believer in creating a good life for all with lesser differences between rich and poor, because it tend to create stability. Not everybody agree with this, especially in America, but people without economic worries have less reason to riot than starving people. YMMV.

That said, if you buy American, or whatever country you feel like supporting, chances are that those behind get some or most of their products from China and similar low cost countries, add a healthy premium and proceed to laugh all the way to the bank. Not all of them, of course, but unless you buy local craftsmanship, you can be fairly certain the product at least to a degree was made in the East. Even Harley have carried plenty parts from Asia for almost 50 years already.

However, supporting local businesses in general, businesses that create local jobs, is something I do as well. I often buy from a local shop instead of via the internet as long as the price difference isn't dramatic. I am not willing to pay double price to support a local shop, but I can pay 25% more just to have a place where I can actually try a pair of pants before buying. Using a local shop to try for fit and then buy online is not my cup of tea. Again, YMMV.

4 hours ago, faffi said:

There are several ways to see this, and many facets. I buy quite a bit from China, and I think it is helping them increasing their standards of life

Are you sure your not kin to level41

ee51af2f_27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpeg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Honestly, I don't mind living in a world where I have to pay more for things.  Imagine how much better the congestion in LA would be if gas was 10 dollars a gallon.  I would happily pay 10 dollars a gallon for gas if it meant less cars on the road.  But I'm in the minority.  Everyone else is happy to buy their 40 inch flat panel TV for 200 bucks.  Its really a great time to live in America if you are poor.  You have Walmart and 99 cent fast food and certain political parties encouraging your lifestyle by demanding free stuff for the poor.  Unfortunately everyone else is suffering for it.

47 minutes ago, yamahazaki said:

Honestly, I don't mind living in a world where I have to pay more for things.  Imagine how much better the congestion in LA would be if gas was 10 dollars a gallon.  I would happily pay 10 dollars a gallon for gas if it meant less cars on the road.  But I'm in the minority.  Everyone else is happy to buy their 40 inch flat panel TV for 200 bucks.  Its really a great time to live in America if you are poor.  You have Walmart and 99 cent fast food and certain political parties encouraging your lifestyle by demanding free stuff for the poor.  Unfortunately everyone else is suffering for it.

Are you local? I'll buy you a round :D Except for the $10/gallon stuff... that's some BS lol.

R1 and Faffi both make great points. As a self employed person, I'm all about spending money locally. But I'm also aware that import/export helps both parties. 

So yes, I'll buy products made overseas, but I do my best to purchase them through local vendors. eBay is murdering small business in America. 

What R1 mentioned about trying on gear in a store, then buying it online to save a few bucks; I've witnessed this before. When you tell the guy not to bitch when the local shops closes it's door he looks offended. You can have your cake and eat it, too...but you need to support your local baker to make it happen. 

2 hours ago, yamahazaki said:

So tossing more money taking it from you is the answer?

ee51af2f_27457d1244675809-ok-wheres-facepalm-emoticon-double-facepalm.jpeg

So much to be taken into consideration. If Made In America means I will be buying a superior product I will buy American all day, if the price is right. If I buy something other than american made once in awhile maybe it's because someone dropped the ball and got too relaxed, let his competitor get ahead. Is that the american consumer's fault? Maybe it's the CFR's? Who do I point a finger at?

Beemer

14 minutes ago, Beemer said:

Who do I point a finger at?

When you point a finger there is three pointing back at ya

:)

If yer not buy in Amurkan yer one o dem dang blasted camurnist

they-took-er-jerbs.jpg

33 minutes ago, stickshift said:

This is a strange post on a forum about a moto made in Japan...

I bought it from an American owned Motorcycle shop

Th epoint is buying cheap ss crap from China and supporting the Red Armies Military machine

Archived