The MT-07 Forum

Wheel Stand

sloop1210

Hi guys,

I have a 2017 FZ-07 ABS. I am searching for wheel stands (front and rear) to store it for the winter. 

I found the Venom Sport Bike ones on Amazon for about $70 but in the reviews, some say it works, other it doesn't.

Does anybody has these stands? Comments? Reviews? Any other options to have the wheels of my little one up for an extended period?

Many thanks in advance

https://www.amazon.com/Venom-Motorcycle-Swingarm-Paddock-Kawasaki/dp/B0036QZ8VQ/ref=pd_day0_263_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XM44VK6B6DDM606YAV6F

• Premium Member

I've got the Venom stands and I've found them to be very sturdy. I highly recommend them. I also got the triple tree accessory for them when I did my fork upgrades.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I have Venom stands, and if you are SOLELY going to use it for winter storage, go ahead and get them.

If you plan to use Venom stands for maintenance as well, you'll come across one issue.  The stand will always make the bike tilt a bit which won't be a huge issue for the most part unless you are keen on looking at the oil sight glass when you change the oil.  Then you will probably dislike the stand.

I ended up buying a pitbull spool rear stand for all 3 of my bikes and never looked back (although your FZ will have some issues when it comes to spools- either you get swingarm drill kinds, expensive as shet gilles tooling ones, or you get cheap chinese knockoff of said gilles tooling- but don't use OES slider/spools with spool stands otherwise you can't do things like chain tightening (unless you just tighten the chain using the sidestand) or removing the rear wheel.

I visit here at least once a week.  Got any questions, ask and I will answer!

Hi guys,

thanks for the input. I just ordered them on Amazon. Based on your comments, I think they will be a good starting point and if I need better later, we will see.

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I recently bought the front fork lift stand from venom, and I was wondering do any of you have the rear paddle L type rear stand and the front fork lift stand combo? @sloop1210@DewMan, @SkH If so, I'm curious will the rear paddle L type attachment fit the front lift fork attachment holes? As in are the dimension the same on both stands where the attachments go through the frame of the stand.( the spring-loaded pieces ) I ask this because I have a rear stand already that uses spools on the axle nut and I was thinking if the venom paddle type fit the front lift I can order the paddle L type attachments and use it for adjusting the chain and removing the rear wheel. 

• Premium Member

I would not consider using the rear "L" shelf brackets on the front stand since there is no mechanism to keep the forks from sliding off from minimal movement even if it fit in every other aspect.

I do have and use the "L" brackets on the rear and I have no issues using them as they are intended for the reasons you mentioned.... tire & chain maintenance/removal is why I chose to go with the "L" s in the first place. I recently used them to install a set of aftermarket chain adjusters.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, DewMan said:

I would not consider using the rear "L" shelf brackets on the front stand since there is no mechanism to keep the forks from sliding off from minimal movement even if it fit in every other aspect.

I do have and use the "L" brackets on the rear and I have no issues using them as they are intended for the reasons you mentioned.... tire & chain maintenance/removal is why I chose to go with the "L" s in the first place. I recently used them to install a set of aftermarket chain adjusters.

I'm not considering using the rear "L" shelf brackets on the front stand under the forks. I'm currently using the front fork lift stand as its intended to be used (getting the front wheel off the ground). What I was trying to get at was to see if the "L" bracket attachment would fit the frame of the front fork lift so I could use it on the rear for maintenance. Basically, could I buy the (paddle L type attachments) drop the front, swap out the attachments and lift the rear to do maintenance. I'm asking would the attachments fit? 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, fzar said:

I'm not considering using the rear "L" shelf brackets on the front stand under the forks. I'm currently using the front fork lift stand as its intended to be used (getting the front wheel off the ground). What I was trying to get at was to see if the "L" bracket attachment would fit the frame of the front fork lift so I could use it on the rear for maintenance. Basically, could I buy the (paddle L type attachments) drop the front, swap out the attachments and lift the rear to do maintenance. I'm asking would the attachments fit? 

Sorry for misunderstanding your question. I'm not home right now so I can't confirm but If memory servers the spacing between the legs that support the front forks is too narrow to fit the swingarm between but I can confirm when I get home. late tonight. If there is room I'll confirm the "L"  brackets will fit. but I believe they would.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

OK I've measure the distance between the swingarm outside edges which is ~11.25"/29cm. The distance between the legs on the front Venom stand is only 11.5"/29cm. by the time you put the springs and washers on the "L" bracket you'll need more than a shoehorn to maybe wedge it on there. But I can't see it fitting even with leaving off the springs and washers. I wouldn't risk my bike with a questionably rigged setup. But that's just me.

The rear stand has ~15"/38cm between the legs. I've eyeballed both the front fork "Y" brackets and the  rear's "L" brackets and the posts on both are the same diameter so  see no reason they wouldn't be interchangeable.

From what I see, I'd highly recommend purchasing the complete rear paddock stand rather than trying to improvise the front stand. I don't know if I'd trust the structural integrity  of the front stand if you were able to spread the legs enough to use it on the rear... then it would probably never work correctly on the front again if you did get it bent enough to fit the rear.

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

@DewManThanks for going to the trouble to get me those dimensions. I haven't made any decision on what I'm going to do just yet, been busy with other crap. I'll let ya know when I get around to it.

Thanks again.  

Archived