The MT-07 Forum

MT07 highway bearable?

Leo_7

Hi guys,

First of all, apologies if this topic already came up before.

I am about to order my mt07 next week but I was wondering how bearable highway is, considering this is a naked bike with quite a small chassis.

I currently own a GSR 600, which is also a naked bike, but I’m wondering how stable the MT07 feels in highway speeds?

Thanks,

Leo

Ride 80 highway miles almost everyday to work. All you need is some kind of windshield and the bike handles fine

• Premium Member

I don't do daily highway miles but when I do I don't feel the need for a shield even at 80-85mph. But I have invested in suspension upgrades. I experience minimal buffeting. Everyone seems to have a different experience at highway speeds. Before your invest in a shield, I suggest you take it out yourself and then decide if and how much of a shield you need.  ✌️

Congrats on the decision to get an MT-07. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

its bearable... if your not used to it, its a bit off putting, but with regular exposure you wont even notice... just remember to dress up more for the cooler temps as exposed to the elements...

bulky ADV type helmets will or bulky helmets will make your head bobble like the hula dancer on your dashboard.. 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Agree with everybody else so far.  I did what @DewMansaid and at 6'1" found  that a windscreen is better (I like the MRA Double Bubble).

As far as handling, I have stock suspension and it does fine, but am planning to upgrade someday.  It's got enough quickness  to make handling traffic easier and speed ro get out if bad spots.

The only gripe I have is the stock mirrors.  I can see my shoulders really well., but not so much behind me.  Good bar ends would be much better.

Congratulations.  You'll enjoy the bike.  They're great.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

its bearable... if your not used to it, its a bit off putting, but with regular exposure you wont even notice... just remember to dress up more for the cooler temps as exposed to the elements...

bulky ADV type helmets will or bulky helmets will make your head bobble like the hula dancer on your dashboard.. 

What he said. Also make sure you have a properly fitted helmet that's not sloppy on your head makes a big difference as well at speeds

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yeah I actually remember my first day riding it. It didn't have a windshield fresh from the dealer and I was doing fine up to about 80mph ish. Oh and I also went with the mra double bubble windscreen. 

I've ridden a couple hundred highway miles at a time on occasion. Not very fun but bearable. 

I'd definitely be looking at a windshield if I did reasonably long trips regularly though.

I did a couple of multiday trips over the summer.  I have the Givi windscreen which isn't the best for wind protection (but I think it's the best looking).  I completely avoided the autobahn for anything more than 20 minutes.  I just don't enjoy it at all.  In 8200 km, I can count the number of times I've been on the autobahn on my fingers.  If you have a commute with highway, you'll probably want one of the larger windscreens.

12 hours ago, rider said:

@DewMan

The only gripe I have is the stock mirrors.

You can buy mirror extenders on ebay especially for Yamaha bikes (which involve left hand threads). They make a useful difference and I have had them on all my Yamahas.

Just do it! 

16 hours ago, Leo_7 said:

I am about to order my mt07 next week but I was wondering how bearable highway is, considering this is a naked bike with quite a small chassis.

First, I can say from my experience, I have done 525 miles in a day, and on a separate occasion I rode 700 miles in 1.5 days. The first ride was with no windscreen, and the second was with a Givi. Obviously the second one was an easier ride than the first, but ultimately I sold the Givi and got a Dart Manta which I have combined with the mirror extenders and Barkbuster Storm hand guards.

5a23f4ef5f5a0_IMG_1301(480x640).jpg.b66dfcbbd44615c225e3230586944542.jpg

My setup works great, and I wouldn't hesitate to ride cross country with it. Which leads me to Tiffani...

Tiffani is a member of this forum that has been blogging her riding experience on Motorcyclist Online, and she best describes that amount of highway riding she has done on a FZ-07:

"Over the course of this trek I can now proudly say I’ve covered 60,000 miles, 10 countries, three provinces of Canada, 49 states of the United States, and 31 states of Mexico on a motorcycle."

This was all done on a FZ-07 in around a year, so yes, the FZ-07 works just fine for the highway. Enjoy your new bike!

Here's a link to that blog:

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/tiffanis-yamaha-fz-07-tour-chapter-3-part-25

Thank you so much. Your bike looks great! 👍🏼 will probably be copying your setup to my own bike when I get it! Also thanks for sharing the link!

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

So far the only mod I've made to my FZ is the addition of a Puig Naked touring windscreen and I find it OK on the highway, although the bike seems a bit unsettled by strong cross winds or large vehicle turbulence at highway speeds--probably more a result of the stock suspension than anything else.  Enjoy your FZ--they're a great all round bike.

DSC_2914_2.thumb.jpg.f8ab64c1a7fe71e47121ed16851312b2.jpg

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

The biggest difference I have seen go unnoticed (or at least not in these discussions) is the jacket. I went from a very breathable summer jacket to a heavier, more airtight jacket, and it made a  world of difference. 

You did well to get the MRA double bubble. The thing I like about a small windscreen the most is on windy days it keeps the "excessive" wind blast off my chest (not the helmet unless I tuck in behind it) and I don't have to grip as hard. tight gripping can cause numbing and sometimes pain. It also helps to keep road debris from hitting you in the chest (that can hurt pretty bad sometimes, depending) but I mostly appreciate that I don't get off my bike with a bunch of gross looking dead bugs splattered on my front side. Maybe that's bragging rights for some, ha!

Beemer

Archived