The MT-07 Forum

Max Wattage for the FZ07?

zerofz07

Hi guys,   

I was interested in buying some heated gear for the cold weather that's coming here in Cali.  Its not weather I cant handle but i would like it to be a more warm and comfortable ride.

My question is what's the max excess wattage that i can use for the FZ07?  Currently i have an LED headlight, 36 watts and Clear water Aux lights, 24 watts each, 48 total with both.   The heated gear that ima get uses 46 watts so that would make a total of 130 watts total.    Would the FZ be able to handle it?

Thank you for your help.

I searched for weeks and never found an answer for this. I called my dealer and they emailed Yamaha, but never got a response. 

I have a Sylvania 65w headlight bulb and a pair of LED foods that pull 36w for the pair. I added Oxford heated grips which pull 60w at full tilt. Continually running all those items together has given me no problems. But I wish we could get a solid answer on what our spare available wattage is.

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

I searched for weeks and never found an answer for this. I called my dealer and they emailed Yamaha, but never got a response. 

I have a Sylvania 65w headlight bulb and a pair of LED foods that pull 36w for the pair. I added Oxford heated grips which pull 60w at full tilt. Continually running all those items together has given me no problems. But I wish we could get a solid answer on what our spare available wattage is.

with those 3 together it adds up to 161, more then what ima be pulling since i dont plan to add anymore accessories to my bike that pull more power.

Have you noticed any power loss or is everything still runing smoothly with everything turned on?

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Our manual says 24 watts total can be used on the aux plug. and that's all I can say with certainty about the auxiliary. I found this on a web site.

"• AC Magneto produces 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm." >  https://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2017/2017-Yamaha-FZ-07

is there anyway to confirm this is tru

The main fuse is 30 amps, so on can assume the system will draw less than 360 watts @ 12v. It would blow that fuse otherwise. So how much can you add w/o the battery losing ground? Guess that depends on how much less than that 360 max. 

Best way to know is with an ammeter, but that's not so easy. A voltage monitor will help you know if the charge voltage drops due to too much load. If at over 2k the charge voltage drops below 13v, the battery will start losing ground. Below 12, eventually it'll die and won't restart. 

Your 130 watts is actually 110 due to the more efficient headlight. Even still, I think you might be running the charge system in the red  

3 hours ago, zerofz07 said:

with those 3 together it adds up to 161, more then what ima be pulling since i dont plan to add anymore accessories to my bike that pull more power.

Have you noticed any power loss or is everything still runing smoothly with everything turned on?

No, everything has been working fine. Granted, I'm not talking about stop and go traffic where low engine speeds will not allow for much charging. I don't see much traffic in my riding. However, if I was in traffic, then I would not be burning the spots ( or the high beam in general). I also would not need the grips at full power in traffic ( no wind), so in a stop and go situation I don't think extra lights and such would be necessary/ hurting you. But cruising on the open road, everything has been fine. No apparent charging issues and the bike runs fine and smooth. 

Also, it's not really and additional 161 watts since the stock headlight bulb is already 55w. My bulb is only 10w higher than stock, so my total extra wattage draw is actually 105w.

48 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

I wish, but I could not find any solid info on this. I think in my searches that I read 430w @5k rpm (vs Beemer's 410w), but who know what is actually available. 

I'm thinking it takes up near 300 watts (maybe more) to run these bikes and keep the battery happy. LED lights sure will help as they draw less per lumen.

If you are riding blind - meaning no way to monitor charge voltage, I don't think the bike will give any indication that the battery is being run down until it's too darn late. Once that happens, you'll be looking for a hill to bump start the thing.

Both my bikes have one of these installed - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/kuryakyn-led-12-volt-battery-gauge?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7OyG8JXp1wIVCxGBCh2R1QIdEAQYAyABEgI4JvD_BwE

It saved my ass one day when the OE regulator failed on my Aprilia - instead of going further, I was able to turn around and go home.

15 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I hardly know what to say. I didn't just take one person's (articles) word for it. I saw several articles on the specs of the bike and they all matched each other, 410 watts of power @ 5,000rpm. I tend to believe they are professionals and when they all say the same thing it sort of rings of truth. I also don't know any of them to be liars and why would they lie so that helps with the trust issue.

Beemer

no reason to not believe that 410 watts. Page 2-10 of the service manual says 14V, 29.3A @5k RPM.

So 410.2 watt output.  

this will be of interest. http://www.powerlet.com/learningCenter/excessCapacity

Use the VStrom for comparo, so ~ 285 watts to run the bike less with an LED tail light and head light.. That leaves a fair amount of surplus to run the farkles 

19 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

Yep, P = I x E.  The math checks out, 410.2 watts it is. :)

I was doing some math too

I devided wattage times rpm subtracted 1/3 throttle and the results I got confirm by math, That Nancy Palosi is satan

:) 

Just keep adding stuf til the fuse blows then get a bigger fise ;)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

On 11/30/2017 at 4:09 PM, shinyribs said:

An update on this. 

I was out doing some Christmas shopping ( that's right, I said Christmas, not "holiday") and decided to test this out since I was doing a lot of in town, stop and go traffic. I turned the grip heaters to 100% ( pulls 60 watts) and it was obvious that they were not fully heating up at all. Much cooler than they normally are when steady cruising at higher rpms. The bike never had an issue, and I never experience a slow crank when restarting the bike, but my bike was bought and prepped in late August, so my battery is still very fresh. An older,weaker battery may have discharged to the point of having issues. 

I think it's apparent that the stock charging system can tolerate a few added accessories, but I believe it does not put out enough excess wattage to power much if you are just cruising through town. 

Archived