The MT-07 Forum

How long before all electric?

r1limited

I've been looking (internet) at the Alta and Zero dual sports as a substitute for my DRZ400. I think the range for me would be adequate since most of my rides are within an hour of our mountain cabin. I wouldn't need to carry extra fuel up or care for the air filter in our dusty, granite Sierra's. I've grown tired of hearing the constant braaappp of the bikes and quads that have found our area irresistible in the last 20 yrs. I would like to sneak around up there on an electric bike. I think if I got to ride either alta or zero dual sports models I'd probably be sold. I know they're expensive but that doesn't put me off due to the advantages I would realize (in my case). If I were 20 yrs. younger, I would just wait another 10 yrs. to see if battery technology would take a quantum leap but at my age the existing e bikes might just be adequate and from most ride reviews and cruizin's testimonial...a hoot to ride. 

I went down to San Jose BMW where they also carry the Zero line of bikes...I just had to see what they looked like in person and in particular, how the FX dual sport model fit me. Well it appeared to be well built and while rocking side to side felt lighter than it's claimed 289#, all the Zero models are belt drive but the FX has a chain conversion in their catalog for real off road stuff. The seat widens out more than an MX bike and the Showa suspension (fully adjustable) has 8.9" front and 8.4" rear travel(no linkage) and at 5'9" I could just flat foot it. 

The nice sales person, Amy, asked if I'd like to take it for a demo ride and in a flash I was back from my car with my gear. The FX has 3 motor output modes, eco, sport and custom (up to you). After a quick check out and a recommendation to start out in eco for a few blocks I was off. The first block or so I was reaching for a clutch lever but soon forgot all about clutching and shifting and actually really enjoyed the seamless acceleration without the shifting of gears and boy does the little FX accelerate, even in eco mode. In 'sport mode' the acceleration was much brisker and easily lofted the front wheel a couple feet with a quick twist of the very smooth and linear throttle....this bike is uncannily easy to ride and could be easily ridden below a slow walking speed with ease and so, I stood on the pegs and while barely moving played like a trials bike circling piles of leaves in one neighborhood before blasting quietly, but insanely fast, away. The motor is direct drive so no reduction gearing to create noise and the belt was almost silent and unlike in YouTube videos there was a lot less noise than I had expected. I became a 60 + yr. old hooligan laughing in my helmet and realizing that this was the most fun I've had on a motorcycle in a long time and no one, pedestrian or home owner knew that I was terrorizing their neighborhoods. I have no idea how it would handle in the dirt but I've watched enough videos to suggest that it might be good enough.

Expensive? Yes at $10,000.00 plus. Range? No idea really since it's very hard to not twist that throttle...only real way to know would be to spend a lot more time on the bike but I'd love to put it to the test. Real dirt bike? Maybe but not like the Alta EXR (dual sport?) Sort of, more like an MX bike with street legal parts..( the Alta) a real dirt bike, just go on YouTube and check out Electrobraap's rides and reviews. My next demo will be the Alta EXR and according to Electrobraap's testing has about a 3 hr. range while climbing all over Carnegies (OHV) hills which he was able to do while in Eco mode. The Alta is more expensive than the Zero.

I hated to take the bike back but after about 20 minutes and with 94% power remaining I had learned enough about electric m/c's to know that I want one. They are for a certain type of rider, conditions etc. but man are they FUN and the light ones very very quick. Even if you say you don't think you'd like one, you really owe it to yourself to go try one, I think you'll be surprised.

Just now, markstertt said:

I hated to take the bike back but after about 20 minutes and with 94% power remaining I had learned enough about electric m/c's to know that I want one. They are for a certain type of rider, conditions etc. but man are they FUN and the light ones very very quick. Even if you say you don't think you'd like one, you really owe it to yourself to go try one, I think you'll be surprised.

Damn I hate change! Between my daughter making me try foo foo coffee and guys like you coercing me to like/try electrics or anything else new, I don't know what I'm gonna do. Society had reached its zeneth with the 2 stroke streetbike like a few months ago but oh no, we had to make progress.

I ain't gonna ride one.

Well, maybe once...but I won't like it 

Where the hell'd I put my smartphone?

Sorry, I love the looks, sound and complexity of 4 strokes and especially the visual aspect of air cooled engines. I still have a bunch of old Triumphs, my bought new 1975 Kawi Z1, FZ-07, DRZ etc. but....that electric, no shifting, hard accelerating, wheelie popping, stealthy little FX had me giggling in my helmet. If I had no dirt aspirations, I'd try the FXS which is the 17" wheeled version of the FX. Without a clutch lever or shifter, the FX felt even more naked than a naked bike, like the first time I flew in a side stick airplane...no yoke or stick in front of you or between your legs...just felt weird...at first.

I went to school with the son of our local Harley dealer, whole career selling and repairing Harley's, back in the '50's & '60's but after he sold the business he went out and bought a then, brand new,  Honda CB750...we couldn't believe it. His response? "I'm tired of fixing those Harleys, I just want to ride." Sort of same idea with electric bike I think...would make a great second bike for sure but would never replace my kick start Triumphs...nothing like the ritual of checking the oil, tickling the Amals  and leaning on that kick starter. But...were I to own that little FX...well, it would for sure be the go to, around town bike. 6:00 AM and you want to wheelie down to your favorite coffee spot or just up the hill behind the neighborhood to watch the sun rise? No need to warm it up, no need to be quiet or short shift....just twist the throttle and go...breaking every speed limit and demonstration of power law on the way....and no one but you would know it and all that the neighbors might hear would be a little buzzing overshadowed by a lot of giggling. You've got to go ride one...seriously! If you can ride the FX and not have a lot of fun, then I'll eat my spark plug socket. And did I mention that it's really quick? In every youtube video, the Zero FX and the Alta EX easily out dragged the Yamaha 426 and 450 MXer's that they were pitted against...easily. The powerband is instant and continuous...a real E ticket ride.  

I think electric bikes are at that first Sony 42" flat screen stage, remember that TV? $10,000.00 back then, what's a small flat screen cost now? A couple hundred bucks. Oh well, each to his own but as soon as there is another big battery breakthrough, I think there will be a whole bunch of e bikes on the roads and trails. I would just hope that they (batteries) would be backward compatible so that the older ebikes wouldn't become obsolete.

3 hours ago, mossrider said:

Shut up. 

Shut up!

I just Google nearest dealer.

Ass.

Hook, line  & resistor...best take a shop rag to wipe the smile off your face.

48 minutes ago, markstertt said:

Hook, line  & resistor...best take a shop rag to wipe the smile off your face.

The University of Nottingham bike my buddy rode in the I.O.M. and NW200,

(fella might need to upgrade his multi meter to figger thisun out)

36596078_2196057943960343_2419531167200968704_n.jpg

Not so much of a problem in Aus, but a Zero ain't gonna let the bears know you are coming. And from what I hear a startled bear in not a lot of fun. Same goes for pumas...

I know the mtb riders put bells on the bike that jangle all the time. Might be a bit annoyng and not give enough warning on a fast ebike.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

4 hours ago, gregjet said:

Not so much of a problem in Aus, but a Zero ain't gonna let the bears know you are coming. And from what I hear a startled bear in not a lot of fun. Same goes for pumas...

I know the mtb riders put bells on the bike that jangle all the time. Might be a bit annoyng and not give enough warning on a fast ebike.

That's definitely a consideration, although I've surprised them on the DRZ and in the Jeep so not to concerned unless the battery is down to '0%' remaining...maybe drag a ham behind the bike...and sneak away while they dine on swine. 

I took the FZ-07 for a typical local ride for me just to see what kind of mileage was involved to compare to the claimed range of the smaller Zero FX which is 91 miles city and 54 miles for city/highway combined. My ride took about an hour and ended up covering just 36 miles...seemingly within range of the Zero FX.. Zero has street bikes (heavier and more$) that claim over 200 miles city and from 100 to 150 miles combined city/highway depending on model...pay your money and take your pick. Anyway, I see that as a second or third bike, I think an electric would be a fun and viable option.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, mossrider said:

The University of Nottingham bike my buddy rode in the I.O.M. and NW200,

(fella might need to upgrade his multi meter to figger thisun out)

36596078_2196057943960343_2419531167200968704_n.jpg

He needs at least one more ty wrap there on the right...

One other comment for you (us) older guys with maybe a little arthritis or hands that get numb during a ride...my clutch hand  takes a beating on the FZ-07 at the base of thumb/palm intersect and my throttle hand gets numb on my DRZ dirt riding. Now, on the FZ-07, I'm pretty sure the handle bars are just the wrong bend for me and it may help to change them out but since the Zero FX has no clutch and is electric motor smooth, I doubt if I'd have any hand numbness issues and that would definitely increase my riding pleasure...just something to think about. And if you've ridden a dirt bike with a Rekluse clutch and thought "Wow, this is like cheating" then imagine a high torque, unstallable  and seamless power band that pulls from 0-85 mph. Also for some strange reason it was much easier to stand on the pegs and ride super slow than attempting the same on my DRZ...maybe someone has a thought on this?

Zero currently has a ride and buy $500 incentive program until the end of the month....I am just about there....have to sell a few relics but I'm not riding them anymore anyway.

I

13 hours ago, markstertt said:

Now, on the FZ-07, I'm pretty sure the handle bars are just the wrong bend for me and it may help to change them 

I turned the bars around a bit to help that problem, on another bike

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

Now, on the FZ-07, I'm pretty sure the handle bars are just the wrong bend for me and it may help to change them

I thought the same thing until I rotated my bars towards me about an inch and a half.  Rotating them a bit one way or the other is definitely worth experimenting with. 😉 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:55 AM, bornagainbiker said:

I thought the same thing until I rotated my bars towards me about an inch and a half.  Rotating them a bit one way or the other is definitely worth experimenting with. 😉 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:18 AM, robbo10 said:

I

I turned the bars around a bit to help that problem, on another bike

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I still think I would like a bit more sweep back angle.

Electric follow up...once I got the ok from the wife (reverse psychology?) I took a harder look at the electric bike and even though the FX was an absolute blast to ride I'm not sure about reliability and what I would do out in the boonies if it just decided not to go...the old DRZ has never even burped much less let me down. I still need to ride the Alta EXR though, it's more dirt biased than the Zero which means a lot taller and more suspension...the Zero FX was a much better fit for me, lower seat height, shorter wheel base, more compact but a test ride on the Alta would be enlightening and needs to happen.

They seem to be fitting smaler tanks to bikes these days. Am I right? Are they preparing us for electric?

Just do it! 

On 7/21/2018 at 8:03 AM, robbo10 said:

They seem to be fitting smaler tanks to bikes these days. Am I right? Are they preparing us for electric?

Nah, It's just the usual antiAussie conspiracy...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 3 months later...

Archived