The MT-07 Forum

Dainese quality. (or lack of)

sunblock

I bought a pair of Dainese Scout Evo Goretex gloves 4 years ago, and they have now torn a seam on the left index finger.

I took them back to the official Dainese dealership in Athens, Greece and told them I had them for 2 years. I didn't have the receipt at hand, and at the time I honestly thought I had them for 2 years. (time flies).

The response I got was that it is to be expected, and it is normal wear. He said that 2 years is more than enough for a glove's life expectancy.

I started complaining that these were premium gloves at a premium price, and they should last for a lot more than 2 years.

Another salesman came by to support his colleague, agreeing with him that after 2 years a tear is to be expected.

This is the last time I'm buying anything from Dainese.

Anything like that happened to you? Are you happy in general with the Dainese quality?

2017-11-2818.55.59.th.jpg

I would be very upset if my gloves only lasted 2 years, I have some Frank Tomas gloves that are 6 years old and in great condition and some leather gloves that I purchased from Cycle gear (not very expensive) and they are 8 years old and just starting to split.. I have never bought Dainese gear but I would expect a lot more than 2 years (even if you wore them every day!) which I do as I ride to work most days!!

Gary

They actually lasted 4 years, but the salesman was adamant that even 2 years are enough to show tears like that. It's perfectly normal according to them.

14 hours ago, sunblock said:

I bought a pair of Dainese Scout Evo Goretex gloves 4 years ago, and they have now torn a seam on the left index finger.

I took them back to the official Dainese dealership in Athens, Greece and told them I had them for 2 years. I didn't have the receipt at hand, and at the time I honestly thought I had them for 2 years. (time flies).

The response I got was that it is to be expected, and it is normal wear. He said that 2 years is more than enough for a glove's life expectancy.

I started complaining that these were premium gloves at a premium price, and they should last for a lot more than 2 years.

Another salesman came by to support his colleague, agreeing with him that after 2 years a tear is to be expected.

Anything like that happened to you? Are you happy in general with the Dainese quality?

So you freakin lied to them and you get pissed

Wow, just freakin wow

You are real special guy

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

8 hours ago, YZEtc said:

I never got 4 years of constant use out of any of my gloves.

Usually, it's one pair per season.

This comforts me.

5 hours ago, r1limited said:

So you freakin lied to them and you get pissed

Wow, just freakin wow

You are real special guy

Calm down there Judge Dredd.

I didn't lie, I made a mistake. I didn't have the receipt at hand and I miscalculated how many years had passed. When I went home and found the receipt I realized that it was 4 and not 2.

That's not the point.

The point is that the official answer from the Dainese employee is that Dainese gloves have a life expectancy of two years. If that's not useful information to you, that's cool, no biggie.
For me, when I pay good money for something I want it to perform accordingly. That said, I don't think I'll be buying Dainese ever again.

So the question is:
Gloves. How long should they last? What's your experience?

In my case, I lose them before I get to wear them down.

My dainese summer boots and jacket are like new after 4 years of use. As I also live in Athens, the summer gear is used close to 9 months per year.

On the other hand I had dainese summer gloves fail after two years while my winter tucano urbano gloves are going strong 6 years now.

6 hours ago, sunblock said:

This comforts me.

Calm down there Judge Dredd.

I didn't lie, I made a mistake. I didn't have the receipt at hand and I miscalculated how many years had passed. When I went home and found the receipt I realized that it was 4 and not 2.

That's not the point.

The point is that the official answer from the Dainese employee is that Dainese gloves have a life expectancy of two years. If that's not useful information to you, that's cool, no biggie.
For me, when I pay good money for something I want it to perform accordingly. That said, I don't think I'll be buying Dainese ever again.

So the question is:
Gloves. How long should they last? What's your experience?

In my case, I lose them before I get to wear them down.

Judge Dredd: Death. Court's adjourned.

:)

I have had my Coretechs for 10 years, I am now replacing them, like my leathers and boots and helmets I take care of them.  Dianese has a limit to warranty as all manuafactures do, no matter of intentional or not the "Mistake" they simply told you what they establish as normal wear to extreme.  I have worn ou gloves in a singl erace season, single year and went through many gloves running dirt aka cross country.  Moral of the story, expensive doesnt make better. and getting ticked off over a life expectancy policy?  well my priorities are more toward having to have to pay for someone getting thier wanker cut off and turned inside out.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I've heard of as little as one year of use being considered normal, but two years is pretty common. I really like my Held Evo Thrux gauntlets (<$200). I've crashed in them hitting palm first and still reused the pair. Can't really give a good review on non-crash use longevity since I've crashed in both pairs I've purchased. Stitching still seems quite solid on the mangled first pair.

I had gloves rendered useless from sweating a lot when touring around southern europe in summer. 12 week trip and the gloves were pretty much used up. $130 Vanucci race style gloves.

Yours look like you keep rubbing them in the same spot?

Want to know the life expectancy of a Tennise shoe that NB and the big guns say?  and you pay as high as a few hunerd bucks fer dem

Show him these pics of my waterproof Joe Rocket Ballistic winter gloves that I've used on and off since 1884 (Now that's a typo! I meant 1984). I just unboxed them to use them another winter and there's not one tear anywhere.

IMG_0715.JPG

Beemer

upsetting it is :)

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Show him these pics of my waterproof Joe Rocket Ballistic winter gloves that I've used on and off since 1884. 

Wow!  Those gloves are like 134 years old!  Joe Rocket was making gloves before motorcycles were invented!  Talk about market predictions.  😆

7 minutes ago, rider said:

Wow!  Those gloves are like 134 years old!  Joe Rocket was making gloves before motorcycles were invented!  Talk about market predictions.  😆

Great Grand Pappy Joe Rocket originally made them for slappin' mules on the ass all day to get them moving.  A hand could get awfully blistered doing that. Then one day he had a prophetic vision and named his first boy Harley. All that might not be true but I swear the story is real. 😇

Beemer

• Premium Member

You're not going to get a consistent answer. It's just like tire wear. It all depends on so many variables - how you ride, where you ride...

Years aren't a helpful measure. Not everyone rides the same amount over the same length of time. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Whether you like it or not, gloves are consumables.  4 years is a damn good time to get out of gloves.  You are constantly rubbing it and applying friction on its surface.  And unless you are conditioning the leather regularly- which I highly doubt anyone does for their gloves, leather won't hold up well in weather.

You seem to be confusing gloves with jackets.  Jackets will last a long time assuming you don't crash.  Gloves on the other hand- be prepared to buy a new one every few years based on how you wore out the Daineses.

I'm sorry but a lot of people can't agree with your half-ass assessment that 4 years means lack of quality.  Sort of like that one guy on here who said Revzilla has bad customer service.  If it doesn't make sense to everyone else, then its either a fluke or you are wrong.  Its time to live in reality on reality's terms.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

28 minutes ago, motomeek said:

You're not going to get a consistent answer. It's just like tire wear. It all depends on so many variables - how you ride, where you ride...

Years aren't a helpful measure. Not everyone rides the same amount over the same length of time. 

But 134 year old gloves, that's saying something! Ha!

Beemer

Given any brand with premium pricing, if they don't have the reputation and warranty to support that pricing, I will always go with the cheaper, disposable option or look at the "best bang for your buck" price range. Yeah my gear might mismatch, and some might only last a single season, but you're not going to be subjected to the buyers remorse "top" brands can f@#k you with.

Gloves are one of the biggest wear items in terms of accessories. They see a lot of abuse, sweat, moisture, and sun. I don't buy the most expensive brake pads on my cars and bikes, and I won't buy the most expensive gloves.

That being said, the quality from FIVE brand (i believe they exclusively make gloves) has been outstanding for me and at very reasonable pricing. https://five-gloves.com/catalogue/?gcat=2-street-urban

I had a pair of Cortech dirt bike gloves that wore out after a couple of years.  I thought that was pretty good so I bought the exact same thing to replace them.  The new pair didn't last but a few months before the stitching started to come apart in a couple of places.  Same thing with a pair of the lower end street gloves from Alpinestars.  Two pair with completely different quality.  I guess it just depends on who sewed them or what kind of thread they used that week.

I would figure 2 years of daily use of any glove would be great.  I can't see spending over $200.00 on gloves unless they guarantee them unconditionally for maybe 3 or 4 years. 

It seems to be like HD and John Deere, you're paying top dollar for a reputation, not quality.

On 11/29/2017 at 6:27 AM, sunblock said:

A lot of different things can affect the lifespan of leather gear. Mainly, it's environment. If you ride in a lot of rain, salt water areas, your hands sweat much, you used your gloved hand to wipe sweat away from your face, your levers had a rough surface,etc....the list goes on. 

Since leather is a dead material, you have to work actively to preserve it to prevent it from decomposing, but it will eventually die someday no matter how hard you try. 

Judging by your photo, your glove wore out at one of the most active places for a glove to see use. Stitched areas in general are already the weakest zone, due to being perforated by the stitching process, then add to that how much movement that glove finger will see when actuating the clutch ( which we do A LOT) and it's not unusual to see that as the first area to fail. My two clutch fingers on my gloves are ALWAYS the first place to wear through. 

I don't know how many miles/ gear changes the glove has seen in the last 4 years, but if not properly cared for, any 4 year old leather garment is likely to be very dried out and prone to cracking/ripping such as your did. I'm not saying you abused your glove, but it's easy to forget just how much being exposed to constant high wind speeds can dry out leather riding gear. Leather riding gear needs much more care to prevent drying out than a normal pair of gloves that you would wear in a non-motorcycle situation. 

My Dainese jacket is about 4 years old now and still looks and feels like brand new. I retreat the leather a few times per year. Oil changes are a good thing to use as a reminder.  Constant exposure to sunlight, wind and rain is hard on leather. If my jacket started coming apart at the seams tomorrow I would be very upset ( I love that jacket and, like you, paid a premium price for it), but I don't know if I would be angry at Dainese about or not. Four years is a long time. But for sake of argument, I do have a 15 year old pair of Firstgears that are still rocking strong...

so... just because something is made by dainese, it should be impervious to the forces of friction?

you could try a different material like the ones below, but then you would wear out your levers and grips.

also if you dont wear out some gloves in 2 years, youre not riding enough or hard enough.

just my 2 schmeckles

knight-gloves-S03NPF.thumb.jpg.8a963b7b43b6e46b2da33ffed64a4268.jpg

I do not copy and paste nor quote other peoples opinion to offer some cockamamy jabberwocky bloviated uneducated response just to hear me type into some obvious attempt to some bombastic approach to define a posterior thinking process.  Simply I will say

Your gloves wore out, buy some new ones for craps sake

Archived