The MT-07 Forum

My brand new MT07... got laid down by my girlfriend. Some advice.

Leo Vannucci

37 minutes ago, Leo Vannucci said:

My second bike, 10 years later, was a '10 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide (with a 96ci engine). My friend started to sell the bike to me via payments, so I had the bike for close to 4 months and used it as my daily driver. Then, he decided he didn't want to sell it, gave me the money back and I remained bike-less.

Is that guy your GF's brother :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Grip it & Rip it
59 minutes ago, Leo Vannucci said:

_Yeah, definitely on my list! I am getting the whole set from SW Mototech, I think they look the best, plus I already got the kickstand "shoe" thing from them and it's top notch.

I was wondering, what about the footpegs and brake/shift levers? on my bike, the footpeg did touch the ground and it snapped the curb feeler metal piece it had screwed under it. Will a slider help avoiding that too?

You’re right that a few bits stick out past the frame sliders... the other night when I laid mine down I was really wrestling with the bike and it went down so slowly that my shift lever and brake lever were spotless. So yeah, I guess sliders won’t protect everything, but they still protect a lot in such a case. I think my CRG levers have replaceable tips, so you could look into those or similar levers.

Similar thing happened to me except I was sitting on it. The bars twisted around the head but were not bent. Apparently they are supposed to do that sometimes. The dealer stood around the wheel and pulled the bars straight. So, if your bars are pointing North when you are travelling North all should be well. I think the bars themselves should not bend in a soft drop. 

Just do it! 

Well I just got home. This is kinda funny. I sat on the bike to check if they are straight (I honestly think they are, I mean, and if they not, hopefully it will be a quick adjustment at the dealership) and as I was getting off the bike I looked at my brake lever... apparently in all this time, I never did. The lever is bent lol! It’s curved slightly in the right direction, looks like a violin. I never noticed! Man, that’s an extra part I will have to add to my order.

35 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

Similar thing happened to me except I was sitting on it. The bars twisted around the head but were not bent. Apparently they are supposed to do that sometimes. The dealer stood around the wheel and pulled the bars straight. So, if your bars are pointing North when you are travelling North all should be well. I think the bars themselves should not bend in a soft drop. 

What do you mean twisted around the head? Pointing north?

1 hour ago, Leo Vannucci said:

I think what he means is under normal circumstances the bars should be in a lateral position perpendicular to the alignment of said standing bike. But then it was not standing anymore was it :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Just to be at ease... since the bike was laid down on It’s right side, and something must’ve moved on the alignment of the bike... if I would be to ride it on a straight line, will it theoretically “go left” or “go right” when the hablebars/wheel was “straight”?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Actually, it kind of is.

My first "chronological" bike....

Perfect. Then don't worry about the bars being bent (chance are that they're not and, even if they were, you wouldn't even notice unless they were really badly bent).
Turn the handlebars all the way to the left and right and make sure they don't hit the gas tank (if they do then you'll just need to raise them up a bit). You can also check that they're centered in the handlebar risers. You shouldn't worry about that too much.

It took me a while to replace my handlebars and at that point they were noticeably bent after many drops and a really slow lowside at the track.

you could see how bent my handlebars were when i replaced them here:

11 hours ago, Leo Vannucci said:

If you fix the front wheel to stop it turning (as in steering) it is possible to pull the bars out of alignment.This is what dropping the bike did to my MT-03. So my bars would be pointing to the left even though I was going straight. The dealer adjusted (pulled) mine back to straight and said it was not necessary to tighten any nuts - this is supposed to happen, he said (in the  circumstances of such a 'crash').  Hope this helps. 

Just do it! 

Regarding the direction of misalignment. It depends on which way your bars/wheel was turned when it grounded: if to the left then the bars would be hit further to the left. If turned to the right then of course they will be hit to the right, possibly with some tank damage. I would not get too hung on this and if they look (and feel) correct then they probably are. Surely no serious damage would be likely with a drop such as yours, especially with your woman taking much of the impact? What better drop is it possible to imagine - from the bike's perspective, at least?!   I am glad she was unhurt. 

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

The components that you are replacing can easily be replaced without a trip to the dealer. Even if you are "mechanically challenged"- totally doable.... If you don't want to spend the money for a factory service manual, I suggest YouTube. There is an insane amount to views out there that can help you through this. I too have bit of OCD, and because of that I NEVER take my bike to a dealer. FYI: On Yamaha, the right side mirror (throttle side) is a left hand thread where it goes into the handlebar mount. I have no idea why this is? It's just a "Yamaha thing"..... Good luck, you got this-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Great, the dealer doesn't have the lever in stock so I'll have to wait for 3 weeks, good thing is that with the lever as it is, I can still ride the bike no problem.

Question, what are the numbers on the lever for? I've tried turning it from 1 to 5 and nothing really changes. I've seen these same numbers on CRG levers too.

How does it all work?

Owning a motorcycle and being OCD is a very bad combo.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

I agree... however, I'm trying to be productive with this whole situation and think as this MT07 as my first bike, how I've lñearned to NEVER LEND MY BIKE and finally, I know that I will try my best not to ever drop this or any future bike.

This is the first of hopefully more bikes, as soon as I get it spanking new with all the parts, I will be on my way to riding and enjoying the hell out of it. As long as everything is PERFECT.... (OCD kicking in).

3 minutes ago, guylee said:

She dumps your bike, you dump her. 

'nuff said!

Man, thank God these Yamaha parts aren't expensive at all, I'm looking at around 250 bucks for the whole thing. What if this was a BMW or Ducati? She didn't even say "I'm sorry"! man! lol

1 hour ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Question, what are the numbers on the lever for? I've tried turning it from 1 to 5 and nothing really changes. I've seen these same numbers on CRG levers too.

How does it all work?

I have only recently dicovered the following: if you push the brake lever away from the bar and hold it there, you will be able to usefully change the numbers. The numbers represent a position which is the lever's distance from the bar - set a number to suit your hand size. 

Just do it! 

2 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

I have only recently dicovered the following: if you push the brake lever away from the bar and hold it there, you will be able to usefully change the numbers. The numbers represent a position which is the lever's distance from the bar - set a number to suit your hand size. 

I figured that much, except I really don't see or feel a difference at all. Which one is closer to the hand, 1 or 5?

3 minutes ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Which one is closer to the hand, 1 or 5?

Sorry, I have no idea. Others may be along shortly.

Just do it! 

The other side of the story is that I will have the bike back to it's original shape (which is basically, a couple of stupid cosmetic things, but I'm crazy).

Then, I will do the fowwloing, so I make sure it all leaves my mind entirely:

1) Bar end mirrors from CRG (Arrow model)

2) RAM ball mounts to cover both holes left by the original mirrors

3) Lightech rear sets with foldable pegs (the standard set, not the R)

4) CRG Roll click brake and clutch levers (foldable)

5) SW Mototech complete set of sliders (engine, front and back, etc).

How does that sound?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Leo Vannucci said:

The other side of the story is that I will have the bike back to it's original shape (which is basically, a couple of stupid cosmetic things, but I'm crazy).

Then, I will do the fowwloing, so I make sure it all leaves my mind entirely:

1) Bar end mirrors from CRG (Arrow model)

2) RAM ball mounts to cover both holes left by the original mirrors

3) Lightech rear sets with foldable pegs (the standard set, not the R)

4) CRG Roll click brake and clutch levers (foldable)

5) SW Mototech complete set of sliders (engine, front and back, etc).

How does that sound?

It's a good start...... I'm all about bike protection though. I did the whole T-Rex package- frame sliders, axle sliders (front & rear) case sliders (both sides), and rear "spool adapters" with T-rex spools. I later added a Woodcraft water pump slider- If I could do it over, I'd do it differently though... My personal opinion: T-Rex makes the best case sliders available for the money. Woodcraft does everything else better... The T-Rex rear spool adapters are "for amusement only"- don't waste your money. They never fit right, nor did they stay where they should be. When I finally gave up on them, my swing arm was scratched up pretty bad. I bought some cheap "Ebay brackets" that bolt solidly onto the rear of the swing arm. I was able to retrofit the rear spools onto them. The T-Rex frame sliders are pretty nice, but I feel the Woodcraft ones are just as nice, and half the price. The axle sliders are about the same between T-Rex, & Woodcraft- priced the same, and appear to to the same thing for about the same amount of money. Just comes down to personal preference. Hope that helps you out-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I had a girlfriend once

She asked me to teach her to ride my sl70 / 110 flat tracker bad ass little pit bike

So I says sure thing babes

Hold this thing in (Clutch)

Hold this thing wide open (Throttle)

Push down on that thing (Shifter)

Let go of that (Clutch)

The proceeding 5 seconds was the funniest shet you ever saw, when it was done I had no girlfriend, my buddies were rolling on the gorund, one of my buds was so pissed at me she slammed intot he side of his car

Ya them was the days, whe GFs were a dime a dozens and buds was buds

I have stopped taking r1limited seriously as I doubt he has the ability to be serious about anything - I just larf (or shake my head) and pretend he's just stirring the pot 😄

Archived