The MT-07 Forum

My brand new MT07... got laid down by my girlfriend. Some advice.

Leo Vannucci

Hey guys!

I bought myself a brand new satin black MT07, had to wait 3 months for it to get from Japan to the dealer, and the bike is a beauty, I had no idea how much I was gonna really like it. I've ordered a lot of accessories for it, gone crazy with the "honey moon" stage lol.... I mean, I ride the bike everyday and everytime I'm done riding, I grab a pair of microfiber cloths and run them through the bike... This is to give you an idea about how much I'm taking care of this bike.

A couple of weeks ago, my girlfriend asked me to take some pics of her on the bike, so we did. The bike was off, and she wanted to take the stand rest out of the ground so it would look as if the bike was not standing still, so we did. I got distracted for 2 seconds, and next thing I know is that she felt the bike I guess moved forward a couple of centimeters (the bike was off, but I guess it moved, the ground wasn't level, etc), and she grabbed the front brake like crazy, making the bike come to a full stop, to which she got scared and started to fall to the right side... It all happened too fast, I ran for it but when I got there, the bike had landed on most of her body - btw, she's kay, not even a tiny bruise, but, some parts did touch the ground, and, even though it was ever so slightly, here's the list:

1) The right side "air intake" fairing, where the Yamaha logo is, got scratched right in the logo and around it, not cracked or broken, just scratched.

2) The right  handlebar end, got scrateched a little bit.

3) The right mirror has some slight scratches.

4) The brake pedal seems to be fine, but the side of it feels scratched, wouldn't know if it got somehow bent a little or not.

5) The footpeg behind the brake pedal got the curb feeler snapped off (broken off from the pedal), and has the side with some scratches.

That's it; So here's what I did. I went to the Yamaha dealer, and ordered all of the parts I've mentioned above. Should be here in a couple weeks. I will do some stuff by myself like changing the fairing and mirror, but I guess I do need some help and will take it to the dealership, for them to install the brake pedal and footpeg.

Has anybody ever had to change similar parts on their MT07?

I would love to know if the Yamaha emblem comes as a sticker or do I need to use some sort of special glue?

Also, if they install the brake pedal and footpeg, since they both use "rivets" or "pins" at the end... do you think they will be able to make them look just the way they should as they came from the factory?

Finally... from what I just described (the way the bike got laid down), do you think something else might have happened to it, such as, taken the front wheel out of alignment? check for any other stuff?

Thanks!!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off is this your girlfriend, she is hot

Second is she still your girlfreind?

***INSERT JOKING***

There is no reason you cannot do the repairs yourself, by a Service manual and save labor costs from the dealership.  I cannot help you with wemon who fall off bikes while sitting still.

ducati-v4-panigale-dropped-eicma-1-1200x800.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Lol guys.... yeah, she's still my girlfriend; I actually felt odd when I was almost in tears picking up my bike from the ground and I barelñy looked at her.... lol!

If you're confident changing any of those components I would definitely change out the other components as well, as mentioned above. None of those items require a stand, any special tools, or removal of other parts to install. Should be a piece of cake.

1 hour ago, Leo Vannucci said:

Lol guys.... yeah, she's still my girlfriend; I actually felt odd when I was almost in tears picking up my bike from the ground and I barelñy looked at her.... lol!

Ya know, an enterprising guy could wittle this into some ....

Damn it I hate when my mind goes to the gutter

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I was talking to the dealer and I think I will have them do everything, since the price they will charge is very cheap, and it will have the warrantee from Yamaha...

The bike is brand new, it doesn't even have plates lol, so what I want them to do is replace these parts which are very easy to do, and then have the "idea" that my bike is still brand new and that "nothing happened".

I think it's totally doable, except the fact that I wouldn't know if I should check for important stuff like something that will involve the steereing or whatever that laying down a bike will cause.

I'd be inclined to kick her in the teef  and if knock a toof out ah ya can always get dentures.

thats how I'd feel about ma bike.

hot or not bike is hotter and cheaper and it doesn't give you lip nor as expensive.lol😰

• Global Moderator

seems like you've made up your mind, but its seriously possible to do all the work yourself. 

It shouldnt take much longer than an hour to strip her naked and put on the shiny new parts if you have the allen wrenches

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

5 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

seems like you've made up your mind, but its seriously possible to do all the work yourself. 

It shouldnt take much longer than an hour to strip her naked and put on the shiny new parts if you have the allen wrenches

We are talking about stripping the bike naked right?

Another vote for DIY. Then take the money you saved and take your actual lady (not the bike) out to a nice dinner with the savings as a reminder of where your priorities should be. It sounds like you made her feel awful for an honest mistake. Heck, see if she'll help you fix it; even if that is just passing you wrenches, the quality time matters in the long run. Maybe I'm just weird and like hanging out with my wife...

• Global Moderator
23 minutes ago, r1limited said:

We are talking about stripping the bike naked right?

Why not both?

20 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

Another vote for DIY. Then take the money you saved and take your actual lady (not the bike) out to a nice dinner with the savings as a reminder of where your priorities should be. It sounds like you made her feel awful for an honest mistake. Heck, see if she'll help you fix it; even if that is just passing you wrenches, the quality time matters in the long run. Maybe I'm just weird and like hanging out with my wife...

And he should take the bike out to dinner... not the gf. 

At this point she doesnt deserve it.... poor poor fz 

But having her help fix the bike would be a good lesson. Also if it ends up you need parts... ive got a few stockers laying about. Might even toss em up on the classified section here eventually

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

19 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

My wife hates motorcycles, she wont sit in the garage with me nor will she ride.  I like it that way its my time alone with the mistress's.  She asked me why I married her since I knew she hated bikes, I reposnd with why did you marry me when you knew full well motorcycling is my first love?  If I insist she hep me and sit with me, then I have to go to nail solons, hair dressers and UG SHOPPING MALLS. 

I love hangin with the wife, best freind I ever had, but I gots me limits and she has hers :)

The thing is, yes, I have thought about DIY, but, here's the deal...

1) I have some serious OCD... so basically, anything that turns out anything than perfecft while me doing it, will turn into a very bad time for me. I think it's better for me to have someone, like Yamaha, do it, and gimme some sort of guarrantee...

2) If I mess anything up (break any of the parts) while doing it, that means I will have to be responsible, pay again and wait the export time. 

2 hours ago, Leo Vannucci said:

I was talking to the dealer and I think I will have them do everything, since the price they will charge is very cheap, and it will have the warrantee from Yamaha...

The bike is brand new, it doesn't even have plates lol, so what I want them to do is replace these parts which are very easy to do, and then have the "idea" that my bike is still brand new and that "nothing happened".

I think it's totally doable, except the fact that I wouldn't know if I should check for important stuff like something that will involve the steereing or whatever that laying down a bike will cause.

Just to put your worries to bed, the likelihood that any components were damaged more than just surface scuffs is extremely unlikely, especially when considering that the bike was dropped from a stop and fell on top of a person. The stock bars are pretty weak so I suppose they could bend, but again highly unlikely.

10 minutes ago, ddog said:

The stock bars are pretty weak so I suppose they could bend, but again highly unlikely.

You just ruined his day

15 minutes ago, ddog said:

Just to put your worries to bed, the likelihood that any components were damaged more than just surface scuffs is extremely unlikely, especially when considering that the bike was dropped from a stop and fell on top of a person. The stock bars are pretty weak so I suppose they could bend, but again highly unlikely.

What do you mean by bars? Handlebars?

Damn it, I didn't take that into consideration... However, the right side barely scuffed the ground, the right end has the smoothest of the scratches....

The thing is, yes, I have thought about DIY, but, here's the deal...

1) I have some serious OCD... so basically, anything that turns out anything than perfecft while me doing it, will turn into a very bad time for me. I think it's better for me to have someone, like Yamaha, do it, and gimme some sort of guarrantee...

2) If I mess anything up (break any of the parts) while doing it, that means I will have to be responsible, pay again and wait the export time. 

We all suffer from PMS Parked Motorcycle Syndrom from time to time, OCD I have it Oh Crap Damn, usually happens when I do somethign I should not have.  If you need a set of Stock Bars I have mine they are perfect, you are welcome to them if oyu pay for shipping in the uS I is

@Leo Vannucci for reference I went down at about 40 and bent the bars quite a bit. They are weak compared to aftermarket bars, but even still should not bend from dropping at a standstill. I would have the shop look them over when they swap components, but again, they're more than likely perfectly fine. If it's not visually apparent whether they're bent or not you will never notice it when riding. Sorry to make you needlessly worry!

Well, In all honesty I haven't even checked or noticed any bendings on the bars, I mean, the handlebar end barely touched the ground and got a very light scratch. But I guess I will have to take a better look when I get home tonight.

• Premium Member

Well, In all honesty I haven't even checked or noticed any bendings on the bars, I mean, the handlebar end barely touched the ground and got a very light scratch. But I guess I will have to take a better look when I get home tonight.

I wouldn't sorry about the handlebars bending yet. I dropped my bike tons when I started and never noticed the bend. It was only after a slow lowside that it bent enough to be noticable. 

Is this your first bike?

Actually, it kind of is.

My first "chronological" bike was an '82 Honda 750 Nighthawk I bought about 10 years ago when I was living in the US, to learn how to ride. I only had it for a month and I rode it around a big parking lot, that's it.

My second bike, 10 years later, was a '10 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide (with a 96ci engine). My friend started to sell the bike to me via payments, so I had the bike for close to 4 months and used it as my daily driver. Then, he decided he didn't want to sell it, gave me the money back and I remained bike-less.

So, after selling my car and truly deciding I want to commit 100% to the bike world, so to speak, I bought this brand new MT07 from the dealer, waited for it to get here from Japan and here we are. In theory, I could say it's my "first real bike", as in, my first fully paid, self owned, brand new bike - also, a bike with all the proper modern tech that makes it also different. Much more power than the other bikes I've  had before too.

Grip it & Rip it

Look into getting some frame sliders. I’m not saying it’s going to happen again, but if it does, frame sliders are pretty cheap and keep your bike off the ground so you wouldn’t have had to replace anything. I embarrassingly super slow-mo laid my bike down on its side the other night after I cold-started it after it was sitting outside in the chilly night for a while and it stalled, and my frame slider was the only thing that touched the ground.

5 minutes ago, Grip it & Rip it said:

Look into getting some frame sliders. I’m not saying it’s going to happen again, but if it does, frame sliders are pretty cheap and keep your bike off the ground so you wouldn’t have had to replace anything. I embarrassingly super slow-mo laid my bike down on its side the other night after I cold-started it after it was sitting outside in the chilly night for a while and it stalled, and my frame slider was the only thing that touched the ground.

_Yeah, definitely on my list! I am getting the whole set from SW Mototech, I think they look the best, plus I already got the kickstand "shoe" thing from them and it's top notch.

I was wondering, what about the footpegs and brake/shift levers? on my bike, the footpeg did touch the ground and it snapped the curb feeler metal piece it had screwed under it. Will a slider help avoiding that too?

Archived