The MT-07 Forum

Pinlock vs snowshield helmet

Bigturbomax

Ok, so im kinda thinking about replacing my helmet. Would like something that fits  better. Currently using an old HJC symax 2 thats still in pretty good shape. Anyway, im making a shortlist of what i want in a new helmet. Price will of course be a factor to a point. Anyway, ive been dealing with visor fogging ever since my first bike....we all know the struggle. Ive heard good things about pinloc equipped visors, but i was doing some shopping and found many popular HJC helmet styles (dot approved of course) made for snowmobile/alaska use lol. They come with a double lens with an air pocket to prevent fogging just like a pinloc. Im wondering if these work as well because since they are designed dual lens, they have a much larger uninterupted frame of view. Thoughts???

• Premium Member

Just a random thought after reading op's Post:

I've never been snowmobiling but I can only guess that snow mobile helmets are designed to minimize air flow to keep you warmer. So I don't think a snowmobile helmet would be of much use other times of the year when you might need some air flow. But I guess if you wanted a cold weather only helmet it would work out.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'm with digitalsteve.  I use Pinlock and never have troules with fogging.  Cold temps, hot temps, high or low hunidity, rain, fog.  Nothing ever makes it fog.

Don't know about snowmobile shields.  They don't look like they'd do well at highway speed.  Might catch a lot of air and jerk your head around or try to flip up.

• Global Moderator

If the snow shield is compatible do it...

I got one for my cl-17 and it worked great in cold but blocked the chin and brow vents when closedreally sucked on 45-50° swing days

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

The only time I've had fog issues with my HJC RPHA 11 (with the double layer lens) was when I had the chin wind blocker. This trapped all of my breath in the helmet and it fogged up horribly until I got on the interstate. Since then, I got a jacket with a built in neck warmer, so I don't use the chin wind blocker and it works perfectly.

Have y'all with the Pinlock kit combined that with a chin wind blocker?   

Grip it & Rip it
On 11/29/2017 at 5:34 AM, cyow5 said:

The only time I've had fog issues with my HJC RPHA 11 (with the double layer lens) was when I had the chin wind blocker. This trapped all of my breath in the helmet and it fogged up horribly until I got on the interstate. Since then, I got a jacket with a built in neck warmer, so I don't use the chin wind blocker and it works perfectly.

Have y'all with the Pinlock kit combined that with a chin wind blocker?   

My Arai has a small, pull-down chin spoiler- is that what you’re referring to? It doesn’t make the visor fog up. 

On 12/2/2017 at 8:16 PM, Grip it & Rip it said:

My Arai has a small, pull-down chin spoiler- is that what you’re referring to? It doesn’t make the visor fog up. 

I don't think so. The HJC one effectively eliminates the gap between your chin and the bottom of the helmet, so it seals it off (too) well. It's nice not to have the cold draft, but a gaiter  does the same thing but without the fog. 

I've got a helmet I need to sell. Kabuto Kamui with a Pinlock shield. Internal sunvisor, cheek pads for L or XL sizing and it comes with two Pinlock inserts. I like the helmet, it just doesn't fit my head shape. I'm selling this helmet cheap at $80 shipped ( just never got around to posting it up), if it sounds like something that'd work for you. 

Sorry if this is intrusive. Not trying to sell my junk in your thread, just figured it might save you a few dollars before you log on to RevZilla :)

• 2 months later...
Bigturbomax

Zombie post. Thanks for all the input guys. I got a new helmet this week amd went with the HJC FG17. Pinlock ready and with very impressive airflow. Got a really good close out price. Obviously they still make and sell the fg17, i hunted around online and found one with an older graphic that was marked down quite a bit. It was a dealer wholesale. So brand new of course.

20180223_065122-567x1008.jpg

Archived