The MT-07 Forum

Best oil and weight for shifting.

peteinpa

First let me say this is the worst shifting bike I've owned.

I'm biased towards the various car diesel oils due to price and availability so of them which type and weight?

Which stays good shifting as the miles go on?

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Well it depends on the color of the poweband you have installed

using a blue and silver GXR powerband you need like 140wt Tranaxle oil
using a green and red powerband just wesson oil will do

😉  Just kidding

There is a lot to recommend here, just do not get an oil with Friction Modifers

I will not kick a dead hourse here as this question been asked 50,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 plus 1 more now

Ya cannot go wrong with what is recommended in your service manaul the rest is up to how you train your foot with your hand and ear.  Its no magic, just keep your oil fresh.  I prefer Amsoil 10-40 metric.  But wars have been lost and love has been gained by the what oil question.  So just beware dont listen to anyone with shell rotella and never listen to a HD owner they shove a turd in the gear box if it had HD stamped on it

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

lots of people (including me) have ran the Rotella T6 (5W-40) with good results. ^ignore r1limited :P

I've found that if I time my shifts just right (not waiting too long after rolling off the throttle for the shift), my FZ-07 shifts well.

Wait a bit too long, and it takes more effort and feels klunky.

I've also found that Amsoil 10W40 improves gear shifting on my FZ-07, too, and I'm not the kind of guy who typically jumps on any oil bandwagon.

2 hours ago, i28 said:

lots of people (including me) have ran the Rotella T6 (5W-40) with good results. ^ignore r1limited :P

Blasphemy :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I found that lubing the shift lever pivots improved shifting dramatically - even with 10w40 Amsoil in the case. The grease I used wasn't Amsoil. Maybe it would have even been better yet if I had😉

I agree with doing that job, too.

I lubed my shift pedal pivot with fresh grease three times this past riding season:

Once during off-season maintenance and two more times mid-season.

Roughly once every three months of use.

Like the rear brake pedal pivot, it's not sealed with rubber oil seals, so it will eventually dry-out if not lubricated.

I first went with a semi-synthetic Castrol ActEvo in 10-40, which was followed by a full synthetic Motul 7100 also in 10-40. Ultimately I went back to the Castrol ActEvo as the bike ran better, shifted better, and the oil was half the cost.

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of personal experience, i'm still on that first 600 miles stage so i've hadn't had the chance to play with oil brands on my bike. But if you look arround, there was a post that explained the difference, not only on the softness of the gearbox, but also on the average working temperature of the bike. There, he claimed that the best results for him came using Motul 300V 10w-40. Motul 7100 also made a huge difference in my previous bikes. Also, big fan of all of the Liqui Moly products, great stuff! 

I ran my 1st oil change with Shell Semi AX7. After using it for 2 oil change with trouble shifting gear and felt a bit laggy, i went with Liqui Moly 15w50 as recommended by someone. I havent tried Fully but its my best yet. I live in malaysia where its hot and humid commute to work 80km return trip. The 15w50 serve me well. 

Archived