The MT-07 Forum

Tyre sizes

faffi

Couldn't find which one. It just says metzler sport tyre.

Metzler site (US) couldn't find rim allocation/tyre width. Considering a recent test with the metzler coming out on top, sounds interesting , if it doesn't make the tyre end up as a 168/55( for example)equivalent when mounted.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Maybe I'm out of my mind but I personally think the 180/17 on the ass end of things is too big for the bike, Id like to think that a 170 would be better.

The 180 doesn't hold the bike back in any way, but it is wider than needed for the power level. 

180 is a very common width, which relates to a lower relative cost. This is a budget priced bike, so it makes sense. 

Also, it's the same rim as used on the back of the 09. The 09 does pretty much need a 180, so why not just use what Yamaha already had on hand?

• Premium Member

I like the fact that the 180 out back is a common size.  And it looks bad ass!  lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

What benefit does a smaller tire give?

Less lean angle required for a given speed and less rotational mass for better acceleration.

1225172012-1.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 12/24/2017 at 10:17 PM, shinyribs said:

The 180 doesn't hold the bike back in any way, but it is wider than needed for the power level. 

180 is a very common width, which relates to a lower relative cost. This is a budget priced bike, so it makes sense. 

Also, it's the same rim as used on the back of the 09. The 09 does pretty much need a 180, so why not just use what Yamaha already had on hand?

Fair enough, I was throwing it out there for other thoughts and comments. What your saying makes sense.

• 3 months later...

I wasn't a big fan of the 160 that comes on the SV650 while I had it years ago, I didn't feel as planted compared to having a 180 out back. Believe it or not, the 180 tire was a small factor in picking the FZ-07 over the SV650 

Archived