The MT-07 Forum

Passed!

dfhzcnc

If you don't know what I am talking about, here is my first thread:
http://fz07.org/post/11408/thread
I am here to report my result and thoughts about the motorcycle safety course!

so....Just finished  my two-day MSS BRC today! I passed the evaluation and got a wavier.
I must say I learned so much from this course, before I took this course I have never ride a motorcycle but now I am a qualified rider(not yet, gotta go to dmv to exchange my wavier into a license)! They teach you all the basic control skills you need on the road, very practical, and you also learned useful techniques, safety concerns, all kinds of stuff related to riding and motorcycle from the handbook they gave you. 

And I am getting my 07 this Friday, so excited about that!!!!!!

All experienced riders, what's your suggestions when I am getting the 07? Do I need an inspection be done by dealer before taking it home? What kind of insurance should I get? (liability, liability with theft, full coverage?)

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Congratulations on passing! Keep in mind there is no substitute for experience and a good rider never stops learning and polishing their skills. I think it's best to ride alone for a few months while you get some experience. And take it easy, this is a powerful bike! Regarding insurance, call your agent while you are getting the paperwork done, that way you can be covered as you ride it off the lot. Most important, relax and enjoy!  :)

Illegitimi non carborundum

If you don't know what I am talking about, here is my first thread: http://fz07.org/post/11408/thread
I am here to report my result and thoughts about the motorcycle safety course!

so....Just finished  my two-day MSS BRC today! I passed the evaluation and got a wavier.
I must say I learned so much from this course, before I took this course I have never ride a motorcycle but now I am a qualified rider(not yet, gotta go to dmv to exchange my wavier into a license)! They teach you all the basic control skills you need on the road, very practical, and you also learned useful techniques, safety concerns, all kinds of stuff related to riding and motorcycle from the handbook they gave you. 

And I am getting my 07 this Friday, so excited about that!!!!!!

All experienced riders, what's your suggestions when I am getting the 07? Do I need an inspection be done by dealer before taking it home? What kind of insurance should I get? (liability, liability with theft, full coverage?)
Congrats! 
The dealer will take care of the bike inspection when they sell it to you as well as registration and plates. You just have to show up with proof of insurance for them to let you leave with the bike.

I personally have full insurance on my bike because you just never know what will happen. Shop around with the different companies, but a warning insurance in NYC isn't cheap :(

Also, you can always switch insurance companies at any time with a full refund of any unused portion, so if you can't get a great deal now just keep shopping and change when you do.

Do yourself and your agent a favor and call them soon so they can give you a quote and possibly shop for your best rate. Compare that to a few other companies and get it in force with one final short call to your agent or company of choice if not already done when you get to the dealership. If you have a loan, you will be required to carry full coverage. If not, it's your roll of the dice. Congrats on the new bike and passing the safety course!

• Global Moderator

Congratulations. Be careful and have fun on your new bike. I found that full coverage was not much more expensive than just liability. We want photos when you get your bike :).

Get frame sliders to protect against the somewhat inevitable drop. I'll bet there is no one here who has not at least one time accidentally tipped their ride? Like Hippie says, there is not substitute for experience. I have about 23 k miles riding and still consider myself "intermediate", not expert. Don't be over confident and with the FZ, the throttle is very responsive. For example, during a tight 90 degree turn in 2nd gear, a mistake with the throttle can make the bike lurch, so be careful and learn. Practice braking I've locked my rear wheel once on the FZ; can be scary if you panic.

Ride safe and enjoy, there is nothing like it.

• Global Moderator

Very cool, congratulations. Let the fun begin!
If your picking your 07 up form a dealer, they should have a check list they run through explaining everything. Just enjoy the experience.

Like others say, I would probably invest in a couple of sliders and good gear. A jacket with armour, good gloves, protective footwear and good helmet etc..
As for insurance, it really depends on what you can afford. I have basic liability because insurance is ridiculously expensive here. And if something happens, the least of my worries is the bike. And theft is pretty much non existent here. But your situation is different I am sure.

Congratulations! I recently did my MSF course as well! As a new rider, I'm carrying full coverage insurance and also have total loss protection just in case. Enjoy and be safe!

Same here, passed my MSF course over the weekend, next day got my M endorsement, next day my new FZ-07 liquid graphite. Happy camper here. Congrats to you !

Thank you all for providing great suggestions on insurance!
The full coverage is extremely expensive here in nyc,and I am 24 which makes it even worse.so I guess I will go with liability first..

Get frame sliders to protect against the somewhat inevitable drop. I'll bet there is no one here who has not at least one time accidentally tipped their ride? Like Hippie says, there is not substitute for experience. I have about 23 k miles riding and still consider myself "intermediate", not expert. Don't be over confident and with the FZ, the throttle is very responsive. For example, during a tight 90 degree turn in 2nd gear, a mistake with the throttle can make the bike lurch, so be careful and learn. Practice braking I've locked my rear wheel once on the FZ; can be scary if you panic. 
Ride safe and enjoy, there is nothing like it.
It seems that I need to be extra cautious with 07, thank you jerryv for giving me those useful advice before I jump on my bike.

It seems that I need to be extra cautious with 07, thank you jerryv for giving me those useful advice before I jump on my bike.
That not just the 07, but it's you new baby and you don't want to scratch her up if you can help it.  I remember dropping my first bike and how bad I felt  :-[

Archived