The MT-07 Forum

2018 MT-07 pictures from International Motorcycle Shows

i28

It is all grown up. I like the visible changes a lot and they are significant. Suspension changes too. And  some unseen bits needed no change anyway. If mine was not so satisfying I'd be looking for a new one (money aside!). 

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, Grip it & Rip it said:

New headlight and radiator mounted turn signals look terrible to me.

I like the new head light. The front turn signal placement is hideous though.

Sorry, don't like it. --Somehow reminds me of a kawasaki ER5 twister now. The fake air intake's are just too sleek now, same goes for the plastic crap at the tail end.

Looks like they are styling department spend a few weeks in the scooter department.....

• Premium Member

I'm not crazy about the new look. I could appreciate it but I prefer my '15 FZ-07.

I sat on the bike but I couldn't really tell how much better the seat would be compared to ours.

I also didn't like the new tank when I put my knees against it. Didn't feel as nice as ours to me.

I did overhear the Yamaha guy say that the fork springs are stronger by 7%. That's a plus!

I'm with the group that's not crazy about the new version. At the core, it's still an 07, so I would love to own it compared to anything else available right now ( that's why I bought one)...But I'm very happy I own an "original". :) 

I'm not particularly fond the the black plastic strip running down the center of the tank on my FZ, but I don't think I could stand the trim piece on this MT. $0.02

I like it, it's themed a lot like a smaller 2017 MT09, with the rear aero feature of the 2017 R6. Kept in the family.

There's not a single new feature that makes me regret my '15 model. The most significant upgrade in my opinion is the one piece front guard, the original three piece guard is a pain if you take it off often. I imagine it will still have the same weaknesses as the original model (suspension mostly), but we'll wait and see.

This update is pretty conventional as far as mid life updates go - most manufacturers are very predictable and leave minor improvements to be made on follow up models (yam with black radiators, honda with black frame etc very common).

I was interested to hear in a YouTube clip that Yamaha has sold over 18,000 07's since introduction, that's a pretty successful model.

To me, it looks basically unaltered. There is something about the current lines that prevent me from separating them. I need to look long and hard just to separate an MT03 from and MT07, let alone the old and new versions of the MT07. Hell, I've even mistaken the CB650 for an MT.

It's the same thing with cars; I used to be able to see the small details from one year to the next, but now just about everything made during the past decade looks the same to me. The only thing that allows me to pick out my 2018 car is that they totally altered the front, otherwise it would also just be one of the masses.

Most likely, this is a result of lacking interest. Cars are for me just transportation, and moderns styled bikes simply do not look good to me. Perhaps not bad, but definitely nothing to excite me. If we look at the CB1100 from Honda, OTOH, it is easy for me to spot the differences between years and versions. Same with other retro styled bikes. A result of keen interest, I presume, that allows me to see, observe, remember and compare.

3 hours ago, stickshift said:

I was interested to hear in a YouTube clip that Yamaha has sold over 18,000 07's since introduction, that's a pretty successful model.

I believe they sell 3-4000 per year in Germany alone, so the I expect the global production numbers to be significantly higher - or?

To people that have never owned an FZ/MT-07 I would imagine they are thrilled with it as we were 'before' we bought our FZ's. If I'm not mistaken, the mirrors appear to be set wider for better vision so that's an improvement. The beveling of the edges of the seat should = less pressure on the back of the legs so that's another improvement. Anti-lock brakes are an improvement. To some the aesthetics of the headlight/bulbs are not agreeable but since a lot of people complained about the originals they tried to please us and gave us something new but bear in mind they can't please everyone and they had to go with something or else people would be saying they don't listen to their customers. A rock & a hard place comes to mind. I like the headlight a little better myself but I still like the clear lenses with amber bulbs better when it comes to big turn signals. (Again they can't please everyone, more a suggestion for them.) They don't stand out quite as much since the lenses are clear. Still, if I were a first time buyer of the FZ/MT-07 I would be ecstatic over the new bike simply because DAT ENGINE! As is, I'm not one and would rather have the opportunity to trade in on a new Tracer instead. That's a big suggestion, Yamaha. Couldn't you have them towed over here with big FX series WaveRunners, ha!

Beemer

3 hours ago, faffi said:

I believe they sell 3-4000 per year in Germany alone, so the I expect the global production numbers to be significantly higher - or?

Cant find the total numbers for some reason right now, but from jan till june they sold 2021 mt 07's in germany .

9 minutes ago, patrolus said:

Cant find the total numbers for some reason right now, but from jan till june they sold 2021 mt 07's in germany .

Platz 2 der Motorrad-Neuzulassungen 2016 gesamt: Yamaha MT-07 mit 3.397 Exemplaren

Or in plain english, 3397 mt 07's got registered in 2016. ;)  So i guess the 2021 till june this year will end up around the same total for 2017.....

On 11/19/2017 at 11:05 PM, i28 said:

I did overhear the Yamaha guy say that the fork springs are stronger by 7%. That's a plus!

So now 0.85->0.9kg/mm? I don't know if that was a smart move... If Yam/JP can put the right springs on the MT07, wtf! is wrong with the FZ09 and FJ09 team that they've been putting ~0.7's on the bigger/heavier brother? I guess this also means they chopped that spacer down a bit.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 11/20/2017 at 1:38 AM, shinyribs said:

I'm not particularly fond the the black plastic strip running down the center of the tank on my FZ, but I don't think I could stand the trim piece on this MT. $0.02

Yeah I really don't get this styling exercise in either version. A color-matched strip that was basically flush with it's neighboring panels would have make a hell of a lot more sense. Now a gratuitous fluid funnel? Thanks, Yam, now I have a concentrated pool that'll run down and soak my nether bits. I swear designer types just need to have the stupid beat out of them. What possible focus group gave that a thumbs up?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Why make it a multi-piece in the first place instead of a one-piece cover? Or, gasp, why not make it as a proper fuel tank? Would increase volume as well as enhance quality no end.

1 hour ago, pattonme said:

So now 0.85->0.9kg/mm? I don't know if that was a smart move... If Yam/JP can put the right springs on the MT07, wtf! is wrong with the FZ09 and FJ09 team that they've been putting ~0.7's on the bigger/heavier brother? I guess this also means they chopped that spacer down a bit.

The spring rate on the 07 needs to be over the top as there's virtually nil damping going on. I bet virtually no 'average weight' rider can achieve a decent rider sag measurement with the standard springs. Hopefully Yamaha has put some better damping control in and moved to a lighter spring.

The 09 is a cartridge fork with decent damping control; the 2017 model front feels great.

12 hours ago, stickshift said:

The 09 is a cartridge fork with decent damping control; the 2017 model front feels great.

I think you need to try that bike again once I've been thru the forks. *grin*

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived