The MT-07 Forum

Spies Comback or Swan Song

r1limited

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/ben-spies-considers-comeback-to-racing-976749/

What Say Yee?

I would like to see Ben make a come back, I thnk he would be best to run Moto America turth be told.  Ben is good for the Sport, American Fans will come to see him, Moto America needs a Ben Spies

One-time MotoGP race winner Ben Spies says he is considering a comeback to racing – but admits having had four years on the sidelines means any return to competition will be “tough”.

Texan-born Spies, 33, raced in MotoGP full-time from 2010-12, joining the factory Yamaha squad alongside Jorge Lorenzo after an impressive rookie season at Tech 3.

He moved over to the Pramac Ducati squad in 2013, but was recovering from a major shoulder injury sustained the previous year when another crash at Indianapolis effectively forced him to call time on his professional career.

Since then, the former AMA and World Superbike champion has not raced, although recent reports have suggested Spies could be planning a racing comeback, possibly in the MotoAmerica series.

Speaking to Motorsport.com at the EICMA motorcycle show, Spies confirmed his shoulder had become strong enough for him to begin considering a return to racing.

But he admits that putting together a deal to race after such a lengthy absence will be a tall order.

“I’ve been riding a lot of dirt bikes this year,” former Dutch TT winner Spies said. “Now I am able to ride my dirt bike as hard as I can again, it’s only been like that through the last year.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Elias might give him someone to tangle with. At 33 he's getting up there too. I read somewhere he would have to self-finance at the cost of about 2 million.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Yup, the article he stated if he is not on a road coarse he will be going dirt, wonder if that will be American Flat Track or Cross Country, Desert?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I had such high hopes for him when he went MotoGP. I think he suffered one of THOSE motoGP crashes. The kind that makes you question your existance. I have seen it a few times and most riders just don't come back from it fully. He comes across as a really nice guy.

Keep in mind I am an Aussie and wasn't supporting him out of a nationalist perspective. He WAS a top rider and it went away. Can he get it back? Hope so.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

10 hours ago, gregjet said:

I had such high hopes for him when he went MotoGP. I think he suffered one of THOSE motoGP crashes. The kind that makes you question your existance. I have seen it a few times and most riders just don't come back from it fully. He comes across as a really nice guy.

Keep in mind I am an Aussie and wasn't supporting him out of a nationalist perspective. He WAS a top rider and it went away. Can he get it back? Hope so.

Ben busted up a shoulder pretty badly. This was not known how bad until after his retirement.  In that arena teams will drop you like a hot potato potatoe potatow spud :)
At first when he retired I thougth WTF he had so much I figured his new wife had something to do with it so hated her :) but then it was leaked out that his injury was so sever he had zero strength to control these bikes so boom he is out.  I hope he can come back, the guy was so fluid and smooth on the track.  Meet him at Laguna during a track tyre test the year before he went to GP.  Just one regular guy that just happened to race bikes for a living.  Good to see he is trying

I hope he returns. His season is WSBK was epic. Dude can ride. I also remember an intervju with him after he joined MotoGP, where he said that a difference of just one mm of preload could make a substantial difference, a difference that would require 10 mm change on a WSBK to be felt in the same way. In other words, setting up a MotoGP bikes is really difficult.

I don't follow racing much, don't get the channels but GL to him. Imagine if he came back and rose to the #1 spot again. 

Beemer

It's a long time out.  But the 3%er's are the 3%er's . They will always be faster than the rest of us. It's the same in every sport. Spies is one of those. Her is also a VERY clean ,non stupidly agressive rider which I admire ( unlike Zarco for instance). Whichever racing he goes to I hope he does well and has FUN.

In MotoGP next years crop look like NOTHING I have ever seen before! There is usually a bit of talent at the top and the rest just merely very very very good. The upcoming year is like no year before. What's more the non factory bikes are much closer than before ( dare I say some are better, at least at the moment). Not a place for egos. Zarco is an impressive rider but in this company he will look like a thug that's trying too hard. The rest will make look like a try-hard.

I agree with everything except Zarco. He beat Rossi and Vinales several times this year. The last race in Valencia, Rossi was also on a 2016 machine, just like Zarco. The dude can ride. And although aggressive, he is not nearly as hard as Marquez. Nor is he quite as talented, but he is up there with the best of the rest. Only Marquez and Stoner are/would be consistently faster IMO. I could be wrong, of course, being neither fast nor skilled nor talented, but I have become a Zarco fan over the season. Also become a fan of Morbidelli this year. By fan I mean respect for the way they are and perform, not putting them in pedestals.

Zarco has a history in moto2 and 3 of running riders off the track purposely. He goes for gaps where there clearly aren't sufficient space. He is better than he was but he is still too agressive for everybodies own good. I completely disagree that Marquez is more agressive. MM goes for legitimate gaps, sometimes that goes wrong but he doesn't barge as such.  He IS assertive, but not agressive.

Morbedelli on the other hand and, if/when he gets there, Mir are up there with Rossi, Marquez, Vinales, Now Dovi ( he took his time. I have been waiting), the Esparagos perhaps, and Jack Millar when he isn't being a dick , as riders that use the gaps but don't barge ( on purpose).

MM went hard enough past Bautista to cut his brake line. Just one example. Ask Espargaro how he think MM made his moves in Moto2. MM has become more reserved with age and experience, as has Zarco. IMO at least ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Zarco would want to become more considered . He still rides with too much balls and not enough head. MM has definitely become a cleaner rider in MGP.

If I remember the MM/Bautisa incident well, Bautista stood the bike up a bit which resulted in the brake line hit. Neither to blame. Just you standard fairing banging at 300kph...

Archived