The MT-07 Forum

First thoughts

Ryan

After putting some miles on the new bike, I have noticed a few things.  First off this is my opinion only but tt might be the fact that I'm rusty at riding or just the bike for me.  As a commuter this bike is amazing, around own in the suburbs its great for me.  I can run errands, and just have a blast but once I get to highway speed 55 and above the bike changes.  I am used to high power, high revving street bikes that you are tucked behind going down the road, this bike feels so much more exposed.  I'm sure its due to my lack of experience on a naked bike, and maybe even my size, Im a big guy 6'2" 260.  I feel like my lack of control at highway speeds is an issue that I never felt on either of my zx6r.  I will put some more miles on and report back. Also any feedback from those who have ridden naked bikes before is always appreciated. 

-Ryan

I think you are right. It is definitely feels exposed, but I think that is largely due to the 'nakedness' as you mentioned. That's how they want the bike to feel. Lightweight, agile, exposed, free. There's nothing really stopping or cutting the wind on this bike.

Coming from dirtbikes, I feel right at home with the wind blasting me on this bike. I know for a fact that it keeps me riding at safer speeds too. I haven't pushed it hard enough yet to feel out of control, but the wind definitely comes into play at highway speeds.

I just don't think the bike is meant for highway cruising/high speeds in it's stock form. Sure, you can do it, but I think there are other options if you are going to be running highway speeds for long trips.

Two things.

1.Naked bike. When you can, get a small screen. They help alot.

Also, you'll get used to it. Yesterday I took the FZ-09 to LaGrande, Oregon to see a customer and on the way back, jeez. Lets just say I turned a three hour ride into a two hour ride.

TwistedTorque

I haven't ridden a naked bike, but I do come from a cbr250. I will say that on that bike at 80mph on the highway, you might as well be a naked bike. I got tossed around like a ragdoll. I did get used to it after a while. It's actaully kind of fun and part of the reason I want the 07.

That being said, I do plan on adding a small fly screen for at least a bit of help.

http://www.puigusa.com/tuning-bikes/yamaha-fz-07-2014/windscreen-naked-new-generation/c171en/f491-r121-m4568/

• Global Moderator

I always had a naked bike so I am used to the wind and openness and I love it.
And now that I have experienced the FZ-07 I have to say that compared to my previous bike it performs better. I see no need for a fly screen or extra protection. It seems to me that the angle of the front directs the wind differently. It is no means quite in my lid but I notice that I can even hear my headphones better.
Because the front is relatively low and the dash and headlight unit is mounted out of direct line sight it sometimes feel like the bike is not there. It almost gives the illusion that I am flying. Envision the romantic scene of the Titanic, but different.

Archived