The MT-07 Forum

Cool older sidecar rig complete with baby seat.

hippiebikerchick

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Illegitimi non carborundum

I see an older BMW with a sidecar fairly often in my area. The guy usually rides around with his dog who is wearing goggles. It's pretty awesome.

Ural took the engine from a 1970 BMW and the chassis from 1969 BMW and has been building these dinosaurs ever since. (they're Russian) I apologize, they have recently applied swing arms. The engine is actually still based on the Slash Two BMW with roller bearings!

Though the outward appearance of the engine is the same as before retaining the advantage of continuity with the inherently balanced design of a horizontally opposed flat twin engine with roller bearings in a solid frame.

In 1940, the Soviet Union acquired the design and production techniques for BMW R 71 motorcycles and sidecars.
According to official accounts, after lengthy discussion, the BMW R71 motorcycle was found to most closely match the Red Army's requirements. Five units were covertly purchased through some Swedish intermediaries. Soviet engineers in Moscow dismantled the five BMWs, reverse engineered the BMW design in every detail and making molds and dies to produce their own engines and gearboxes in Moscow.
Early in 1941, the first prototypes of the M-72 motorcycle were shown to Stalin who made the decision to enter mass production. As production escalated, a factory was set up in Moscow producing hundreds of Russian M-72 sidecar motorcycles.
The Nazi Blitzkrieg was so fast and effective that Soviet strategists worried that the Moscow factory was within easy range of German bombers. The decision was made to move the motorcycle plant further east, out of bombing range and into the middle of the resource rich Ural mountain region. The site chosen was the town of Irbit, located on the fringe of vast Siberia in the Ural mountains.

Archived