The MT-07 Forum

Single Most Cost Effective Suspension Mod?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

If you could make only one suspension mod to your FZ-07, and had to spend as little money as possible, what mod would you choose?  I ask this question because I am a bit thin of wallet and would like to know what fellow members think is the single most cost effective suspension mod.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

http://www.motocd.com/product/ddc-drop-in-damper-cartridge/.  There ya go . And for a bit extra you can get springs for your weight which would compound the effect of driveability  quite drastically.  I think that website can sell the whole kit. Then eventually if you wanna do your rear shock send it in to Racetech and they can revalve it to match the front for around 250-300 dollars or something 

Loose weight to match the 140 - 160lb spring rate

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

I was 163 lbs once upon a time, 190 lbs now, but maybe if I cut out the potato chips and beer..............well potato chips at least.  ;D

22 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

I was 163 lbs once upon a time, 190 lbs now, but maybe if I cut out the potato chips and beer..............well potato chips at least.  ;D

In reality there is a lot of merit in loosing weight and riding a motorcyle

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 minutes ago, r1limited said:

In reality there is a lot of merit in loosing weight and riding a motorcyle

All kidding aside, weight loss is a serious goal for me.  I have already lost 25 lbs and am determined to lose 20 or 25 lbs more.

2 minutes ago, bornagainbiker said:

All kidding aside, weight loss is a serious goal for me.  I have already lost 25 lbs and am determined to lose 20 or 25 lbs more.

I lost 30 lbs a few years back changing my diet to paleo.  A bout of colitus cured me of eating crap food.  Good for you man, keep it going

• Premium Member

OEM should set suspension based on each markets avg weight...seems like in Japan it's 120#, in the US it seems to be 200#, etc.... yea the numbers are fudged but just wanted to point out a simple solution...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

Being 150lb, I can attest that the springs are way too soft. It isn't that noticeable though except under braking where the front end dives like crazy, but it could also be I don't know what I am looking for in turns to notice

3 hours ago, cyow5 said:

Being 150lb, I can attest that the springs are way too soft. It isn't that noticeable though except under braking where the front end dives like crazy, but it could also be I don't know what I am looking for in turns to notice

I weigh 150 and the front springs are too hard. I can't get anywhere near a reasonable rider sag figure because of the 0.87 kg/mm stock spring rate (stiff for standard!). They feel soft with lots of brake dive because of lack of damping.

I've fitted cogent's DDC valves (work awesome) and the best thing now is that I can fit a reduced spring rate for my low weight with extra damping. Average weight riders will be fine with the standard springs after fitting the DDCs.

Best suspension bang for buck for sure.

you said "least" so I'll ante in with fork springs ($80) and a 45-55cSt@40 oil. Should net to $100 or less. Just trim the preload spacer (PVC is cheap as chips) and the 0.85's would probably have worked.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
On 11/15/2017 at 10:40 PM, stickshift said:

I weigh 150 and the front springs are too hard. I can't get anywhere near a reasonable rider sag figure because of the 0.87 kg/mm stock spring rate (stiff for standard!). They feel soft with lots of brake dive because of lack of damping.

I've fitted cogent's DDC valves (work awesome) and the best thing now is that I can fit a reduced spring rate for my low weight with extra damping. Average weight riders will be fine with the standard springs after fitting the DDCs.

Best suspension bang for buck for sure.

Yup, setting rider sag is a good way to determine if your springs are in the ballpark.   Around 1.5" for street is a good number.  Less for track.

Damping controls the springs, so poor damping can make it feel like your springs are too soft or too hard.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived