Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
phanomenal07

4000 mike service

Recommended Posts

phanomenal07

So I’m taking my bike to a local mechanic for its 4000 mile service. Being that the fz is a relatively new bike I’m a lil worried he doesn’t have much experience with this bike. So my question is are there anything unique about the fz that a mechanic could miss or is it like any other bike and I shouldn’t worry even if he never service an fz before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlbatrossCafe

haha uh...
 

  1. The FZ is not that new of a bike. The MT first model year is 2013 which means it's been out since 2012. That's 5 years.
  2. The FZ is a great bike but is simple. There is nothing necessarily complex about the engine or drive-train.
  3. What is a 4000 mile service? You don't need spark plugs till 8k. There is nothing to do at 4000 except oil.

     

    You should have no problems with whatever you are doing. If you or your mechanic don't know how to change oil on a bike with no fairings, well....

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
phanomenal07
18 minutes ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

haha uh...
 

  1. The FZ is not that new of a bike. The MT first model year is 2013 which means it's been out since 2012. That's 5 years.
  2. The FZ is a great bike but is simple. There is nothing necessarily complex about the engine or drive-train.
  3. What is a 4000 mile service? You don't need spark plugs till 8k. There is nothing to do at 4000 except oil.

     

    You should have no problems with whatever you are doing. If you or your mechanic don't know how to change oil on a bike with no fairings, well....

The manual has a bunch of checks in it at 4k. And I said “relatively new”

Edited by phanomenal07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AlbatrossCafe

Most of that stuff is "Check hoses, check cables, check front brake lever operation" on top of other stuff like "lubricate clutch handle pivot" and the like. A lot of people forgo these kinds of checks/lubrication at such a low mileage and continue to run their bike for many years and miles without problems.

 

I'm not trying to tell you how to service/care for your bike, but the point is, if your guy calls himself a "mechanic" then he should have zero issues doing anything that is specified at the 4k mile service, even if it is a bike he has never seen before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

Most of the stuff that is done is checking and lubricating things.  There is nothing that a mechanic or mechanically inclined owner cannot easily do.  I have done every service except the 600 mile one myself.  Everything you need to know is in the tech tips section of the forum or in YouTube videos.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
r1limited

If you are in the Puetrid Pueget sound of WA area, we can do this 4k and you can learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beemer
18 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

"or is it like any other bike and I shouldn’t worry even if he never service an fz before"

To answer your question straight up, it is like any other bike in that respect and your mechanic will be familiar with everything. 

 

Now for the big questions ... who is Mike and how often do you service him?

Ha, sorry, couldn't resist! I know, it was a typo. Be safe, stay frosty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sen07
1 hour ago, r1limited said:

If you are in the Puetrid Pueget sound of WA area, we can do this 4k and you can learn.

When will u move to Msia? 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.