The MT-07 Forum

Crankcase Oil Leakage

Grantassstic

I recently replaced my water pump cover on my 2015 Fz-07 (this included a new gasket). Oil has been leaking out of the upper right portion of the water pump cover, where it bolts onto the crankcase. The bolt was torqued to the owner's manual specifications. Any thoughts or suggestions before I try to take it to a mechanic? Thanks, guys!

Did you replace the O ring or odd shaped o ring with it?

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

10 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Did you replace the O ring or odd shaped o ring with it?

I replaced the two O-rings the hoses go into and the odd shaped O ring that goes between the pump housing and the crankcase cover. 

Where is it leaking from either you pinched the o ring(s) or the plate is on unevenly or the plate is cracked or I always use a thin line of grease either wiping the o ring with it or adding some to the groove.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

4 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Where is it leaking from either you pinched the o ring(s) or the plate is on unevenly or the plate is cracked or I always use a thin line of grease either wiping the o ring with it or adding some to the groove.

Here's the region its leaking from. I drained the coolant and removed the cover again to check and the O rings were in the grooves just fine. 

IMG_7197.JPG

• Premium Member

is it possible the wrong bolt length was used? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I would pull the seal out, use a very fine line of silicon inside the grove, if not silicon I use a white llithium grease to seal.  Ensure you snug screws down evenly first then tighten up in a clock wise.  I never torque at once, I hand tighten to feel.  Torque unless you have a very small 1/4 torque can over torque them 6mm  It really doesnt take much

12 hours ago, r1limited said:

I would pull the seal out, use a very fine line of silicon inside the grove, if not silicon I use a white llithium grease to seal.  Ensure you snug screws down evenly first then tighten up in a clock wise.  I never torque at once, I hand tighten to feel.  Torque unless you have a very small 1/4 torque can over torque them 6mm  It really doesnt take much

Ok, thanks.

You did say 'oil leak', none of those 'O' rings seal oil  but rather coolant. Please clarify if you mean oil or coolant.

I used a light smear of Loctite 518 sealant on the odd shaped housing 'O' ring, safer and better than silicone sealant. I also had to face off the pump housing flange to guarantee surface contact with primary cover.

On 11/14/2017 at 5:02 PM, markstertt said:

You did say 'oil leak', none of those 'O' rings seal oil  but rather coolant. Please clarify if you mean oil or coolant.

I used a light smear of Loctite 518 sealant on the odd shaped housing 'O' ring, safer and better than silicone sealant. I also had to face off the pump housing flange to guarantee surface contact with primary cover.

It's definitely oil :/ 

Two probablitites

1. The oil is coming from a different location and seeping down to this exit point
  2. As mentioned maybe the wrong length allan head bolt was used in that one point and you cracked the case or ?

Item two however all three bolts are the same.  Maybe if 1 is the answer, then using a bit of UV Tracer dye would maybe locate the origin of the leak.  The UV light can be picked up most anywear Staples, Wallmart, Office Depot Amazon for 410 or less.

Put some dye in, clean out the suspect area really good, drive the bike around  until you see oil.  then use the pen to trace back.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2017 at 11:27 PM, r1limited said:

Two probablitites

1. The oil is coming from a different location and seeping down to this exit point
  2. As mentioned maybe the wrong length allan head bolt was used in that one point and you cracked the case or ?

Item two however all three bolts are the same.  Maybe if 1 is the answer, then using a bit of UV Tracer dye would maybe locate the origin of the leak.  The UV light can be picked up most anywear Staples, Wallmart, Office Depot Amazon for 410 or less.

Put some dye in, clean out the suspect area really good, drive the bike around  until you see oil.  then use the pen to trace back.

I seriously need to read more 😅

Archived