The MT-07 Forum

The year of Spencer

faffi

When I used to watch this kind of racing more often back in the day I remember Roberts and Spencer going at it. I also remember a Finnish racer named Heikki Mikkola coming onto the scene and disrupting the order. All good racers and people to look up to. 

Beemer

I taught spenser everything he knows after Roberts asked me to ;)  Fast Freddie was called fast freddie not because he could jump rope

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

6 hours ago, Beemer said:

When I used to watch this kind of racing more often back in the day I remember Roberts and Spencer going at it. I also remember a Finnish racer named Heikki Mikkola coming onto the scene and disrupting the order. All good racers and people to look up to. 

Did Mikkola ever race on tarmac ❓

Heikki Mikkola NO

Nothing but Husky and yamaha in his final years MX

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

16 hours ago, faffi said:

Did Mikkola ever race on tarmac ❓

No he didn't and thanks for knocking the cob webs loose, (😜) it's been so long ago I remembered the name but confused him with the other old greats and tarmac racing, he only raced motocross. It was Roger DeCoster he dethroned. (if I'm recalling correctly, ha!) I'll shut up while I'm ahead.

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

No he didn't and thanks for knocking the cob webs loose, (😜) it's been so long ago I remembered the name but confused him with the other old greats and tarmac racing, he only raced motocross. It was Roger DeCoster he dethroned. (if I'm recalling correctly, ha!) I'll shut up while I'm ahead.

Roger DeCoster, now that brings back memories of reading motocross mags when I was in my teens.  At that point I couldn't decide if I liked dirt riding or street riding more, so I kept jumping back and forth from street bikes to dirt bikes.  In my early twenties I finally decided that street riding was my thing, but I will always have fond memories of dirt riding and will always be thankful for the lessons that off road riding taught me.  

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

From Spenser to Mikkola Awesome Derail 👑

To note, I recall an article and I believe it was Bengt Åberg maybe Eric Geboers and maybe it was Lackey who said it.  One of these two never trained but drank and partied like an animal only to show up at the tracks hung over and beat the rest down.  Cant remember where I read it, but back then when Europe was the Jewal of MX it was a different time and place.  Listened to lackey once tell a story of living in a shed at the factory Husky place, it was not all limos and private planes back then

On 11/11/2017 at 5:47 AM, Beemer said:

Randy Mamola, I thnk you meant.  However mamola was a spoiled brat.  Way back in the day he raced a 125, 250 and 360 for Yamaha SoCal.  Watched him one day come back into the pits toss the bike to the ground and start screaming explitives (Age around 12 - 13).  I was Like WTF I would cut me nutz off and pecker for that bike.  I can say I was passed by Mamola ... Many Times :)

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

From Spenser to Mikkola Awesome Derail 👑

To note, I recall an article and I believe it was Bengt Åberg maybe Eric Geboers and maybe it was Lackey who said it.  One of these two never trained but drank and partied like an animal only to show up at the tracks hung over and beat the rest down.  Cant remember where I read it, but back then when Europe was the Jewal of MX it was a different time and place.  Listened to lackey once tell a story of living in a shed at the factory Husky place, it was not all limos and private planes back then

Several F1 drivers were the same, even champions. In winter sports, ski jumping, Matti Nykanen was/is alcoholic but ruled the sport for several years. He did train a bit, but drank a lot more. Croz was also more into partying than working out. 

Archived