The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha OEM Heated Grips Review

AlbatrossCafe

AlbatrossCafe

Background

I ordered the Yamaha OEM heated grips for my FZ last week. I had ridden 2 winters here in the Seattle, WA area where my hands would be the only cold part of my body (even with insulated gloves) and would be in pain before I got to work. Going on winter #3, I said "enough is enough". I'm usually good to about 40 degrees where below that it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

I ordered the Yamaha OEM grips because of the location/style of the "heat controller". I don't like how Oxford has that big square controller that takes up an unnecessary amount of real estate for such a simple function (pic example here).

Ordering Info:

Unfortunately, The Yamaha grips must be ordered from the Euro site if you want to get them from an official Yamaha online store. The US site lists them but says "you must contact a dealer to order". I didn't want to pay $200 and wait a month to get grips from the Euro source, so what I did was search eBay for the grips part number and filter on "US sellers only". A couple results pop up on occasion. I was able to get the grips to my door in 4 days for about $120.

Euro Link: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/comfort/grip-heater-120/YME-F2960-00-00/details.acc

US Link: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/universal-grip-heaters?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&dealernumber=&nw=yamaha-motor-company

Review:

• "Heat Controller" looks integrated and is barely noticeable. It is easy to operate and pretty much impossible to accidentally trigger it.
  • 3-level heat function - max level was actually too hot for 45F degree riding :) They get plenty warm!
  • They only take 15-30 seconds or so (depending on level) to start getting warm.
  • Grips are same length as OEM grips - no readjusting/moving of controls necessary
  • Grips have open ends and endcaps (no cutting needed) so that you can fit them over any bar configuration.
  • Installation was a BREEZE! No splicing needed. Connect a couple of waterproof connections and route to your battery under the panels. Done! It even comes with a fused power line.
  • Grips detect voltage level so that when you turn bike off, grips auto power down in case you leave them on

Pics:

aQVOzy5.jpgsDfpKpN.jpg

The worst part and only hiccup was trying to slide this grip on... there is 0 clearance. This alone took me like 20 minutes lol

R72EHlJ.jpg

REVIEW UPDATE: I have been commuting all week in exactly the kind of weather I bought these grips for. It has been about ~34-39 degrees for a 45 minute commute where 80% of it is highway. With these grips at max my hands feel GREAT. I used to have tons of pain from the cold after only about 5-10 minutes. Now, I am comfortable the whole commute. Even without hand guards, the inside of my hands gets warm enough so that the outsides aren't too bad.

Also, here are some pics with my hand on the grip in my setup. Some people were concerned about lack of grip space with these. As I said, I have size XXL gloves/hands. It looks tight with the bar-end mirror but they don't interfere at all when riding - I don't even notice them. My hand kind of nestles in under that curve in the bottom right of my mirror.

MElkD3E.jpg?13r5Ec73.jpg?1PPUvCdq.jpg?1

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Like 6

• Global Moderator

This is tempting.  I never liked the looks of the controllers of other heated grips either.  This is the first one I have seen that do not look like an add on.  

AlbatrossCafe
8 minutes ago, grefshk said:

Wow, these look like the best styled heated grips I've seen yet. How is the "grippiness" (spelling?😂) of them? 

No worse or better than the OEM grips. They are just very slightly harder (since there is plastic heating element/cylinder inside of them instead of being all rubber) but with gloves on I don't notice any difference.

• Like 1

Does the throttle side grip incorporate the throttle tube(connects to throttle cables) with the assembly?

My FZ currently has the "R6" throttle tube for bit more "umph," and I'd like to use it along with heated grips if possible.

54 minutes ago, glowsticknic said:

Does the throttle side grip incorporate the throttle tube(connects to throttle cables) with the assembly?

My FZ currently has the "R6" throttle tube for bit more "umph," and I'd like to use it along with heated grips if possible.

What he asked...please!

2 hours ago, markstertt said:

What he asked...please!

No, it doesnt. It slides over the bar/throttle tube just like any other replacement grip. So it should work fine with the R6 tube. I actually batted around the R6 tube idea before in installed mine but i dont really have complaint with the stock tube. I installed last night and tried them out the first time this morning. If the OP doesnt mind id like to add some of my experience too. Great review BTW albatross!

I havent bought winter gloves yet and have been riding with some leather palm/textile back snap on work gloves ( i have trouble with riding gloves, short thumbs haha).

That being said it was 46F when i road to work this morning and i had to turn them down from max like albatross did. They made the ride super comfortable on medium with sub par gloves. I imagine with a little better gloves these would be great down to a good bit lower temperature.

As far as grip, i was kinda upset when i took em out of the box because they didnt feel very rubbery compared to stock but like albatross said you really cant tell when riding. They are a slightly bigger diameter than stock of course but i found them to be easier on my hands even when the were off because of this. 

The left side grip is contoured too so it doesnt feel like your hand is up against it. Hard to describe, but other than the heat you really would have trouble noticing them there. They were perfect for me. I highly recommend them. 

Lastly, just a heads up on purchasing. My local dealer has been pretty reasonable in all the business of done with them so i called with the part number and they quoted me 119 plus tax. I went and put money down to order and they knocked off 10 bucks so i was under 120 with tax. Took a little over a week to get. I dont know how dealerships are elsewhere but i just figured id mention what i paid at brick and mortar in case anyone was curious. 

• Like 1

Sweet. Nice looking set-up. 

Oddly, the heavier the glove, the more you wind up insulating your hands from the heat of the grip. Eventually, the glove warms, but it takes a bit longer. Been my experience that heated grips are at their very best in mid 40s-50s temps. In the summer on a cool-colder morning, you can get away with thinner gloves. Perfect.

Hmm, voltage responsive - wonder what happens if you keep the bike on an Optimate or similar float charger that keeps the battery's voltage up?  

• Like 1

I think it reacts quite fast and isn't fuzzed about voltage, just change in voltage. So they work with ignition off, but when you ride voltage is about 14v. Shut off, and voltage soon drops to about 13v and it shuts off. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Thanks Albatrosscafe and Bigturbomax, nice write ups and I think I know what to ask for Christmas, always wanted to try heated grips but didn't like what was out there but this set looks nice and unobtrusive...also always wanted to try a quick shifter and a slipper clutch too...uhmmm, just in case there really is a Santa!

faffi...I'm going to have to check out those Givi deflectors also, that would make for a good combo...cold hands suck, hate it when I can't feel the controls when my hands freeze up.

• Like 2

AlbatrossCafe
On 11/10/2017 at 5:27 PM, glowsticknic said:

On 11/10/2017 at 6:21 PM, markstertt said:

What he asked...please!

Bigturbomax is correct - it slides over the throttle tube. The right side inner diameter is a little bigger than the left side to accommodate for this.

I have an R6 tube and it works with that no problem.

Just an FYI - the left side takes FOREVER to slide on but you don't need any glue when done. The right side slides on easy but you definitely need to reapply grip glue. I did it without at first and the throttle was all over the place. Luckily grip glue is very easy to add after the fact.

Thanks for info AlbatrossCafe,  I went to Yamahapartshouse.com and found the Yamaha access. heated grips #B67-H29A0-V0-00 universal and it appears to be the same components but before I call them I was wondering if anyone else knew if there was a difference? Like maybe the YME-F2960-00-00 comes with specific wiring/plugs for the FZ-07 for a plug and play install?Price for universal Yamaha accessory from Babbitts is $101.99 US right now.

AlbatrossCafe
34 minutes ago, markstertt said:

Thanks for info AlbatrossCafe,  I went to Yamahapartshouse.com and found the Yamaha access. heated grips #B67-H29A0-V0-00 universal and it appears to be the same components but before I call them I was wondering if anyone else knew if there was a difference? Like maybe the YME-F2960-00-00 comes with specific wiring/plugs for the FZ-07 for a plug and play install?Price for universal Yamaha accessory from Babbitts is $101.99 US right now.

Both connect directly to battery, so there are no wiring/plugs that will be different. If you want to connect to your OEM Aux Power plug, you have to buy/make another set of connectors.

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

Both connect directly to battery, so there are no wiring/plugs that will be different. If you want to connect to your OEM Aux Power plug, you have to buy/make another set of connectors.

Thanks again, the way I read your reply makes me think they are the same kit? I got an email back from Babbitts, Katie implied that the universal model doesn't connect to the bikes battery but uses it's own...I'm sorry but I don't think this is right so perhaps a call to someone else in the company is in order.

On 11/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, faffi said:

I think it reacts quite fast and isn't fuzzed about voltage, just change in voltage. So they work with ignition off, but when you ride voltage is about 14v. Shut off, and voltage soon drops to about 13v and it shuts off. I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Yep, while you ride, voltage is up at 14-14.2. I have a n LED voltage monitor on mine, so I see this. Modern float chargers (seeing an AGM battery) will run the voltage up to 14.2 and then drop the voltage to around 13.6V for some time. The Optimates will do this for 30 mins and then shut off for 30 mins to see how much voltage is lost and then repeat this on/off 30 min cycling, adjusting current as needed to keep the battery fully charged. I own 3 of them. My vehicle batteries are always happy

I'm thinking those grips might just come on - and that would be too bad, cause it seems like a nice solution to having the set-up switched so you can't accidentally leave them on.

Couldn't you just turn them off then when putting it on a charger? I'd rather do that anyways since every little way to reduce their time spent running will extend the life by that same amount. 

What about wiring them through the accessory plug under the tank?  I believe that one is tied in with the key and will cut power when the key is in the OFF position.

AlbatrossCafe
2 hours ago, VertigoTX said:

What about wiring them through the accessory plug under the tank?  I believe that one is tied in with the key and will cut power when the key is in the OFF position.

On the EU site, they list an adapter for this: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/electrical/heated-grips-connector-cable-/B74-H253L-00-00/details.acc

I couldn't find an equivalent in the US though. It would be easy to make if you can find the right connectors.

However, in the week or so I have been using them, it is pretty obvious that you have to turn them off. The heat is hard to miss.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the insight. I've been considering heated gloves since I have more than one bike. 

Anyone have any insight on those? I wanted to get ones that have rechargeable batteries so I don't need to hook up to power on the bike. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

1 hour ago, AlbatrossCafe said:

On the EU site, they list an adapter for this: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/electrical/heated-grips-connector-cable-/B74-H253L-00-00/details.acc

I couldn't find an equivalent in the US though. It would be easy to make if you can find the right connectors.

However, in the week or so I have been using them, it is pretty obvious that you have to turn them off. The heat is hard to miss.

According to the thread I'm linking below, you can just use the empty connector you find down there.  There is also info to order an empty one. 

I don't have mine yet, but I'd agree that it ought to be fairly obvious that they need to be turned off.  That being said, I'm human and make mistakes.  I'd want to wire it in a way to help protect me from accidentally running the battery down.  I got the ABS version of the bike based on the same thought process.  I know how to brake properly, but I also know that mistakes get made despite my best intentions and efforts.

Edited by VertigoTX
added extra thought, fixed a typo