The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha OEM Heated Grips Review

AlbatrossCafe

Heated grips only warm the inside - getting the wind off the outside have a massive effect on your comfort. My brother's K1100RT feels warmer around the hands without heater than a naked bike with heated grips in my experience. Adding the hand guards on the MT07 made a big difference on comfort for my digits.

• 5 months later...

I just installed these grips today. Set them to the >600cc mode and they get hot!  Very happy with the heat they are producing. 

I wired them directly to the battery as per the instructions and will leave them like that unless something happens and they don't turn off. I tested them three times and they shut off on their own after 1m45s. Knowing how I am, I'll most likely turn them off myself each time I shut off the bike, but the added security is welcoming. 

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

• Like 1

Instagram: @jayparrington 

For anyone still wondering about the heated grip length vs stock, here are a few pics. You do give up a bit of hand space but you'll notice in the second pic that it contours the thumb area nicely. Also, grip thickness is pretty much the same. 

IMG_0986.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

Edited by JayMT07
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 2:48 PM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Background

I ordered the Yamaha OEM heated grips for my FZ last week. I had ridden 2 winters here in the Seattle, WA area where my hands would be the only cold part of my body (even with insulated gloves) and would be in pain before I got to work. Going on winter #3, I said "enough is enough". I'm usually good to about 40 degrees where below that it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

I ordered the Yamaha OEM grips because of the location/style of the "heat controller". I don't like how Oxford has that big square controller that takes up an unnecessary amount of real estate for such a simple function (pic example here).

Ordering Info:

Unfortunately, The Yamaha grips must be ordered from the Euro site if you want to get them from an official Yamaha online store. The US site lists them but says "you must contact a dealer to order". I didn't want to pay $200 and wait a month to get grips from the Euro source, so what I did was search eBay for the grips part number and filter on "US sellers only". A couple results pop up on occasion. I was able to get the grips to my door in 4 days for about $120.

Euro Link: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/comfort/grip-heater-120/YME-F2960-00-00/details.acc

US Link: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/universal-grip-heaters?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&dealernumber=&nw=yamaha-motor-company

Review:

• "Heat Controller" looks integrated and is barely noticeable. It is easy to operate and pretty much impossible to accidentally trigger it.
  • 3-level heat function - max level was actually too hot for 45F degree riding :) They get plenty warm!
  • They only take 15-30 seconds or so (depending on level) to start getting warm.
  • Grips are same length as OEM grips - no readjusting/moving of controls necessary
  • Grips have open ends and endcaps (no cutting needed) so that you can fit them over any bar configuration.
  • Installation was a BREEZE! No splicing needed. Connect a couple of waterproof connections and route to your battery under the panels. Done! It even comes with a fused power line.
  • Grips detect voltage level so that when you turn bike off, grips auto power down in case you leave them on

Pics:

aQVOzy5.jpgsDfpKpN.jpg

The worst part and only hiccup was trying to slide this grip on... there is 0 clearance. This alone took me like 20 minutes lol

R72EHlJ.jpg

REVIEW UPDATE: I have been commuting all week in exactly the kind of weather I bought these grips for. It has been about ~34-39 degrees for a 45 minute commute where 80% of it is highway. With these grips at max my hands feel GREAT. I used to have tons of pain from the cold after only about 5-10 minutes. Now, I am comfortable the whole commute. Even without hand guards, the inside of my hands gets warm enough so that the outsides aren't too bad.

Also, here are some pics with my hand on the grip in my setup. Some people were concerned about lack of grip space with these. As I said, I have size XXL gloves/hands. It looks tight with the bar-end mirror but they don't interfere at all when riding - I don't even notice them. My hand kind of nestles in under that curve in the bottom right of my mirror.

MElkD3E.jpg?13r5Ec73.jpg?1PPUvCdq.jpg?1

On 11/10/2017 at 2:48 PM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Background

I ordered the Yamaha OEM heated grips for my FZ last week. I had ridden 2 winters here in the Seattle, WA area where my hands would be the only cold part of my body (even with insulated gloves) and would be in pain before I got to work. Going on winter #3, I said "enough is enough". I'm usually good to about 40 degrees where below that it becomes a bit uncomfortable.

I ordered the Yamaha OEM grips because of the location/style of the "heat controller". I don't like how Oxford has that big square controller that takes up an unnecessary amount of real estate for such a simple function (pic example here).

Ordering Info:

Unfortunately, The Yamaha grips must be ordered from the Euro site if you want to get them from an official Yamaha online store. The US site lists them but says "you must contact a dealer to order". I didn't want to pay $200 and wait a month to get grips from the Euro source, so what I did was search eBay for the grips part number and filter on "US sellers only". A couple results pop up on occasion. I was able to get the grips to my door in 4 days for about $120.

Euro Link: https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/accessories/genuine-options/comfort/grip-heater-120/YME-F2960-00-00/details.acc

US Link: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/universal-grip-heaters?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&dealernumber=&nw=yamaha-motor-company

Review:

• "Heat Controller" looks integrated and is barely noticeable. It is easy to operate and pretty much impossible to accidentally trigger it.
  • 3-level heat function - max level was actually too hot for 45F degree riding :) They get plenty warm!
  • They only take 15-30 seconds or so (depending on level) to start getting warm.
  • Grips are same length as OEM grips - no readjusting/moving of controls necessary
  • Grips have open ends and endcaps (no cutting needed) so that you can fit them over any bar configuration.
  • Installation was a BREEZE! No splicing needed. Connect a couple of waterproof connections and route to your battery under the panels. Done! It even comes with a fused power line.
  • Grips detect voltage level so that when you turn bike off, grips auto power down in case you leave them on

Pics:

aQVOzy5.jpgsDfpKpN.jpg

The worst part and only hiccup was trying to slide this grip on... there is 0 clearance. This alone took me like 20 minutes lol

R72EHlJ.jpg

REVIEW UPDATE: I have been commuting all week in exactly the kind of weather I bought these grips for. It has been about ~34-39 degrees for a 45 minute commute where 80% of it is highway. With these grips at max my hands feel GREAT. I used to have tons of pain from the cold after only about 5-10 minutes. Now, I am comfortable the whole commute. Even without hand guards, the inside of my hands gets warm enough so that the outsides aren't too bad.

Also, here are some pics with my hand on the grip in my setup. Some people were concerned about lack of grip space with these. As I said, I have size XXL gloves/hands. It looks tight with the bar-end mirror but they don't interfere at all when riding - I don't even notice them. My hand kind of nestles in under that curve in the bottom right of my mirror.

MElkD3E.jpg?13r5Ec73.jpg?1PPUvCdq.jpg?1

So this may be a year behind but this year I have an fz07! I was wondering if you had to buy the recommended electrical harness that yamaha suggests on the website? The eBay options don’t mention them but the US yamaha website you link has them as a required additional purchase. I was about to pull he trigger today but wanted to be sure I had everything. 

AlbatrossCafe
33 minutes ago, RunningonMT said:

So this may be a year behind but this year I have an fz07! I was wondering if you had to buy the recommended electrical harness that yamaha suggests on the website? The eBay options don’t mention them but the US yamaha website you link has them as a required additional purchase. I was about to pull he trigger today but wanted to be sure I had everything. 

I believe that harness lets you connect to the OEM aux plug that is located under your passenger seat. This is another measure to prevent you from turning on the grips with the bike off since that aux plug only has power when the key is on (I THINK).

Without that, it just hooks up directly to the battery. I did not get the harness. The grip controller has a built-in voltage detector that auto shuts off the grips if it detects low voltage (e.g. when the battery is low or bike is off) so I feel the harness is unnecessary. It has been working great for me for the last year.

Edited by AlbatrossCafe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

@RunningonMT, if you look at the website it says it is a required item, but the fitment for the harness shows only FZ/MT-09.  I have the grips and did not need a harness.  I do not think the aux plug has enough current capability to power the grips.  They work great powered straight from the battery and I sometimes (maybe often :) ) accidently leave them on when I turn off my bike and the auto shutoff function works fine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks to Albatrosscafe and Mjh937 for the responses! This is also a late post but wanted to give some recent review input.

Quick review: 18 degrees Fahrenheit equals 30-43 minutes of riding at tolerable finger comfort with tingling pains at the end of the ride.

It’s Holiday season in Baltimore, MD which means 23-40 degree Fahrenheit temps for the daily commute. Real feel as low as 18 so far. I wear the joe rocket rechargeable heated gloves as my winter gear but the electrical harness separated in an accident last December so they only work as regular gloves. I have the Powermadd handguards and stock levers/ bars. In the coldest conditions I alternate fingers for lever control and flex my fingers every 5 minutes or so to keep up the circulation. At 30+ it’s not so bad but I only go out for fun on weekends or after work if it’s 36 or over. I’ve worn ski glove liners inside but it prevents the heat transfer and the outer glove insulation prevents wicking so any hand moisture freezes and makes my hands colder. Some rubber/latex gloves actually work better. 

That’s as specific as I can be about comfort but my plan is to try the eBay heated gloves which look like the same make as the joe rockets except the branding. I think some outer heating will do the trick but I’m definitely open to suggestions. Good luck to any other winter riders and if your in the area and see a top box with Christmas lights then I’m only passing you to spread holiday cheer!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Thanks for all the reviews, comments, and such. 

The weather in the bay area is way too cold to not have these if you're riding year round. 

JUST bought em. Can't wait to install them. 

• Like 1

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

AlbatrossCafe
On 2/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, motomeek said:

Thanks for all the reviews, comments, and such. 

The weather in the bay area is way too cold to not have these if you're riding year round. 

JUST bought em. Can't wait to install them. 

Just used em today in 34 degree weather! I remembering toughing through that before I got these grips. My hands were in pain after like 3 minutes. Now I regret every time I have to grab the brake or clutch lever cus it means I am leaving warmth lol

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 2/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Just used em today in 34 degree weather! I remembering toughing through that before I got these grips. My hands were in pain after like 3 minutes. Now I regret every time I have to grab the brake or clutch lever cus it means I am leaving warmth lol

I think I purchased them from the same E-Bay seller that you got them from :P

• Like 1

persydonkers

was sold on the oxford grips because i didnt know there was much for options but these look good compared to others. whats the price tag on these grips? 

AlbatrossCafe
14 hours ago, persydonkers said:

was sold on the oxford grips because i didnt know there was much for options but these look good compared to others. whats the price tag on these grips? 

~$120. The Oxford controller is too obnoxious for me. That's why I went with these

• Like 1

$108 off of EBay. Like @AlbatrossCafe, I found the Oxford controller an eye sore that just took up even more handlebar space. My wife has the BikeMaster heated grips on her bike and loves them but they’re much thicker than stock and have a similar controller to the Oxford grips. 

The Koso Apollo grips that @Old Man linked to above look pretty nice. Not sure how they perform though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Woo woo, got these babies installed! 

I think the only gripe my wife has so far is that it's increased the diameter for her tiny hands, so reaching the levers are harder... will play around with moving stuff to try and make it better, but the hands are definitely warmer.

IMG_4029.thumb.jpg.340a65eb3688220f6c1fee7146857d91.jpg

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, motomeek said:

Woo woo, got these babies installed! 

I think the only gripe my wife has so far is that it's increased the diameter for her tiny hands, so reaching the levers are harder... will play around with moving stuff to try and make it better, but the hands are definitely warmer.

Bah

You don't need heated grips in norcal

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Bah

You don't need heated grips in norcal

BAH TO YOU. Have you been to NORCAL?!

• Global Moderator
46 minutes ago, motomeek said:

BAH TO YOU. Have you been to NORCAL?!

Once

Never again 

Y'all up there are some crazies

• Premium Member

Y'all rang??? I heard norcal 3 times...

BTW the Yamaha OEM heated grips( not the universal ones) get hot enough for the devil to cry uncle... Here in Michigan I barely go above setting 5... Heated grips work great if ones gloves have one thin layer in the palm area vs the thick insulation ones...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Y'all rang??? I heard norcal 3 times...

BTW the Yamaha OEM heated grips( not the universal ones) get hot enough for the devil to cry uncle... Here in Michigan I barely go above setting 5... Heated grips work great if ones gloves have one thin layer in the palm area vs the thick insulation ones...

Off topic... but if you're down for a ride... I'm down

• Global Moderator
36 minutes ago, motomeek said:

Don't go w/o me

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, motomeek said:

Might have to meet half way in the Midwest 😆... But the next time I plan to "go back home" I plan to go the route 66 way then head north thru Cali to "Norcal" ...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
On 3/14/2019 at 2:03 PM, norcal616 said:

Might have to meet half way in the Midwest 😆... But the next time I plan to "go back home" I plan to go the route 66 way then head north thru Cali to "Norcal" ...

LOL you deceived me! JK. Well if you ever... LMK!