The MT-07 Forum

REAR SHOCK SPRING RATE

R6-FZ07

On the racetech website.  The rear spring rate is listed at 10.8kg/mm.  Is that rate correct? 

I also saw on another thread it was tested at 11 something but I could have read it wrong.

Thanks,

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, R6-FZ07 said:

On the racetech website.  The rear spring rate is listed at 10.8kg/mm.  Is that rate correct? 

I also saw on another thread it was tested at 11 something but I could have read it wrong.

Thanks,

That sounds about right, around 625 lbs/in or 11 kg/mm.  The less expensive springs will vary more from spring to spring.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2 hours ago, blackout said:

That sounds about right, around 625 lbs/in or 11 kg/mm.  The less expensive springs will vary more from spring to spring.

Awesome.  Thanks.  Not sure why the suspension guy is recommending 10.7 racetech springs.

People seem to claim the stock shock is overly soft, but for me it was harsh and stiff. I'm 200 lb net, BTW. But the spring rate seems about right for my Virago. I better measure the eye-to-eye length. Anybody know the stroke (travel) of the stock shock?

• Premium Member

For what it's worth, I'm 180 pounds with gear and run a 625 lb per inch rear spring on my Nitron shock.  Still a little stiff for the street I think, but seems good so far on the track.  I started with a 675 lb per inch spring.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

6 hours ago, R6-FZ07 said:

Thanks,

If you are interested, I have read this a few times, good info great refreasher. 

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/making-sense-motorcycle-suspension-springs-tech-tips-mc-garage-technology

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

6 hours ago, faffi said:

People seem to claim the stock shock is overly soft, but for me it was harsh and stiff. I'm 200 lb net, BTW. But the spring rate seems about right for my Virago. I better measure the eye-to-eye length. Anybody know the stroke (travel) of the stock shock?

Eye to eye is 310mm for stock shock.

Spring is 620#

Travel is 43mm to the bumper

Harsh does not necessary mean it is stiff.

I know, but it gave little sack and worked better two-up.

Thanks for the stats.Unfortunately it makes it unsuitable for my Virago scrambler as travel is way off what I need. The XT600 shock I'm using has a 600 lb spring and 84 mm of travel for an actual wheel travel of 127 mm.

The "harshness" may be the lack of rebound damping coupled with big stroke excursions from your weight/ soft spring.

In the days when everything had crap suspension , people often reported the rear was too stiff when it was actually bottoming and flash returning against pretty much no damping. Hondas and Yamahas were notorious for it.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Yes, I have thought about that, but it didn't bottom AFAIK, not even over rather big stuff. And it was stiff as hell over anything from tiny ripples to bigger bumps, but it was less bad over frost heaves and speed bumps. Rebound was a bit rapid in these cases, but it was just one kick up and done, no continued bouncing. 

Archived