The MT-07 Forum

When to sell

Yury Lo

I am getting to 11k miles soon and was wondering when I should consider selling my current fz07.

I purchased it with 6.3k miles towards the end of June for 4,600.

Now the bike has 10,350 miles on it and I am becoming worried that I'll have difficulty selling it because of the mileage.

How much should I list it for so that my new MT wouldn't cost me too much more of an investment ?

Has anyone sold/bought their bike with 10k+ miles and what was the price?

You're right, I've never bought used bike with more than 6K on it... I bought mine 2015 this May with 4,300 miles... and I just realized... I paid for it also $4,300 that is FUNNY!

What year

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

9 minutes ago, nick13 said:

You're right, I've never bought used bike with more than 6K on it... I bought mine 2015 this May with 4,300 miles... and I just realized... I paid for it also $4,300 that is FUNNY!

wow thats an awesome deal you got. 

are you in  the states?

According to KBB.com a 2016 Retail is 5940, trade in what a dealer woudl give you is 4095.  The 2015 is 5500 / 3700

If the bike has been maintained and you have papers (Maintenace records, reciepts) to show that There is not reason you could not get top dollor just depends on buyer and how bad you want to sell.  I always use cycletrader and other sites with KBB to see what I can get away with.

I sold a 2007 DRZ for 4700 it had 1k miles on it, so it was technically a brand new bike

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

2 minutes ago, r1limited said:

According to KBB.com a 2016 Retail is 5940, trade in what a dealer woudl give you is 4095.  The 2015 is 5500 / 3700

If the bike has been maintained and you have papers (Maintenace records, reciepts) to show that There is not reason you could not get top dollor just depends on buyer and how bad you want to sell.  I always use cycletrader and other sites with KBB to see what I can get away with.

I sold a 2007 DRZ for 4700 it had 1k miles on it, so it was technically a brand new bike

DAMN . I actually don't have any paperwork from the previous owner or any of my own. 

I know it's unethical ; but is there any way to 'create' these records/receipts  :}

& thank you for your responses, very informative 

If you do not have them you do not have them.  Shops keep records so you can ask for those.  Just dont lie

• 2 months later...
firstyammerha

In my recent posts regarding trading my 2016 with 1100 miles on it for a current model Stripple, one dealer salesman told me $3300 was the `Black Book' value of the bike. That's the way it is if the new bike is `hot' on the market.

motorcycle consumer news publishes the KBB Black book values every quarter or so.

Blue book is normally at least 10 if not 15% too high. Black is more realistic. 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

14 hours ago, pattonme said:

motorcycle consumer news publishes the KBB Black book values every quarter or so.

Blue book is normally at least 10 if not 15% too high. Black is more realistic. 

I don't get why you would want a new bike only 7 mo. after buying one. You've barely got to home plate with her and now you want to dump her for a pettier bike??? You big user! 😉

Beemer

I've got over 30k on my baby, every single mile all put on by me! :) A few others here are even higher in the miles than I.  Ride it, enjoy it.  That's what its for.  At 10k miles I wouldn't be worried as a buyer if it was properly cared for.

except the typical American bike barely sees 3000 miles a year so their eyes go wide when they see high numbers. You and I know it'll do 70K miles without missing a beat. At one point all my bikes were over 40K and the CB750 was at 98K miles when I sold it. It didn't last 6 months after that. Gross neglect and just stupid next owner.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

11k miles isn't even halfway to your first valve check. Valve check, not adjustment. I know it's cliche, but it's literally still breaking in. 

Sell it if you want another bike, but there's no mechanical reason to dump the bike now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these bikes will go 100k miles easily. 200k on a maintained bike should be doable, but only time will on that. My Dad put 100k miles on a CB750 he bought new in '74, then traded it in one year later on a '75 model. He never touched the engine or carburetors. 40 years of technology later, I'm positive these Yamaha's have 100k+ miles of service life in them. 

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

11k miles isn't even halfway to your first valve check. Valve check, not adjustment. I know it's cliche, but it's literally still breaking in. 

Sell it if you want another bike, but there's no mechanical reason to dump the bike now. 

I wouldn't be surprised if these bikes will go 100k miles easily. 200k on a maintained bike should be doable, but only time will on that. My Dad put 100k miles on a CB750 he bought new in '74, then traded it in one year later on a '75 model. He never touched the engine or carburetors. 40 years of technology later, I'm positive these Yamaha's have 100k+ miles of service life in them. 

Don't let it "sit", and it won't let you down... The absolute WORST thing you can to to a bike is NOT use it (carbed, or F.I.) I was at my local dealer a few years back, and this guy comes in for "service". He has a 5 year old Honda Goldwing 1800, with  500,000 miles on it.... He had the "foresight" to buy the 5 year/unlimited mile extended warranty. The service manager actually smiled, and said "your covered". They gave him a brand new motor. I was really impressed, not just that they covered it, but that anyone could put that amount of miles on a bike in such a short period of time-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

German bike magazine 'Motorrad" did a 50.000km test with the MT07 and they had 0 trouble with the bike.

When they took it apart at the end of the test they found basically everything in more or less as new condition....  

here is the link for the german readers:

//www.motorradonline.de/dauertest/dauertest-abschlussbilanz-yamaha-mt-07.806360.html

-so being cheap doesnt mean its crap ;)

While the resale value will decline with mileage, at the end of the day people will buy clean bikes that appear to have been maintained.  These bikes aren't expensive, at a certain age, it matters very little how many miles are on it.  I would say you are better off enjoying the bike than worrying about what will probably amount to less than a $1000 of difference.  Considering most people spend a good bit of money on accessories for each bike, you would most likely not make out very well once you purchase a new bike, and buy all the things you want for it.  

Archived