The MT-07 Forum

HotBodies SV-R Bodywork on FZ-07R

pdt155

HotBodies is having their November 50% off sale on bodywork and that has me thinking.  They make a body kit for the SV650 similar to the APmotoarts body kit for the FZ07R, their body kit is called the SV-R bodywork.  Due to both bikes being relatively slender, does anybody have both bikes or access to both bikes to see if the upper and lower could be mounted to the FZ-07?  They look decently similar, and grabbing a bodywork set for $350 right now means I could buy 3 sets for the price of one FZ-07R bodywork kit.  I'm sure it would take a custom bracket or two but if it isn't a total hack job that could be another option.

• Premium Member

Look for an SV650 engine for sale on ebay and then ask the seller to measure the overall width of the engine so you can compare it to your FZ-07.  That's how I got the overall width of the R6 engine.  They assume you might be using the engine for an odd project like a Formula SAE racer.

Also, take a look at this website.  Racers have put several different body fairings on the SV650 that come from bikes that you would think would be too wide.  It gives you an idea what a wider body would look like on a narrower bike.

http://www.lwtracer.com

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Also, make sure you are comfortable with fabricating.  Or you can quickly get over your head to save some money.  With that being said, you will never learn until you jump into a project. :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Why not stick with Yamaha stuff? What about the R3 bodywork? Obviously if that doesn't look the way you want would be a good reason but I would think that it would be closer to begin with possibly. It would certainly be fun....... "Oh, yeah, its just an R3 with a slip on....... wanna race?"

87' Honda VFR 700 F2 (sold)
03' Honda CBR F4I (donated)
05' Yamaha R1 (sold)
15' FZ-o7

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Geteup said:

Why not stick with Yamaha stuff? What about the R3 bodywork? Obviously if that doesn't look the way you want would be a good reason but I would think that it would be closer to begin with possibly. It would certainly be fun....... "Oh, yeah, its just an R3 with a slip on....... wanna race?"

The R3 could work as the radiator is the same width as the FZ07.  I almost went with the R3.

The SV-R looks bad ass as it looks like a MotoGP bike.   It does not look like any Suzuki at the dealership.  This is probably why pdt155 is looking at it as an option.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Yep, I love the smooth flowing GP bike look that both the APmotoarts and the hotbodies SV-R kits have.  I am an engineer and have access to a machine shop, its not impossible, but if its going to end up being 40 hours of chopping fairings and making brackets its not worth it.  I just wanted a cheaper set of bodywork that was more available, while keeping the insanely good looks.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pdt155 said:

Yep, I love the smooth flowing GP bike look that both the APmotoarts and the hotbodies SV-R kits have.  I am an engineer and have access to a machine shop, its not impossible, but if its going to end up being 40 hours of chopping fairings and making brackets its not worth it.  I just wanted a cheaper set of bodywork that was more available, while keeping the insanely good looks.

Engineer,  machine shop, sounds like you are good to go.  Do you have access to a TIG welder, that would seal the deal. :)

The only chopping to the fairings might be to add holes for side case clearance and frame sliders.  Many production bikes have their bodywork that way.  Whether you want that look or not is up to you.  The  FZ07R bodywork does have bubbles for clearance from the looks of it.

Do you have experience working with fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

It's not too difficult to fit most glass to any bike as long as it is vaguely similar size wise to start with. I know Ninja 250/300, Honda CB500 stuff, R3 stuff, KTM RC8  stuff, most any big single or twin cylinder stuff fits pretty well. As far as how it looks when done, that is up to the eye of the builder, some better than others. When youre talking about i4 stuff thats a bit wide and needs to get bowed in and doesn't seem as 'nice' when done.  

As far as the 'how big?' question above, the FZ07 motor is 15 inches at its widest, same as the SV. My second gen SV was also 15 inches between the ankles at the rearsets compared to the FZ @ 12.5 inches. For comparison an R6 motor is about 1.5 inches wider than an FZ07 motor and they are the same weight, 128#  (within 1 pound) believe it or not.

hmm, you guys have me seriously thinking about this....

As for the fiberglass and epoxy question, I am a structural engineer specializing in composite structures so I'm definitely familiar, however I don't have my own garage anymore so I don't have much space to do wet layup.  I can do it at work but only in short bursts, I can't have projects laying around.

Mossrider, thanks for the measurements, that means it is at least feasible.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, pdt155 said:

hmm, you guys have me seriously thinking about this....

As for the fiberglass and epoxy question, I am a structural engineer specializing in composite structures so I'm definitely familiar, however I don't have my own garage anymore so I don't have much space to do wet layup.  I can do it at work but only in short bursts, I can't have projects laying around.

Mossrider, thanks for the measurements, that means it is at least feasible.

Do it! :)

Share your project on here, the upstate NY winters are too long here.

Will this bike be street ridden?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Archived