The MT-07 Forum

Another Contender for the FZ-07/09 - KTM 790!

topazsparrow

Anyone else's interest piqued on this bike? Spec wise it's a pretty serious upgrade from the FZ-07, but I reckon it will have that super punchy twin torque curve that I love about the 07. 

100+bhp and 63ft/lbs tq. 

Maybe better suited to compete with the FZ-09 and likely a price point to match it, but I can see a lot of FZ-07 riders moving to this as an upgrade.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hands down the Ktoom will beat stupid the FZ

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

It looks interesting, but I do not like the headlight or exhaust.  I think it would be a tough choice between it or an FZ-09.  I expect the price will make choosing the Yamaha easier. 

If the suspension is ANYTHING like the 690 duke it will stomp all over the 07. It is the only bike ( for the road) I have felt no pressing to improve the suspension in 45years of riding. This is race bike sharp handling and smooth effortless suspension.

HOWEVER!!! if the fuelling is anything like the 690 Duke it will be way worse than the 07...way worse....way way worse. It was dangerous crap. If you feathered the throttle into  a corner it would shut off the fuell and hesitate before accellerating and the bike would stand up and try and go straight ahead... Fixed by TWO aftermarket circuit additions ( KevTx) or reflash ( wasn't available when we got ours).

According to Sally, her KTM has the best seat she has ever sat on on a bike and she has been riding for 45years. This fact she keeps repeating incessantly over the intercom...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member

Yes, I'll take a 790 twin, thank you.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I'm more pragmatic than passionate.  KTM reliability, no bueno for me, thanks.  Reason why I would never buy Italian.  Reason why I bought a Lexus over BMW.  Boring, I know but I'm sorry, I prefer reliability over something fleeting like passion.   Because in the end, your motorcycle just becomes your motorcycle after a few months.  And when it reaches that point, I prefer to be happy that I know it isn't going to go to shet.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

59 minutes ago, duenan said:

I'm more pragmatic than passionate.  KTM reliability, no bueno for me, thanks.  Reason why I would never buy Italian.  Reason why I bought a Lexus over BMW.  Boring, I know but I'm sorry, I prefer reliability over something fleeting like passion.   Because in the end, your motorcycle just becomes your motorcycle after a few months.  And when it reaches that point, I prefer to be happy that I know it isn't going to go to shet.

Ya do know KTM is Austrian right?  I am .sure you know that? 
DUC H8TR

DUC H8TR

DUC H8TR

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

12 hours ago, r1limited said:

Do you have a FZ07? Do you own one and hate it? Not trying to cause problems, but I only ever see you say negative things about them. If you dislike these bikes so much, why are you here?

Why would people be offended by honest evaluations? That is something I've never been able to understand. You can like something even if it is flawed. You can even like it because it is flawed. But it's still flawed. There are a lot of things not great with the MT07, but it is still a fun package. And it can be improved upon, but once you have sorted the suspension and seating comfort, the bike is no longer a bargain. And stock for stock, the KTM790 will offer better handling and better suspension and offer more power than an MT07. However, it will also cost considerably more. Does that make the MT07 bad? Not in my book. 

Dry weight of the production KTM is allegedly around 150 kg, this moto will be one to watch...

At that weight, with up to 115bhp (depending on model) it's in a different category to the 07.

• Premium Member

I would compare the KTM 790(798cc) to the MT-09 (847cc) since they are only approx 50cc apart but very similar HP/TQ numbers... the MT-07(689cc)  is still 110cc less than the KTM 790...

also look at what Hordpower achieved with his full tilt engine works and airbox to give the 90whp mark a peck on the cheek... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Will fly to eicma tomorrow and have a look on all these bikes.
I never really liked the designs of the KTMs if I'm honest but it fits to their slogan "ready to race".
Like duenan pointed out the reliability issue. Thats something  still a lot people are saying. I don't know if it's still true.

But I read for example that the seat from the 1090/1190/1290 gets extremely hot from the engine under it.
I don't think that a japanese manufacturer would release a bike with such a problem. It's a good example.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'm from Austria so it would be cool if I could love KTM. Still working on that :)

Most things are flawed; it's just a qestion of degree. 'What can you get/put-up-with for the money you want to spend?' That is the question. Yamaha reliability has come into sharp focus for me and KTM does not compare in that respect. The 790 is not an 07 competitor, for me anyway.

Just do it! 

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:
15 hours ago, r1limited said:

Do you have a FZ07? Do you own one and hate it? Not trying to cause problems, but I only ever see you say negative things about them. If you dislike these bikes so much, why are you here?

Give R1 a break - he's just one of the many opinionated members of this forum, and there have been far more people on this forum that are seriously worth bashing. Then again, I'm sure Crusin doesn't want this forum to turn into a slam fest. We are just a bunch of bike folks with all kind of different motorcycle experiences and opinions who happen to ride a FZ-07.

BTW, I'm a return member (formerly 2wheeler), so I speak from 2 years experience on this forum.

Sum Buuddy is butt hurt

My opinions are pretty much on the money, dont like em dont worry I got more ;)

3 hours ago, robbo10 said:

Most things are flawed; it's just a qestion of degree. 'What can you get/put-up-with for the money you want to spend?' That is the question. Yamaha reliability has come into sharp focus for me and KTM does not compare in that respect. The 790 is not an 07 competitor, for me anyway.

I have to agree, there is no comparison and that was my point sorry people get all bent sideways when challanged menatally "Not Really"  Its like saying Footbal sucks or here in the PNW call the Seahawks SeaHags man that makes for a time of fun... :)

KTM is noted for quality and makes some pretty damn rock solid equipment.  Expensive?  well ya shipping to the US and the idiots in the fed goobermint and da Fing beef council have a lot to do with that as that $5 part in Austria is 25 here.  But I digress, lb for lb the KTM 790 as you stated is not even in the same catagory as the FZ and for anyone to consider that is well .... challanged

• Premium Member

I like the White Power USD forks on the KTM 790.  I remember when that company was not ashamed of it's name....  Then we got PC.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Anyone know if the rear suspension is linked?  KTM seems to prefer unlinked suspensions.  A link makes it so easy to make geometry changes as we have seen with the FZ07.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I'll take the ADV version!! Seen a video of that as well. Not crazy about the looks of either the duke or the ADV version but that is mainly from the hideous looking, transformer style headlight. I'd get over it quickly if I was riding one around I'm sure.

Looks like a bad-ass bike though!!

4 hours ago, r1limited said:

Sum Buuddy is butt hurt

My opinions are pretty much on the money, dont like em dont worry I got more ;)

I've been avoiding saying anything until this comment, but you're one of the sole reasons I don't bother posting questions or comments here lately. You spam replies in almost every single thread like it's your day job and most of your replies are inflammatory nonsense that bring little value to the discussions. You're static noise in an otherwise great forum.

Nobody is butt hurt here, they're just tired of nonsense comments without any substance or rational logic supporting them. When they ask for you to elaborate you  get defensive and call them names? I'm honestly not sure what brings you here.

59 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

I've been avoiding saying anything until this comment, but you're one of the sole reasons I don't bother posting questions or comments here lately. You spam replies in almost every single thread like it's your day job and most of your replies are inflammatory nonsense that bring little value to the discussions. You're static noise in an otherwise great forum.

Nobody is butt hurt here, they're just tired of nonsense comments without any substance or rational logic supporting them. When they ask for you to elaborate you  get defensive and call them names? I'm honestly not sure what brings you here.

Well OK then, uh well I'm sorry?

👉👃👈

7 hours ago, stev74 said:

Will fly to eicma tomorrow and have a look on all these bikes.
I never really liked the designs of the KTMs if I'm honest but it fits to their slogan "ready to race".
Like duenan pointed out the reliability issue. Thats something  still a lot people are saying. I don't know if it's still true.

But I read for example that the seat from the 1090/1190/1290 gets extremely hot from the engine under it.
I don't think that a japanese manufacturer would release a bike with such a problem. It's a good example.
Maybe I'm wrong. I'm from Austria so it would be cool if I could love KTM. Still working on that :)

I grew up on KTM's. In the early 90's when most people in my area had no idea what they were, but they knew my bike was fast. KTM has always had a knack  for having the edge when it comes to performance. Not sure that will ever change. I hope it doesn't.

My older KTM's were deadly reliable. A lot of the modern KTM's seem to be showing reliability issues, but it's typically little silly issues creating larger issues. Like poorly sealed airboxes that allow offroad bikes to ingest dirt, electric starter motors that are too weak to crank the engine reliably ( and eventually fail), thin wiring harnesses that get rubbed through easily. Their chassis' and basic engines are still solid, but I think they are currently sacrificing too much reliability the shave ounces of weight off the bikes. 

Archived