The MT-07 Forum

2018 rear shock on older FZ??!

peteinpa

I'm hoping the new rear shock fits on older bikes. Adjustable rebound would be great.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

I doubt they changed the geometry, so the 2018 shock should bolt right up.  Still might be better to go aftermarket.  It would depend on the price of 2018 shocks.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator

I agree, I bet it fits but I would spend a bit more to buy a better aftermarket shock. 

If the cost stays around 200 as it is for the OEM now, that would be a cheap upgrade for sure

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

there are a lot of oem fz-07 shocks being sold on craigslist and ebay for around $30-50 bucks. it'd be good to see the new shock pop up as cheap if it's worth the upgrade.

BUy new form a dealer its about $200, used I would not give a plugged nickle for it.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, r1limited said:

BUy new form a dealer its about $200, used I would not give a plugged nickle for it.

I'll sell you mine for a nickel or even trade for a Nickelback CD. It's only got about 2000 miles on it. 😉

For the same 200, sent Terry@NorwestSuspension's way and you can have a properly valved unit. OE suspension is crap, really stinky crap. The K-Tech Razor Lite is ~450 delivered. Sell the iPhone, eat Ramen and you'll be able to afford a proper shock in no time.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, pattonme said:

For the same 200, sent Terry@NorwestSuspension's way and you can have a properly valved unit. OE suspension is crap, really stinky crap. The K-Tech Razor Lite is ~450 delivered. Sell the iPhone, eat Ramen and you'll be able to afford a proper shock in no time.

Peanut butter sandwiches for me.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, pattonme said:

O E M F Z
Shock Poo Poo Fo Show Uh Huh
Make Nut hurt so bad

Japanes Hikoo

• Premium Member

its still gonna be wonky shock as Yamaha thinks the avg person weighs 120# suited up... sure it will be an improvement over the original shock but dont hope for much if your over 120# 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

8 hours ago, norcal616 said:

its still gonna be wonky shock as Yamaha thinks the avg person weighs 120# suited up... sure it will be an improvement over the original shock but dont hope for much if your over 120# 

They do in Japan

On 11/6/2017 at 9:22 PM, blackout said:

Peanut butter sandwiches for me.  

says the guy with K-Tech fork cartridges... PB&J is unfortunately the 3 lethal combo of high sugar, high fat and high carb. Now just a plain spoonful of unsweetened PB would be fine...

Efu-Ji shokku

kore wa nani moto da

haji or shi-re

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

On 11/6/2017 at 9:01 PM, pattonme said:

More info and pics on this shock?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

More info and pics on this shock?

i'm guessing the $200 one is your OEM shock revalved.

• 2 months later...

I plan to upgrade the rear shock this upcoming riding season. Still waiting for the 2018 MT-07 parts fiches to come online. If it's like $250 for the 2018 rear shock I'll do it. If it's close to aftermarket $$$ I'll go that route.

From various sources the shock is anywhere from 5% to 11% stiffer both in spring and damping with adjustable rebound damping for 2018.

Still have time, long winter to go yet.

16 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Fom various sources the shock is anywhere from 5% to 11% stiffer both in spring and damping with adjustable rebound damping for 2018.

It's still an emulsion style shock, mixing the gas and oil which is subject to change  with temperature and use.

A $50 barely used unit might be worth a punt, I wouldn't pay more...

On 1/13/2018 at 10:36 AM, peteinpa said:

Still waiting for the 2018 MT-07 parts fiches to come online. If it's like $250 for the 2018 rear shock I'll do it. If it's close to aftermarket $$$ I'll go that route.

First rule of buying a Japanese bike. Unless you spent well over 10 grand (and even then) the suspension is hopeless crap. (there are exceptions, but rare) Why would you throw good money after bad? Ron Ayers has the 2017 at 365 marked down to 277 or so. Lets assume the price holds, 277+200 to fix internals and another 100 to re-spring it, and you might as well have bought the K-Tech and gotten a much better product to boot.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 months later...

I give....Matt's sending me a K-tech Lite. Should be easy to install I have a center stand.

On 1/14/2018 at 12:25 AM, stickshift said:

It's still an emulsion style shock, mixing the gas and oil which is subject to change  with temperature and use.

Stock shock is not emulsion

6 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I give....Matt's sending me a K-tech Lite. Should be easy to install I have a center stand.

You should love the shock.  It really is night and day over stock.

Archived