The MT-07 Forum

Yamaha new model announcement in coming today!

Cruizin

• Global Moderator

I am curious about the revised suspension on the 2018 MT-07.  I need to see one in person to look at the new bodywork. 

its already up at the yamaha us website

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/hyper-naked/models/2018/mt-07

All new plastics, seats and everything, but it seem subtle in its changes.  I guess the 4 eye headlight was a red herring or limited only to the T7.  Not a fan of the first gen FZ09 inspired headlights.  Step backwards to me.

Edit:  Yup... sure enough, they are all called MT now... what's going to happen with the forum names now?

This is great, why did Yamaha dick around with us for 5 or so years?

Hey, is that an mt07?  Yes, its fz07.. er, I mean, yes mt07.  Fz07?  What's that?  It was called fz07, even though it is an mt07 then they renamed it mt07 but you can see under the seat it says fz07, but yes its an mt07.

Good going yamaha.

They shied away from the 09-type headlights and went safe. Sensible. The underseat cover plate thingy has gone black. It all looks very good to me.

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator
24 minutes ago, Boe said:

The changes are interesting. They actually got rid of the big orange turn signals that everyone loves so much. 😁

If you look closely the photos say "European model shown".  I hope that does not mean we will get the pumpkins, but I bet we do.  As long as they do not put that silly transformers logo on it I will be happy.  

• Premium Member

I'm not sure if the emblem on the tank is going to look decent in person or just weird.

img.jpg?id=59f9f62f2a0ab82df8673307&w=84

definitely some neat improvements but I still like my '15 model a little more. :D

• Premium Member

No more fake USD fork plastic thingies!...  Be proud of the RSU forks I say! :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

ULTRA BOTS UNITE

Ultrabot_2.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

4 hours ago, Boe said:

The changes are interesting. They actually got rid of the big orange turn signals that everyone loves so much. 1f601.png

I like the placement of them way better if nothing else!

6 hours ago, nick13 said:

1:37 long video. .75 seconds of faint glimpses at new bike, 1:36.25 seconds of bullsh!t cosplay uselessness...

3 hours ago, blackout said:

No more fake USD fork plastic thingies!...  Be proud of the RSU forks I say! :)

lmao!! I made fun of those relentlessly at the dealership. My salesman was an awesome guy who I had fun talking to. He actually had the service department take those stupid things off for me before I picked the bike up :)  I had no idea they were gonna do it, but I'm glad. They're laying around somewhere...

A flat black bike with tiny front turn signals. Expect dead people. One of the most common acident is where the oncoming car doesn't see the bike or turnsignals.

The new bike still has a princess tiny tank and no mention of the tracer longer swingarm, despite all the tracer reviewers saying it improved the handling so much ( gee what a surprise...)

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I really² wished that they did the quad projector one.

But still, I kinda like how the 2018 model looks with the ol' MT09 headlamp.

I wonder if it will looks weird to swap the new headlamp into the old MT/FZ07.

4 hours ago, gregjet said:

A flat black bike with tiny front turn signals. Expect dead people. One of the most common acident is where the oncoming car doesn't see the bike or turnsignals.

I have read many times that studies do not link conspicuous gear/bikes with a lowered risk, but never actually seen such a study. To me, it doesn't seem logic - a bicyclist or jogger with a good reflective west or at least wearing bright colours is much easier to spot than one in black. But maybe there is more to it?

Anyway, I went to search for data and found this supporting high viz:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC387473/ 

One that place som doubts:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2013/jan/10/cycling-high-visibility-safe-fluorescent

Another story that seems to think it doesn't help:

The "evidence" used to support hi viz is as follows:

The role of conspicuity measures in improving detection of motorcyclists in traffic was examined by Wells et al (BMJ 2004; 32, who reported a 37% reduction in risk for riders who wore reflective or fluorescent clothing. 

http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/328/7444/857.full.pdf

In the recommendation arising from the Inquiry into Motorcycle Safety, the Victorian Parliamentary Road Safety Committee paid a good deal of attention to the work of De Craen et al (2011), published by SWOV. De Craen highlights that brightly colored high-visibility clothing is more effective in an urban environments which, in Victoria, is where 80 per cent of 2-vehicle novice rider crashes occur (Victoria Police crash data, 2009-2013).

http://www.swov.nl/rapport/R-2011-25.pdf

Research regarding the role of conspicuity can also be found in Motorcycle Conspicuity – What Factors Have the Greatest Impact? http://www.intrans.iastate.edu/rese...h-reports/motorcycle_conspicuity_ii_w_cvr.pdf. This study found a significant increase in detection distance of brightly cloroured riders in both rural and urban settings. This more recent work may not have been available to the Parliamentary Committee when it made its deliberations as the report was not published until June 2012.

This thread is to explore the pros and cons of the notion of hi viz and the validity of the research.

Interestingly both of the first two research papers make mentions of the possible confounds in their population sample which may render their conclusions moot. (Note, Vicroads doesn't mention this!)

The first paper tries robustly to rationalise the confound away, but it's been roundly condemned by many since it's release. Perhaps we can explore what these confounds mean in the posts ahead. @smileedude and other research heads, I'm looking at you! It really is an important notion to understand and why statistical studies on this topic are generally flawed and why a proper randomised trial is the only way to answer whether hi viz has any genuine efficacy.

The third research paper is a simulator study asking participants to press a button when they first noted a bike. Yes, conspicuous bikes were noted further away than non conspicuous bikes, but the interesting fact that appears to have gone unnoticed about this study is that when given the task of noting bikes, ALL bikes were noted, even the dark ones. To me it reinforces the well understood human condition of you see what you expect to see. Given that most drivers don't expect to see bikes, they DON'T even when in plain sight. This is a common experience amongst riders and why we advise each other to "ride around like we're invisible", because for a lot of the time, we are invisible through NO PHYSICAL APPEARANCE FAULT OF OUR OWN.

Clearly Vicorads has made the leap that if a bike is seen then it will be safer. However, the simulator study doesn't say any such thing.

The other thing is even if we are seen, other cognitive issues, the most predominant one known as "time to arrival illusion" (it's even mentioned on the TAC Spokes site), means that drivers often incorrectly assess the bike's speed and distance, so they drive out into our path assuming we are further away - this is the classic "SMIDSY" type incident often leading drivers to believe we were speeding. Hi Viz will not help this cognitive issue in any way.

What will help address this cognitive issue is awareness and education. For example, when I see a bike in the distance (i.e. awareness, I'm expecting and looking for bikes), I don't judge it's distance by how far away it looks - I scan the road all the way up to the bike and get a much truer sense of how far away it is. This is NOT common practice, but it should be (ie education).

I will say this though, despite the fears of thin edge of the wedge stuff, I don't believe this is a first step move towards mandating all riders in hi viz. I think the notion comes from a genuinely well meaning place to help give our most vulnerable road users, novice riders, every edge they can on the road. As we know, on 3AW recently, the announcer expressed the opinion of many, even if hi viz doesn't help, it can't hurt. This is a very hard notion to shift but it is not a good notion to base new regulation on.

Motorcycle News had a fascinating article 5 years ago on what the eye can and cannot see. It was written by a fighter pilot. He knows a thing or two.

It should be a must-read for all drivers and riders. It is here: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2012/december/dec2812-the-rules-see-and-be-seen/

I have it beside me on my desk permanently lest I should forget any of it. It seems more relevant to me than anything about so called hi-viz wear.

Just do it! 

I knew some of this, and always move my eyes while driving, but there are some repeated problem areas. The most common is to have something hidden by the pillars and not moving my head enough to spot what's behind. And now it seems I even make it worse by not utilizing the whole screen while driving 😩 The only thing in the article that isn't always correct is the change of speed when approaching intersections - if both change direction in the same manner (you and the one entering from your side(s) ) the blind spot would still be constant. May be more of a national issue here in Norway where those coming from the right in general have the right of way. In addition, we have many very tiny roundabouts that create a similar situation.

Still, overall the article gets 10 out of 10 - thank you for sharing!

My New Autobot G172 DOT,SNELL,BEll, OHHELL Lid just cam ein I am ready for a new 2018

TransformersAR01_Website.jpg

Not that impressed with the 2018's.  Just more autobot looks and widgets.  Not being negative but it is the same bike a little priceier good improvments for sure, but I would had liked to seen a far more aggressive change in the chassi such as rake, and it would not hurt to offer a FZ in some pretty awesome suspenders.  Slap some ohlins on, pipe and bam ya got a limited edition

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived