Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
r1limited

1965 CT200 Trail 90

r1limited

Welp, I started the 90 rebuild and restore.  Nothing like spendng a 38 degree day in the garage scrubbing case oxidation and 50 years of use off the motor.  I find that the stinking gasket set I got off ebay is marked CT200 but is for the CT105 55cc.  At least the seals are the same somewhat.  Stopped me from buttoning up the bottom end.  Still looking for a 1 over piston kit as the bore is in need to a new face.

I have not decided if I want to fully restore the frame or leave it a little battered.  It is in great shape, Rust is clean able all things straight original but faded stickers.  My thoughts are to clean the frame and clear coat it to maintain that weathered look.

Test.jpg

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

r1limited

Coming along slowly, decided to keep the dings and style of a used 50 year old bike

20180303_151201.jpg

• Like 2

mjh937
27 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Coming along slowly,

That bike is going to do everything slowly :)   It looks like a fun project.  

• Like 1

wrxer

Keep the updates coming....I would keep it original if it that nice too.  They are only original once.

• Like 1

Beemer

Looks nice! Love the yellow!

shinyribs
15 hours ago, r1limited said:

Coming along slowly, decided to keep the dings and style of a used 50 year old bike

20180303_151201.jpg

That's just cool, man. That lil mudflap and brake pedal puts a smile on your face. :) What goes in the box behind the steering neck?

r1limited
4 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

What goes in the box behind the steering neck?

That is the Airbox.  Notice the sprocket, well that is the secondary and the extra links are in the swingarm in a compartment just ahead of the rear foot pegs.  Later years I believe 67 they came with a Hi/Lo switch near the right heal.  Going to show it at Annual Snohomish Bike show in April

gregjet

A ton of stuff available in SE Asia for them, including overbore kits. Very common bike. As far as I know hardly ant changes for decades so much part interchange.

The forks look more like a pre-postie bike ( they changed to ordinary slider forks) , so it should have a plastic leg fairing as far as I know, rather than the main frame piece cover. I also thought they ONLY came in red?

norcal616

TBolt USA was my go to source for little pitbike motor parts

also OOracing outta UK (some items cannot be sold to US) - they had the best selection I know at the time a few years ago

• Like 1

Cruizin

Those little Trail 90's are great to have. Easy to ride offroad slow and easy. They pack up easy, anyone can ride em. 

• Like 1

r1limited
On 3/4/2018 at 11:57 AM, gregjet said:

A ton of stuff available in SE Asia for them, including overbore kits. Very common bike. As far as I know hardly ant changes for decades so much part interchange.

The forks look more like a pre-postie bike ( they changed to ordinary slider forks) , so it should have a plastic leg fairing as far as I know, rather than the main frame piece cover. I also thought they ONLY came in red?

Red and yeller, this is a 64, if I am not mistaken 1st year sold in the USA.  Older push rod cast iron head model until 68 then the more modern overhead cam design came. 

gregjet

Wow. That is a rare one.

That motor and it's derivitives were used in things like motormowers for decades. Great find!

I was a postie in 1973 /4 for a while and we had the later OHC motors ( the bikes weren't new). The things did hundreds of thousands of kms almost completely reliably...full loaded. I wonder if the earlier ones were as well made?

• Like 1

gregjet

How's this project proceeding?

r1limited

Have the motor in, I am buttoning up the electrical and need to make a new battery housing this weekend.

gregjet

Perfect bike for a LiFePO4?