The MT-07 Forum

I hate them with a vengeance

faffi

Quick release helmet locks, that is. Other than being able to fasten them slightly quicker than DD rings, I see no benefits, but a lot of downsides.

1. The bulky lock always seems to push uncomfortably against my neck. This was much worse when I had an 18 in neck, but even my current 16 in pencil neck gets in the way.

2. Other than the ratchet system used on a few, they never seem to retain their adjustment and are next to impossible to tighten once locked. So they tend to be slack.

3. The ratchets cannot be infinitely adjusted and usually end up too tight or too slack.

4. The quick-locks often is a serious PITA to open. Especially of the strap is properly tightened. I actually had to cut off a strap and throw away a helmet because none of us managed to get the lock to release.

5. I do not trust that the plastic lock will hold up after a couple of years of wear.

Not being able to perfectly adjust the strap depending on the conditions (scarf/no scarf etc) is for me the worst of these points, but also the problem of getting the lock to release have been PITA on the cheap AGV I'm currently using. So today I cut off the quick-release  lock and moved over the D-rings from my recently crashed helmet. Ahhhh, so nice! I'm getting a new Shark, but will continue to use the cheap AGV to and fro work - 2 miles of 30 mph or less - since it's a rough life for a helmet with lots of on/off and stuff in the hair for modeling. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I've never tried a quick release helmet lock, but from your experience, they don't sound like much fun.  I always say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"--the D rings work just fine thanks.  

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I use super tape

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I don't like them only for the fact that I can't use a helmet lock or holder that needs a D ring to work.

2 hours ago, yamahazaki said:

I don't like them only for the fact that I can't use a helmet lock or holder that needs a D ring to work.

I love quick releases, but I can certainly see why some people wouldn't. 

I was planning to drill a hole in the end of my helmet strap so I could use it in a helmet lock, but then I bought an FZ so that's a moot point 😢

Archived