The MT-07 Forum

Ceramic Composite Plated Cylinders Lifespan?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Yamaha describes the FZ-07 cylinders this way:

Direct ceramic composite plated cylinder uses "liner less" bores.

ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight

excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery

coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power

I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to the longevity of this type of cylinder configuration?  Are they better, worse, or just different than steel lined cylinders?

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Plated cylinders have been going on for DECADES & in the cycle industry is even the norm.  There are no longevity issues.  The hard plating last longer.

I had a TDM 900 with this lining. The bikes never use oil (if that is a good guide). Experience in it's forum is the same for everyone and the bike started life in 2002. 

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

Ceramic last just as long steel...Biggest difference is steel liner can be bored bigger to fix damage very easily..?

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I once had a cerimic pipe, smoked real good

Oh wait, never mind

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, faffi said:

With normal use the bores should last a million miles or more. Don't know about you, but I will not ride that far on my 07 1f601.png

SLACKER! 🏍️ 😜

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:55 AM, faffi said:

With normal use the bores should last a million miles or more. Don't know about you, but I will not ride that far on my 07 😁

Another FZ-07 Forum helpful hint: Some martial artists jam their fingers into hot sand to toughen them up. Try that with your butt, toughen that sucker up! 😆

Beemer

Archived