The MT-07 Forum

Security/Alarms/GPS

vi5a

Not everyone of us have garages to shelter our toys from thieving hands. Parking in urban areas when out and about can be extremely nerve racking. Although, insurance may cover theft, none of us want to be violated in such a way.

So what is everyone doing for security?

I'd like to share with all of you a system that has worked extremely well for me on my other bike and have just ordered another system for the FZ-07. Although, it's a tad on the expensive side and requires an $11 monthly fee, that peace of mind I get is well worth it.

What I'm talking about is the GPS tracking and alarm system from Scorpio called the "Ride". It's got all the standard features of a conventional alarm system. Tilt sensor, shock sensor, perimeter sensor, loud siren, blah blah blah. But the feature that got me to purchase this was that it sends you alerts when any of those sensors on your bike gets triggered directly to your phone via text messaging.

When you live in a "not so good" city and theft is likely to occur, some type of security is necessary. I've even got the Kryptonite New Yorker lock and chain for when I'm parked at work. Maybe I security to the extreme but I've been violated plenty of times in the past to know thieves are out there and some of them very good at what they do.

Just sharing my thoughts and opinions. Ride safe everyone!

Looks like you have the best that is out there to protect your motorcycle. Hope your insurance company is giving you a price break from having that system.
I am going to make a list of what I think is a minimum security to a maximum to protect your bike.
Park it somewhere busy of traffic and well lighted.
Cover it.
Chain it to something hard mounted.
Install an alarm system.
Alarm system that pages you.
Inside a garage or shed.
Armed guard standing by the bike.
C4 attached to the bike.
And finally, if everything fails, sell the bike.

Sounds like a good system, but how does it get wired and where is the control box stored. Are the wires hidden in with the factory ones so a thief cant just cut the wires? A system like this is all about the install.

In real life, I sell, design and install electronic security, Vaults and safes for banks and government entities.

1. The Scorpio system is pretty good stuff. I would feel comfortable selling it to my customers who ride.

2. Within three years, this option will be unbeatable because there are no monthly fees and the more people who install the hubs, the longer the range will be. I predict the range will be close to nationwide within 3 years.

3. If the burglar is a pro, I mean a real pro, the bike will be gone and you will never find it. You wouldn't believe how incredibly smart some of these people are.

4. For those of you who may be getting a home alrm system, note this update. Phone line alarm communication cannot be primary means of alarm communication because thieves are simply cutting the wires in your Grey dmark box located on the exterior of your home, turning your alarm into a simple noise maker.

5. Another note. Cellular alarm radios also cannot be primary means of alarm communication because cell signal blockers are easy to make now, and many upper level thieves are carrying these and simply shutting down entire blocks at a time because most "door knocking" alarm companies are skimping and installing these. What to do? Choose two methods of communication from your alarm company.

If your internet is non DSL, then have the alrm run net primary/cell backup. If your alarm company cannot provide net monitoring then ask them to install a DMP system. If they cannot get
DMP equipment, call another alarm company.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Our bikes are in the garage when not being ridden. If I take my 07 somewhere and park it, it's never out of my sight. If I need to leave a bike somewhere (like downtown) I take my Shadow. So I guess my security system is me.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Mine lives in a garage at home and gets parked inside at work. At the very least however, I will be getting a caliper lock for those short "in-the-city" trips.

• 4 months later...

I live in apartments with no garages so what I do is park the bike in front of my minivan, and lock up rear bike wheel to right front wheel of the van, and front bike wheel to the left front wheel of the van with a separate 18mm anchor chain for each wheel. I also keep the bike covered. If the minivan is not home, then I park by neighbors downstairs and lock up the bike to the concrete stairs. Haven't found a need for an alarm. Thinking about a gps locator for the bike, just in case.

Archived