The MT-07 Forum

Rear Shock Install?

timresin

Just bought a K-Tech Razor R Lite after a good amount of research.  So i have done a good amount of mods to my bike myself.  Exhaust, Power commander and a good amount of wiring.  Should I be able to do the shock myself? The ktech manual was saying you had to have a motorcycle mechanic do it.

• Premium Member

if You've done exhaust etc... you shouldn't have issues doing the rear shock. See below for two forum members who've installed a different brand of shock but the steps will be basically the same:

and the same rear shock installed by me:

After reading the details of the above installs, you can determine for yourself if it's something you're capable of. Good luck!

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Changing the rear shock is mechanically simple to do, just a couple of bolts, the issue is that you have to support the bike so that there is no weight on the rear wheel. If you have a center stand on your bike it's easy, as the FZ doesn't you have to find a way to support the bike that does NOT involve the swingarm or wheel. This is the most difficult part, so if you don't have a means to support the bike from under the engine and keep the bike stable (you don't want it falling over and damaging anything) then get someone else to do it. I had a clamp for the front wheel that supports the bike (very stable) and then put a block of wood under the engine (as far back as I could get it) and a trolley jack and just lifted the bike up until the rear wheel left the ground, after that it was easy to change out the shock and put a new one in.

Gary

I used carefully positioned jack stands and lowered the bike from a rear stand onto them which unloaded the swingarm. Really easy job.  The worst part for me was the plastic clips for the tire hugger fender thingy.

• Premium Member

A bar through the passenger peg area and two jack stands is one way to do it.

0828161519a.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Or use foot pegs if you have aftermarket fixed pegs.  Rubber hose was used to protect the pegs.

0806161102.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Now try changing one on a Super Tenere ES!! With all the pumps and reservoirs it's a real nightmare!! One of the great things about a simple FZ07!

Congrats on getting it done, now tell us if you can tell any difference with the new shock?

Gary

On 11/3/2017 at 9:46 AM, blackout said:

A bar through the passenger peg area and two jack stands is one way to do it.

0828161519a.jpg

I did the exact same thing when installing my Penske. Only I had an engine hoist I utilized to lift the whole rear of the bike. Made things so much easier.

• 7 months later...

Archived