The MT-07 Forum

Crashed My Baby. *Pics inside*

Dustin Coffey

Dustin Coffey

Well, the horrid day has arrived that my 2017 FZ-07 has been damaged, and will need some new parts before she is ready to ride again. The wreck happened in 5 minutes from the house, and after I picked it up and moved it out of the road it started so I very slowly rode it home fun stuff with how the right side of the handlebar is messed up. 

Pictures of the Damage are in the spoiler. Nothing too bad to be honest the worst of it is the Werkes Can, and the Front Wheel. 

silT9mI.jpgPr7SWpF.jpgs0zkhiQ.jpgwnVxHha.jpgow62ECn.jpgSx4HMJR.jpgwvkWq8P.jpgvqv6sFJ.jpgzq8pGo3.jpgVo8svYr.jpgA37JogW.jpg

• Premium Member

I'm going to guess you're OK? That's what's most important.

From the pictures I can only guess the kind of accident you had but it appears you ended up off the pavement?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Dustin Coffey
12 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm going to guess you're OK? That's what's most important.

From the pictures I can only guess the kind of accident you had but it appears you ended up off the pavement?

The bike went towards the right side of the road and hit the curb *wheel damage*, and then a nice soft patch of dirt/grass. 

11 minutes ago, Yury Lo said:

glad you're okay enough to post photos of it. 

what happened

My own stupidity, a puddle of anti-freeze from where someone parks their car *I thought it was a water puddle and the wrong type of glove for the throttle hand. The non-motorcycle riding glove I was wearing for the cold morning had too much excess material in the palm.  It didn't let go of the rubber on the throttle when I wanted to. Be proactive with the rear brake kids!                                                                                                                                                                                                        

I'm fine little road rash on the ankle where my boot didn't hold up well to the weight of the bike on leg plus the asphalt. I had an x-ray done just to make sure the swelling wasn't a symptom of a fracture/crack. 

3 minutes ago, Dustin Coffey said:

The bike went towards the right side of the road and hit the curb *wheel damage*, and then a nice soft patch of dirt/grass. 

My own stupidity, a puddle of anti-freeze from where someone parks their car *I thought it was a water puddle and the wrong type of glove for the throttle hand. The non-motorcycle riding glove I was wearing for the cold morning had too much excess material in the palm.  It didn't let go of the rubber on the throttle when I wanted to. Be proactive with the rear brake kids!                                                                                                                                                                                                    I'm fine little road rash on the ankle where my boot didn't hold up well to the weight of the bike on leg plus the asphalt. I had an x-ray done just to make sure the swelling wasn't a symptom of a fracture/crack. 

I live in NYC , today I put on my bulkier winter gloves to get to work and the whole ride I was thinking how the bulk can really be troublesome.

Glad you're good though . Damn antifreeze😠

Dustin Coffey
2 minutes ago, Yury Lo said:

I live in NYC , today I put on my bulkier winter gloves to get to work and the whole ride I was thinking how the bulk can really be troublesome.

Glad you're good though . Damn antifreeze😠

For sure they can be. I know how slippery the stuff is because I've spilled it all over my concrete shop before and it was like a slip and slide. I was just in my comfort zone imbued with automaticity so I didn't put 2 & 2 together with the location of the puddle.  

Nothing Money Can't Fix 😑

• Global Moderator
jeffkisthename

Glad you're alright.  On a positive note.  More mods...haha

SigSide.jpg

Glad to see you're alright. If you haven't named your bike yet, "Puddles", would be a cool name. 😃 A laugh to pick up the spirits a bit but hey, very few names for bikes actually have any meaning. (sorry about your accident, it looks expensive!)

Beemer

Dustin Coffey
23 hours ago, Beemer said:

Glad to see you're alright. If you haven't named your bike yet, "Puddles", would be a cool name. 😃 A laugh to pick up the spirits a bit but hey, very few names for bikes actually have any meaning. (sorry about your accident, it looks expensive!)

Her name is Heidi, and not too bad. My total estimated cost to fix everything if the forks are fine which I think they are is going to be about 750.

3 minutes ago, Dustin Coffey said:

Her name is Heidi, and not too bad. My total estimated cost to fix everything if the forks are fine which I think they are is going to be about 750.

You got off lightly, the damage looks are deceiving.

Beemer

Dustin Coffey
On 11/3/2017 at 9:57 AM, Beemer said:

You got off lightly, the damage looks are deceiving.

I agree, and time for an update. I'm taking the front wheel off tomorrow to have it sent to a reputable high-speed shop that does repairs.

On that subject does anyone have a good way to hold the bike up with the front wheel off ?

Do spools and a front stand still work with no wheel ?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Dustin Coffey said:

I agree, and time for an update. I'm taking the front wheel off tomorrow to have it sent to a reputable high-speed shop that does repairs.

On that subject does anyone have a good way to hold the bike up with the front wheel off ?

Without the support of the front axle bolt I don't know how much I'd trust a front paddock stand. The forks get a bit flexy without the front axle bracing.

I suggest a triple-tree stand instead which will better support the front end. The Venom brand paddock stands I have offers Head/triple tree accessory to convert it. I found it invaluable when doing my fork upgrades. Best of luck to you.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 months later...
Dustin Coffey

My left fork is fine and and dandy.

The right one not so much ........

IMG_2260.thumb.jpg.8bfe7e1b91ff175d6deed669f8838a42.jpg

I was getting the bike all put back so I took it for a test ride, everything was fine. I took it to school and work. That is when I noticed that the tire alignment with the front fender was totally out of whack. So I pulled both the forks and the right one is trash.

• Global Moderator

That does not look good.  Did the frame survive?  It seems that an impact bad enough to bend the fork might have tweaked the frame too. 

Dustin Coffey
50 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

That does not look good.  Did the frame survive?  It seems that an impact bad enough to bend the fork might have tweaked the frame too. 

You know I've inspected it as well as I can and I don't see any obvious frame damage. Even with the fork being bent the bike rode nicely.

10 hours ago, Dustin Coffey said:

You know I've inspected it as well as I can and I don't see any obvious frame damage. Even with the fork being bent the bike rode nicely.

Did you look for cracked paint?

Beemer

Those tubes are so damn thin that they bend easy. I bent one of mine in a fall at less than 5 MPH.

Sometimes saving weight is a disadvantage.

• Premium Member
On 11/7/2017 at 8:56 AM, Dustin Coffey said:

How did you go about getting the wheel off and forks? Did you splurge on a triple tree stand?

I also bent one of my forks in a ~35 mph low side. They are rather weak, it seems. Just went down again in a similar fashion on Monday and I hadn't thought to check the forks yet... fingers crossed.

Dustin Coffey
12 hours ago, faffi said:

You can straighten the stanchion in an hydraulic press - I've straightened much worse.

I ordered a new one already. I was unaware you could straighten them. Thats good information. 

6 hours ago, Beemer said:

Did you look for cracked paint?

I did, and I looked for any separation or distress in the welds. 

4 hours ago, fzar said:

How did you go about getting the wheel off and forks? Did you splurge on a triple tree stand?

Yeah, I ordered a combo Venom stand set. They are super handy and so far for the price have been very stable. 

4 hours ago, ddog said:

I also bent one of my forks in a ~35 mph low side. They are rather weak, it seems. Just went down again in a similar fashion on Monday and I hadn't thought to check the forks yet... fingers crossed.

You seem to have bad luck. Hopefully, yours aren't bent. 

Archived