The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 Daily Commute Build

heartofperformance

heartofperformance

Hello everyone,

My name is Az, from Malaysia, have just got my bike earlier this month used, show-room condition, with less than 700 miles on the odometer. 
Currently all stock(only removed the yellow light reflector thingy on the front fork lol), running on RON 95.

On a bone stock FZ-07, there is a noticeable torque deep between 4100-5000 RPM range. 

I am using my bike exclusively to commute to work everyday, 5 days a week, a 100 miles commute round trip, 80% freeway and 20% on the city traffic.
Mostly keeping between 60-75 MPH top speed ONLY. Have never exceed 6K RPM(a hyper-miler at heart) >.<

So my main concern is to boost low-mid range power, while also eliminating the torque deep as mentioned earlier. Absolute top-end horsepower is not a concern(never been there anyway).

What would be the best mod for that?

I am sorry if this question have already been answered previously/on other thread.

Thank you very much in advance cheers!

p/s: I am borrowing Hordboy dyno-graph from his website. Very good torque increase there compared to stock, really would like to know the exact setup(Hord_015.drf solution 1 run): https://www.hordpower.com/gallery3/index.php/Dyno-Charts/Yamaha-FZ-07/FZ-07airtest4
Legend:

Hord_004.drf (Bone stock)
Hord_015.drf (Solution 1)

Hord_029.drf (Solution 2)

FZ-07airtest4.jpg

Solution 1 was basically removing the entire airbox. You can replicate this by removing the airbox and fitting filters direct to the throttle bodies but you'll need to adjust the fuelling to suit it.

• Premium Member

Hordpower solution does not have any lower rpm losses but boosts midrange and up... will need a PCV to run the airbox...

solution 1 test I believe was a test to show what happens if the intake runner is too short...

solution 2 has been refined since these dyno graphs have been posted 😀

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

heartofperformance
22 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Solution 1 was basically removing the entire airbox. You can replicate this by removing the airbox and fitting filters direct to the throttle bodies but you'll need to adjust the fuelling to suit it.

Wow very nice!

I know dyno-tuning is a must to get a healthy engine with an optimized AFR fueling map after any major modification to the air entake/exhaust system.

So meaning to say, Solution 2 is the same setup but with the addition of the velocity stack instead of mounting the filter pod directly to the TB yes?

heartofperformance
5 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Hordpower solution does not have any lower rpm losses but boosts midrange and up... will need a PCV to run the airbox...

solution 1 test I believe was a test to show what happens if the intake runner is too short...

solution 2 has been refined since these dyno graphs have been posted 😀

Indeed!

I am aiming for the best torque/HP gain below 6k RPM.

Hordpower's solution 1 gave a monster(best gain) below 7.5k RPM, which seems to be what is best suited to my riding style, short-shifting and freeway cruising at around 60-80Mph 😀🙏

• 2 weeks later...

(a hyper-miler at heart)....

Me to until there's a mutiny and my right hand refuses to obey my brain. Had a 2003 Honda Insight for ten years and 140,000mi. That car taught me the fun in hyper-miling (can mile be a verb?) and my average for the whole time I owned it was 70mpg! The FZ-07 has more hp than the Insight hence the disobedience from the right wrist.

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

heartofperformance
On 11/9/2017 at 12:09 AM, slideways said:

(a hyper-miler at heart)....

Me to until there's a mutiny and my right hand refuses to obey my brain. Had a 2003 Honda Insight for ten years and 140,000mi. That car taught me the fun in hyper-miling (can mile be a verb?) and my average for the whole time I owned it was 70mpg! The FZ-07 has more hp than the Insight hence the disobedience from the right wrist.

Wow my 1.5liter 2008 Toyota Vios had only done around 90,000mi 😂

And the best I ever got was somewhere around 38 US Mpg, and that is all freeway interstate drive.

By the way, is that 70mpg US or UK gallon?

And do you still ride your FZ like the Insight? 😋

I H8T hyperdimwankers, ya think your the only one in the freaking roads and are bloody clueless at the jams you cause behind you because your special, ya special kind of idiot.

I H8T em with a passion, wish I could scud missile each and everyone of em .

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• 2 weeks later...

Dear r1limited,

Haters will hate and express their view based on insufficient information and a misplaced sense of entitlement. I never wanted to be that guy camped out in fast lane at 55mph. I was the guy in the slow lane following a truck or at a minimum moving at the  pace of traffic in my lane. I always watched for lane splitters and moved to give them some extra room. My goal was to be a hypermiler without being apparent about it. On the moto the camper in the fast lane just isn't a big deal because the moto can get around them and be on its way without being impeded in any real way. So do I hate that idiot rolling slow and screwing up all the cagers? Nope, I just go around. Life is too short to spend my time pissed about things I have no control over nor can ever change.

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

• 3 weeks later...

So you dont care if your at a stop light with 20 people behind you and your that guy who lest only 5 go because you do 0 to 60 in 2 hours?, See to me that as is inconsiderate and devoid of relaty as it comes

I applaud you for sitting in the slow lane, if your doing 55 and that is the speed limit good on you, if you are there and the limit is 60 or 70 again that as is inconsiderate and devoid of relaty as it comes.  It is not a question in my mind about nothing more than pissed of cagers in trafic and someone decides to simply live in a bubble all there own.  Not saying this is you, I am saying my experiance has been with pin hads behind the wheel that actually have no capability or eve should be behind awheel.  The law says they passed a test so ok they get a license, but these types are dangerous to themselves and to others.  Hypermilers included IN MY EXPERIANCE.  I do appreciate your explanation though.

On 11/18/2017 at 9:34 PM, slideways said:

Dear r1limited,

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

heartofperformance

Just a bit of an update, the speed of limit of our interstate freeway here is around 68.3508 mph (read 110 km/h), and by being a hyper-miler, on my case, what I did is to always follow the national speed limit, 55.9234 mph on normal road, 68 on the freeway. 

Been a month, and based on my manually calculated fuel mileage, I have got an average of 65-69 US mpg :D
Filling up till the brim of the gas cap, only around after 185 miles that the f-trip would start blinking. 

Really happy with this bike, sipping gas like a 250 starter bike <3

As bizarre as it may sound, my fuel economy got BETTER when I reflashed to RICHER than stock and got rid of the fuel shutoff. Fuel usage is NOT as simple as throttle openings.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

BTW reflashing my Subaru, my Prado and my Holden Rodeo diesel for performance , ALL got better fuel economy after with average richer mixtures. I measure my fuel economy to 3 significant figures every fill so I tend to notice.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Grip it & Rip it
On 12/8/2017 at 1:10 AM, gregjet said:

As bizarre as it may sound, my fuel economy got BETTER when I reflashed to RICHER than stock and got rid of the fuel shutoff. Fuel usage is NOT as simple as throttle openings.

I don't doubt you, but I seem to recall reading on here that some people were getting decreased fuel economy after their exhaust+reflash, maybe in a 2W2D thread? Could have been attributed to giving the beans more due to the better exhaust note...

Archived