The MT-07 Forum

Some handlebar advice?

digitalsteve

Just looking for a bit of advice, as I don't have the option of trying before buying.

I'm somewhat unhappy with the stock handlebar set up; it's fine if you're sitting back and upright, but when it comes to twisties I feel cramped up... like a greyhound f@#king a tennis ball. I feel like my torso needs to be leaning forward more, especially whilst cornering.

I've been looking at lots of different options and the popular ones seem to be the Renthal Ultra Lows, Pro Taper SE and Woodcraft Clip-ons. I really don't want to have to buy like three sets of bars to work shet out.

Just a couple of things:

I don't really want to put rearsets on; when I ride in a more forward position, I ride on the balls of my feet anyway.

I'm wondering just how much of a position change the clip-ons would be.... I don't want to be trying to make the 07 into a supersport, but I would like to be lower and more aggressive without sacrificing comfort. If I went for the 1.5" rise, would this be a good middle ground?

Any help appreciated.

I know this sounds off topic, but bear with me for a bit so I can attempt to make sense. 

I'm 6'3" and the stock bars were too low. I never cared for the narrowness and the extreme pullback on them either. The stock bars look like bars from a childs ATV. I put a simple pair of bar riser on that I had laying around and it helped a lot, but I know taller bars is not what you are looking for. But I do have a point...

The taller bar height  helped me be more comfortable, but it still felt all wrong, especially when trying to ride hard like you mentioned. I had an old pair of super bike bars laying around that I stuck on over the weekend. They were shorter in height than stock, but they had less pullback and are about 3" wider overall ( maybe even wider). I kept the risers in place so, even with the shorter bars now, I'm basically stock stock bar height, but the wider bars helps me get lower since my hands aren't bunched together in front of me. Much easier to turn smoothly wider bars and narrow bars tend to make you twitch the forks more than you think you are. 

Rambling, I know, but the point is...you may try a wider bar and/or less pull back, before you try a short/low bar. Very low bars are typically very uncomfortable without rearsets and you end up putting too much pressure on the bars/ your wrists since you are having to lean over so far. 1.5" of rise is gonna be a huge difference from stock. I think stock is almost 5" of rise.

Any local bike shop should have a standard set of steel Super Bike bars on the wall for $20-25. "Super Bike" is a common style of universal bar. Pretty much every bar manufacturer sells that model. 

I have a bar that may suit your needs, or you can try, I am not sure where you are located, if you pay for shipping I will send them to you, they are EMGO tracker bars, chrome 7/8s the bend and rise is what you may like.  I can get the specs on them and post, think about it.  The style is more Dirt Track with a lower rise than what I like.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

The Rizoma MA011 Bars might be the answer for you - Lower and more forward to weight the front end and give you more "reach room".   You'd have to go to risers for the fatbars, too.

If you're decent with tools and doing the install, we'd be interested in your impressions and would be happy to do a reabate/discount on a set in exchange for a review/feedback.

They're listed here:

The Woodies definitely put a fair bit more weight on your hands. I am pretty much going back to the Renthal UL's when /if I finally get the chance to do some work on the 07 and get to ride it.

The UL's have the advantage that they reduce the vibration ( as small as it is) as they have an absorber down the middle. The woodies are also VERY heavy.

The protapers will allow you to ride motard style a bit easier, if that's your preferred thing. You will have to consciously push down on them a bit more though. I think the Pros also have a big centre so need a different set of clamps or a piggyback set. Both will change the bar position overall. The new aftermarket ones will move the bars forward piggyback ones will move the bars back.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

God... I love this forum. So helpful and generous!
@r1limited - thanks so much for the offer mate, but I'm in Australia; I reckon the shipping wouldn't be worth it! ;)

@pjfz1 - cheers for the info and offer mate. I will give them some thought.

@gregjet - good info re: the Pro Tapers; muscling the bike more isn't really what I'm after. It is sounding more and more likely that Renthal UL's are the way to go. If I needed more adjustment, then I could get the Gilles Tooling adjustable risers as well.

BTW DS,

I just remembered I found a set of ALLOY flat/drag bars in Aus that were way cheaper than any overseas offerings. I can't for the life of me remember the vendor but I bought TWO sets for my GS500F project bike. They were THE lightest bars I found for it. On the 07 the hand position would be a little higher and flatter than the woodies, and being thickish alloy would be somewhat vibration absorbing. I think they came from a Melbourne cafe racer shop ( obviously NOT Deus ex cause they weren't overpriced). Might have been 3rd Gear or someone like that. Not sure of the City though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Beemer said:

There is also the option to save your money and learn to let the bike lean while you stay upright. 1f609.png

Except I find this uncomfortable as f@#k with the stock setup. 

Winter is coming, set up a bunch of pillws and blankets and learn to leabn with your knees out like a dumbo elephant

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

11 hours ago, digitalsteve said:

Except I find this uncomfortable as f@#k with the stock setup. 

I suppose some will, nothing pleases everyone, not even bacon. Maybe higher, wider handlebars would help???

Beemer

On 11/15/2017 at 2:28 AM, Beemer said:

There is also the option to save your money and learn to let the bike lean while you stay upright. 😉

I finally get you now.... I did the whole "stay upright, push on bars" method and it works fine. Not sure how far I can get the bike over with it and it feels very weird, but at least you've saved me on a set of handlebars.

Archived