The MT-07 Forum

blipping and braking at the same time

phanomenal07

anyone have any advice that would help me maintain pressure on the front and blip the throttle at the same time when im down shifting. i seem to be incapable of doing this. i have to release the front brake to rev match on every down shift and i know thats wrong.i tried using 2 fingers on the brake and i can brake fine but still cant blip. thanks

• Premium Member

Use the rear brake...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The only reason you wnat to maintain any constant front brake is to load the suspension it is called trail braking and takes skill to understand and use properly, as there are various reasons to do this, blipping the throttle is not one of them.  But to answer your question givin I am not privy to the riding condition you are asking about, I always keep one finger on the front brake.  I have the lever adjusted to best fit my riding grip and position.  You should be able after time and practice to make this simple muscle memory.  If you are concentrating to much on one particular you are not paying attention to other things.  Practice in parking lots clear of cars (Park N Rides) on weekends.  There is no right or wrong answer here, as your question really is about your personal riding style and incorporating skill sets to that style/

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 hour ago, r1limited said:

The only reason you wnat to maintain any constant front brake is to load the suspension it is called trail braking and takes skill to understand and use properly, as there are various reasons to do this, blipping the throttle is not one of them.  But to answer your question givin I am not privy to the riding condition you are asking about, I always keep one finger on the front brake.  I have the lever adjusted to best fit my riding grip and position.  You should be able after time and practice to make this simple muscle memory.  If you are concentrating to much on one particular you are not paying attention to other things.  Practice in parking lots clear of cars (Park N Rides) on weekends.  There is no right or wrong answer here, as your question really is about your personal riding style and incorporating skill sets to that style/

im really just trying to rev match and hold the break while im coming to a stop at a red light or something. right now i have to let go of the front break everytime i down shift a gear while coming to a stop. but i guess ill just keep practicing

24 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

im really just trying to rev match and hold the break while im coming to a stop at a red light or something. right now i have to let go of the front break everytime i down shift a gear while coming to a stop. but i guess ill just keep practicing

It is practice, try the one finger method, adjust your level to your locking it is easy to adjust.  You can do this in your garage standing still.  It is all about your hand learning to twist the grip with three fingers.  Dont ask how just practice and by the way, you should be wel into 1st gear by the time the bike is stopped.  Practice this in a open parking lot no cars, safe speed until your mind and fingers connect.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It's just practice... I do exactly what you're talking about; I use two fingers to brake and can still blip and downshift. I can do it using long or short levers, but I had to practice it first. Just do it carefully.

If you're coming to a predicted full stop, why not just hold in the clutch and keeping it in while downshifting to 1 and braking to full stop?

Half the reason for blipping was due to never having a gear indicator in the ye olden days.  Your bike has a gear indicator, if for some reason you don't come to a full stop, you know to put it into a corresponding gear for the speed and continue on.

Unless you are doing trackdays where you need to blip, theoretically you can ride your FZ07 everywhere without one blip at all because of your gear indicator. 

I only type this because I see a lot of riders blipping these days for no reason.  Like coming to a full stop at a redlight.  What is the reasoning to blipping down all the gears when coming to a stop?  Why not just hold in the clutch, brake, and downshift straight to 1 while you come to the stop.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

"Why not just hold in the clutch, brake, and downshift straight to 1 while you come to the stop."

The answer to that one is easy. If you have changed all the way down and the light changes to green and you are way over first gear speed , you will upset the bike balance substantially, even lock the rear if you still have stock ECU. You should match the revs to the speed you are going even on downshift for optimium control. It is a sequential gearbox so you can't just stick it back into the gear you want.

In a car you can just drop the gear stick into the unloaded position and if you need jam it into the correct gear if you get a green.  Doesn't work on a bike. PS this also doesn't work if your car has a sequential gearbox but most of us don't drive rally cars...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

This is a great example of how to blip and keep your braking pressure consistent. See how he is keeping his fingers curled around the lever, but also allowing them to slide with the motion of the blip? If you practice this make sure you bring any tools necessary to adjust the position of your controls. That may be part of your issue, and is especially likely if you have the lever adjusted too far away from you. The other issue might be that you blip the throttle too much. If you blip too much you will naturally move your fingers more. Try practicing getting the downshift smoothed out and with the least wrist action, you'll notice in the video that the riders wrist movement is not over exaggerated.

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

"Why not just hold in the clutch, brake, and downshift straight to 1 while you come to the stop."

The answer to that one is easy. If you have changed all the way down and the light changes to green and you are way over first gear speed , you will upset the bike balance substantially, even lock the rear if you still have stock ECU. You should match the revs to the speed you are going even on downshift for optimium control. It is a sequential gearbox so you can't just stick it back into the gear you want.

In a car you can just drop the gear stick into the unloaded position and if you need jam it into the correct gear if you get a green.  Doesn't work on a bike. PS this also doesn't work if your car has a sequential gearbox but most of us don't drive rally cars...

As previously stated, that would make sense for a bike without a gear indicator, but when you have a gear indicator... also your explanation makes sense for someone who has never ridden a bike, but for anyone who actually rides a bike, this is how it would go down:

Going 45mph, you see a redlight, you pull in the clutch, start braking, downshift to 3rd, 30mph, you downshift to 2nd, 15mph you downshift to 1st (all while holding in the clutch)....what's this?  The light turned green?  You upshift to 2nd, slip the clutch out, and you are on your merry way.  Gee that gear indicator sure is handy.  By no means did I mean you are going 45mph, you see a redlight, and you immediately drop down to 1st gear while you are pulling in the clutch while still going around 40mph.  No, that is something someone does when they have never ridden before and they are typing what they would do.  No one who rides would be doing something like that.  I give my fellow forum members the benefit of the doubt and type things like a sane human being.  You downshift with the corresponding speed drop.  Not all at once.

As I stated before, in the olden days, sure, no gear indicator... its necessary to blip to be in the right gear since you don't know what gear you are in.  This bike has a gear indicator.  You can shift to the correct gear of the correct speed as need be. 

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Premium Member
45 minutes ago, duenan said:

Going 45mph, you see a redlight, you pull in the clutch, start braking, downshift to 3rd, 30mph, you downshift to 2nd, 15mph you downshift to 1st

I do sometimes instead of blipping.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I find that blipping a stock fz is a bit tricky as there is a bit of a flat spot off idle which causes a lag in the blip, so I just let the rpms die down before downshifting--pretty boring stuff, I know, but it does work.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member

gotta love having a QuickShifter 😛

sadly only my FZ-07 only has QuickShifter for upshifts...only my FJ-09 has a true QuickShifter and AutoBlipper for downshifts, sighhhh 😞

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Isn't the whole point of blipping for engine braking?  I usually don't blip and brake between blips.  That's usually not how it goes for me.  Its more like, blip, blip, blip, then clutch in and brake.

And if time and distance is short, then no blipping at all, and go straight to clutch in and brake.

21 hours ago, ddog said:

See how he is keeping his fingers curled around the lever, but also allowing them to slide with the motion of the blip? If you practice this make sure you bring any tools necessary to adjust the position of your controls. 

I think this is the best answer to the question so far. Definitely going to give this technique a shot. 

As stated by R1, Greg, Steve, and Ddog.  Ride, practice, ride.  It will all become second nature, not thinking about it you will do it naturally per situation.

As for blipping you are rev matching really to prevent wheel lock up while slowing; while still being able to accelerate on demand. I.e. clutch isnt in, nor being slipped out.  Not absolutly neccesary, as mentioned you could slip the clutch out, though blipping allows that process to happen at a much quicker rate.

With that, it may be looked at as a track technique but it can be utilized on the street.

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, digitalsteve said:

Man... I'd love a QS with downshifting and an autoblipper.

😊 

Well after some more riding and practice I am getting better at it. I can do it but with light pressure on the brakes. I’m still kind of afraid that I might accidentally put to much pressure on the front brake while blipping and locking up the front wheel. I don’t know why but I just imagine it happening. But it’s making braking a lot smoother when I do it right.

Are you on a track as you're attempting this? If you're not racing there's no need to do it at all unless it's something you feel you need to learn for quicker decel/stops. I've tried doing that a few times after reading about it and I found that it's going to take some practice to be smooth and consistent with it so I simply stopped trying to do it. IMO it's just not necessary for normal, every day riding on the street unless your riding style imitates racing. (I don't track) If you do track then I can see where it would have it's advantages if done right. Careful you don't apply too much front brake at once and wash your front end out. 😬

Beemer

Kitten.gif

Archived