The MT-07 Forum

Chad Reed - Should he retire

r1limited

SX 2018 is forth comming, reed just underwent surgury on a broken angle, has no ride signed but announced he will be in a Husky FC450.  I like Reed, has the heart of a lyon, but many times the Lyon has no idea its time has come.  Matbe I am wrong, but in a young gun sport of SX it is hard to see Reed diminish and fade as it has been for more than a few seasons.  I think personally the end came some 4 years ago on his crash at Millville in 2011.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Funny you bring him up, as I always sorta felt bad for him. Chad would have been the next super legendary motocrosser if it weren't for a guy named Ricky Carmichael. Of course, it's that way with so many sports.

I was involved with AHRMA for about 10 years and went to my share of regional and national motocross races. At 35 years old, Chad is surely near the end of his most competitive years, but nowhere near the end of his racing career.

I was at a race about 10 years ago at Budd's Creek and had the pleasure of both meeting and watching Jim Pomeroy race - great guy BTW. This was an ARHMA National and of course he was racing Expert class. at around 50-51 years old. The motos were 4 lap, and he won his first race where he was doing big jumps, but you could tell he not seriously pushing it in the corners. Of course "pushing it" was relative as he was extremely fast but after the second moto it was exremely obvious that he wasn't "pushing it". Pomeroy crashed into another Bultaco rider in the 2nd corner on the first lap of the second race. He initially picked up the wrong bike, then got on the right bike. Obviously he was seriously behind the pack. That was when I saw some of the most unbelievable MX riding in my life, and I have been to a lot of Pro races. Remember that Budd's Creek is a natural Pro track on the National circuit, and has quite a reputation as a tough track. Pomeroy was passing multiple riders in the corners, up the hills and on the jumps. He ultimately finished 1-2 bike lengths behind the winner, and remember that this was a 4 lap race of experts. Oh yeah, he was on a 1974 Bultaco 250 Pursang with dinosaur suspension. Hell, I felt like I needed to smoke a camel after that race!

Obviously, my point is that Reed can be still competive, and although he may be more in the 5-10 place in finishing, what the heck, he's having fun - Plus he can be a great resource for the newer riders. As far as getting hurt, well Pomeroy in his later years of riding and especially in his prime, did more stuff that could have permanently injured or killed him, but he loved what he was doing. In the end he died from a car wreck where his jeep veered off the road and snagged a guywire for a pole, flipped and killed him. As long as Chad Reed is not a danger to other riders, and he is at least competitive enough to belong in those races, I saw party on Garth (Chad)!

For you younger folks on this site, check out this link on Pomeroy as he was a major legend in USA motocross history:

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?RacerID=85&lpos=-1025px&letter=P&txtFname=&rblFname=S&txtLname=&rblLname=S&discipline=0

Jim Pomeroy was the reason I raced and built Buls.  had them all the way to my 74 YZ250a, then the Astros got sold, and I started selling off all my bull parts.  Pomeroy is the Schizit Cool Story.

I agree, Reed is fast, he is having fun and I think that is the gist of his motivation over the past years.  He has stated he wants to retire when he wants to retire and more power to him if he continues.  The guy is good press no matter what he rides.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

It is often said that people should quit while on top to prevent "ruining" their image, but I think it is great that people carry on doing what they like, regardless of what the "public" says. More power to them in general and Reed in particular.

Lyon

lyon_skyline_getty.jpg

• Premium Member

He wont retire just yet, hes all about riding his dirt bike, just like Nick Wey who still shows up to the some of the big races and has potential to crack top 10.. there are still old school racers( the ones who raced a 2 stroke before the 4 strokes came along) ... 

I honestly believe if the AMA brought back 2strokes into the fold the sport as a whole will grow and we will see some talent rise and help reinvigorate the sport...and the AMA needs to stop turning the races into a big top circus with mile long rollers, one line racing, picture perfec tracks, them idiotic fireworks...let the racers race and let the racers craft the image of MX and SX... 

on the other hand, im really lucky to have RedBud MX in my backyard( okay its a 90min drive away) for thr 2018 MXON!!!!!! 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Chad should retire...He's well past his prime.... Of course he is a fan favorite but he just can't roll with the big dogs anymore.

Now Dungey should come out of retirement.... Dude retired to soon..

He is admittedly not in shape this off season & just hurt his ankle.  He will not be ready to do it as seriously as it now takes (never mind he does't even have a ride).  This after he was "ready" & "in shape" with factory support last year & look how that went.

9 hours ago, redline27 said:

Chad should retire..

Shouldn't that be up to the individual to decide? And, of course, the organizers in case a person is no longer fit enough and hence a risk from that perspective.

• Premium Member

Racers will race just for the love of the sport...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I imagine he's having fun and since he does have the heart of a lion he may still have a vision and hope of making it to the top which keeps him going. Have to admire him for that. I imagine that eventually, if he turns into a "lapper", his dream will die and he will give up racing then or maybe he will make a come back and make everyone eat their words like others have done in competitive sports. Doubtful but who knows?! GL to him.

He should retire?!! What about all the others that don't finish up front, should they stop racing, also?

Beemer

19 hours ago, redline27 said:

Chad should retire...He's well past his prime.... Of course he is a fan favorite but he just can't roll with the big dogs anymore.

Now Dungey should come out of retirement.... Dude retired to soon..

Dungey retired because he was spent.  Listening to his reasons, he realized he was not willing to put in that 110% as he was noted to do.  In My Opinion only for Dungey he made the right call. 

4 hours ago, Beemer said:

I imagine he's having fun and since he does have the heart of a lion he may still have a vision and hope of making it to the top which keeps him going. Have to admire him for that. I imagine that eventually, if he turns into a "lapper", his dream will die and he will give up racing then or maybe he will make a come back and make everyone eat their words like others have done in competitive sports. Doubtful but who knows?! GL to him.

He should retire?!! What about all the others that don't finish up front, should they stop racing, also?

Those guys are wusses

Archived