Sign in to follow this  
phanomenal07

Throttle freeplay

phanomenal07

Hey guy is throttle free play important and necessary? I was thinking about switching to the r6 throttle tube so I can get to full throttle easier but someone mention to me to just take out the throttle free play instead. The manual says the bike should have some freeplay. Would this hurt the bike at all?

guylee

The R6 throttle tube has different geometry so you're basically causing more RPM's with less movement of the throttle. Taking the free play out of the stock throttle just....takes out the free play. That's my understanding anyway. I would think taking out all the free play would be a recipe for a bad day. 

Edited by guylee

MThree

The first thing did to my fz was take out the throttle freeplay.  I couldn't stand that slight delay in the throttle response. Maybe my freeplay was too much,  at any rate the bike feels more responsive.

r1limited

Free play has zero to do with performance.  To much free play is annoying to little or non your asking for problems.  This has been discussed in another thread.  Free play must be adjusted as the bars are swung side to side/Lock to Lock and there must be at minimum 3/16th of an inch when bars are at full lock right and left.  Free play can be adjust to personal liking.  I have seen far to many people get this wrong make a turn and the bike accelerates and FUBAR happens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i28

You can minimize throttle freeplay down to almost zero. That's what I did. I think it's down to personal preference. 

Just be careful that you don't over do it. If you do then you'll either 1) turn the throttle and it'll stick and won't go back down to idle or 2) you'll turn the handlebars and it'll give it gas. Check for both when you adjust the throttle. 

...waiting for r1limited to correct me...  😉

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

gregjet

A sloppy throttle added to the stock fuelling sounds like my idea of hell...

• Like 1

norcal616

I put the stock throttle tube back on long ago, yea the R6 throttle tube was nice to use for accleration but it make the engine braking worse(at the time) due to the throttle bodies closing way faster than the stock throttle tube...

Cruizin

Our techtips section has tutorials on how to adjust throttle cable and also how to switch to a R6 tube. 

In fact our tech tips section has tutorials on how to do damn near anything on your fz-07. 

• Thanks 1