The MT-07 Forum

How to Winterize & Store your FZ 07 Motorcycle

Cruizin

I drug out my 30 gallon compressor and blew out the underground sprinklers last weekend. Taking the KTM to see how high the snow level is above Murphy, Idaho. Weather is supposed to be 65 F at 2,000 ft, one last weekend of warmth. It has been getting cold at night and I expect to be scraping my windshield some morning soon. 

It's time for us at elevation or northern locations to winterize our bikes, mowers, rv's and boats. And for some of us, time to finish getting our snow machines ready. 

Winterizing your Yamaha FZ-07 is mostly the same as any machine. Indoors, dry and out of the elements is optimal and preferred, don't tarp your bike outside. Small storage is cheap insurance.

A few simple steps are in order.

Clean. Ok, don't wait until frost/night ice to wash your bike. Clean it, do it well. Especially hit any spots that you will be upgrading or working on this winter. Remember decent scrub and rise underneath. Do your wheels or it will drive ya nuts all winter just looking at them. (35 years of doing this very thing more than once ) 😐

Fuel Tank. Some yahoo's will swear by draining the tank and air dry, then lining the entire inside of tank with oil. This would be very difficult to do correctly and a total waste of time. Instead, go grab a bottle of Sta-Bil Fuel conditioner here  or at the local Store.        Also go grab a simple clean & empty gas can. 

stabil 32 ounce.jpg

Sta-Bil with free shipping

Now, put fresh gas in gas can but remember how much you put in. Sta-Bil mixes at 1 ounce per 2.5 gallons of gas. If you put in 5 gallons of gas, pour in 2 ounces. Measurements are on the side of the Sta-bil bottle. Now pour into the tank this nicely mixed fuel concoction after mixing in the can. 

OPTIONAL* Fogging the Engine with right oil.  Not everyone does this. I do, so did my uncles and grandfather and everything they owned lasted damn near forever. I don't question it, I just do it. Now click and order or pay alot more local for a bottle of Fogging Oil. $4.99 here

This is where I need to come back and post a picture. Spray into your FZ07's open intake. Look for smoke to start coming from exhaust, let it do smoke while spraying for 8 seconds max. Wasn't that easy? 

fogging oil cheap.jpg

Optional Fogging Oil $4.99 keeps engine coated (especially important in humid states back east) 

Note. Crack open your favorite beverage at this point, your tank and engine are properly coated, no rust or condensation damage will occur this nasty winter. Not even during a "wicked" Noreaster

Ok, lets shore up the battery.

Remove the Battery. Put on Tender ( or set aside money for new battery in spring). Do not use one of those jackass cheap trickle chargers. They often overload your battery all winter, making it useless. Get yourself one of these https://www.revzilla.com/product/battery-tender-junior and it maintains your battery at optimum levels all winter. 

battery_tender_junior_6_volt_detail.jpg

Battery Tender plus at Revzilla

Chain. Lube your chain. You can adjust it now too if you want. You already have chain lube, right? 

Store your bike. Go drink a beer at stare at it under a blanket one in a while. Get some upgrades from our vendors and work on it once in a while.  Have your GF lean up against it and... Ok, you get the point. 

Spring will come again. 

Post your storage steps or questions below, I'm not claiming to be the expert adv due (we all know those) .

Scroll down and share this post on your favorite social media motorcycle group, look like a champ 😏

• Premium Member

I put wad of tin foil in the exhaust can exit and stuff a clean rag with sprayed down with WD-40 in the airbox inlet to keep critters from turning them into homes or silos of food... and I loosen up the throttle and clutch cables so they can " relax " after working hard all season 😀

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I dunk mine in a 100 gal oil tank like CP3O

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

Being one of the lucky people who gets to ride all winter, I put gas in it and adjust the chain to prepare it for winter.  😁

Great thread @Cruizin . I just came back from up north a couple weeks ago and it's very timely post full of good info.

I would also suggest putting the bike up on paddock stands, or center stand at minimum, so your tires don't develop flat spots while sitting idle all winter.

P.S. This forum is my favorite social media group. 🤗

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Depends on your area of the world.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Buy a rust inhibitor, I use Amsoil MP Metal Protector.  Spray on a cloth and wipe down all exposed nuts bolts untreated steal

I use Amsoil MP HD for the Chain

If long use use the Engine fogging oil Yes Amsoil ;) which will protect internal components especially if your bike is exposed to the eliments.

Stabul, Amsoil Stablize, Startron (I like) and good ol Sea Foam....

Lube the Cables

Put a battery tender on the bike

Cover it up

And weather permitting, nothing wrong with starting it up and letting it run until the fans kick on a couple of times

Well obviously, if you don't live anywhere that it snows, then yes, you can ride in the winter. 

This post is geared more for people who live in areas where it snows. We have to put our bikes away for a few months each year and it's important to stabilize the fuel, fill the tank with stabilized fuel and coat the engine with a layer of oil to fight off rust. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
On 10/27/2017 at 3:13 AM, norcal616 said:

I put wad of tin foil in the exhaust can exit and stuff a clean rag with sprayed down with WD-40 in the airbox inlet to keep critters from turning them into homes or silos of food... and I loosen up the throttle and clutch cables so they can " relax " after working hard all season 😀

Yup, critter proofing is a must--darned mice. :)

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

15 hours ago, r1limited said:

Depends on your area of the world.

I live in Philadelphia. We do get snow. I was just wondering would riding the bike about once a week save me headaches in the spring time

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, gregjet said:

What's Winter

Signed

A Queenslander

snow-angular_2477277k.jpg

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Is the bike exposed to the elements? how damp or insultated is the garage if the answer to 1 is no?

Cold weather moisture penetrates everywhere.  Keep a heated garage with circulating air can reduce this effect.  Either way starting your bike and allowig it get to a full temp (When the Fans Kick in) is good as it evaporates the moister that would build up at cold start.

Preparing your bike can be as anal as making sure your moisture / dry air is 45% or high ratio (I really forgot the numbers here) circulating air, heating to a min of 68 etc, but thats a big electric bill.  I have seen big vacum bags that you stuff your bike or car in and suck the aire out of it. 

To answer your question, yes it helps, but headachs no one can predict?  Just do diligence, follow the great suggestions already stated and you will be good

Bornagainbiker, Why is there styrofoam beads over everything.

Signed

Motorcyclist who lives in a place where the min ever recorded is 4degC (41degF)

Here is a picture of my house in the middle of winter:

170404 (6).JPG

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
4 hours ago, gregjet said:

Bornagainbiker, Why is there styrofoam beads over everything.

Signed

Motorcyclist who lives in a place where the min ever recorded is 4degC (41degF)

Here is a picture of my house in the middle of winter:

170404 (6).JPG

Even though we a used to a lot of snow in my area, it's still considered a four letter word.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

17 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I live in Philadelphia. We do get snow. I was just wondering would riding the bike about once a week save me headaches in the spring time

If its snowy roads, leave the bike inside. As long as you treated all da fuel, yer bike's fine. Fogging is easy, spray into the air intake.

4 hours ago, Cruizin said:

If its snowy roads, leave the bike inside. As long as you treated all da fuel, yer bike's fine. Fogging is easy, spray into the air intake.

Air intake is that thing in front of the battery right?

Yes

Archived