The MT-07 Forum

Best way to change wheel color

Braaapmode24

What's up everyone, I'm new to this forum. I've lurked around from time to time but I'm just now making an account. Anyways, I bought the night fluo color, and as much as I liked the color when I first bought the bike, keeping these rims clean is a pain in the ass. I also just think black rims would make the whole bike look better now. Have any of you done this? Buying replacements seems like a big investment, how well does plastidipping them work, or do I have any other options?

most powdercoating places charge about 50-75 per rim if you have the tools and space at home to take the wheels off yourself, that's probably the cheapest and best route.

If you go with powdercoating also consider the cost of new wheel bearings as part of the deal. You not supposed to really reuse bearings after you beat them out, and if you leave them in the oven will wreck them. 

Be proud of your flouro rims. They are beautiful and there's nothing wrong with a dirty bike now and again...it means it's being ridden!

😋

Not really, Post up a swap in the swap pae here, or other forums. Craigs list Offerup for starters ya never know..

I do not recommend spray painting them, I mena I have seen some pretty good spray can jobs, but it all needs to be done very anally and patience.

Ask a body shop what they would charge Vs a Powder Coat.

51cTS6Xyd5L._SX355_.jpg

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

+1 swap or get them powder coated. 

Plastidip won't last. Get some dirt or a rock chippin' it and it's over. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

A lot of wheels are getting a coating or paint that you can't paint over. The new stuff just won't stick unless you have to remove all the original stuff. I suspect the same sort of silicone  paints as they use on roofs. Not sure if the 07 has on the wheels but it does "feel" like it. I just did a set of mag wheels for the van that had it.

R1 has a point with motorcycle wheels. Car wheels are easy as you only really spray from one side. Motorcycle wheels you can see from all angles. Still it can be done. Virtually every motorcycle I raced I repainted the wheels and they came out well. It WAS a lot of work though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Everyone else gave you the alternatives for changing color so I'll just say this as an alternative to changing the color. I recall someone in the past saying they sprayed WD40 on a cloth and coated the rims with it. That way if anything got on them they washed off easily. If it's true that that works well you can still have your night nanner rims and be happy.

Edit: now that I think about it more, it seems like that's just more work.

• Like 1

Beemer

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'll try posting a swap deal on Craigslist, and if that doesn't go through I'll call a powder coating place near me and go from there.

5 hours ago, Beemer said:

Everyone else gave you the alternatives for changing color so I'll just say this as an alternative to changing the color. I recall someone in the past saying they sprayed WD40 on a cloth and coated the rims with it. That way if anything got on them they washed off easily. If it's true that that works well you can still have your night nanner rims and be happy.

Ya Know, I got to thikin

so-many-colors-of-duct-tape-kym-backland.jpg

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

18 hours ago, r1limited said:

Ya Know, I got to thikin

so-many-colors-of-duct-tape-kym-backland.jpg

lol! were you sleep walking when you were thikin"?

Beemer

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread.  If powder coating having to swap bearings is a given, but I'm assuming if going with paint it's not necessary since they wont be exposed to heat.  Does anyone have feedback?