The MT-07 Forum

Oh Dear God, Please do not let this happen

r1limited

After 2 minutes of research seems this thing has been in the works since before 2015 (announced as concept in '15).  Expected to be powered by the fz09 motor.

Initial reaction was that of R1's.  But ya know what, if it gets more bikes on the road then there would be more push for filtering(lane splitting/white lining) laws outside of CA.  Which I am ALL for.  

Though I would say if you need the extra wheel, you probably shouldn't be on a bike in the 1st place.....

Even if its fugly, too GD expensive, with ridiculous maintenance schedule and costs.

• Premium Member

What are these ppl taking for medications? Them pharmaceuticals are bad mmmm kay!!!!

Can't even comprehend how the chicken dinner winner is gonna handle the it when one the front tires becomes a flat foot...

YAMAHA WE KNOW YOU LURK IN THE SHADOWS OF THE FORUMS... if your reading this yamaha this will be the start of a slippery slope to going broke and end up making H.Dturds...

EDIT: I made an arse of myself not thinking about ppl with disabilities in which my coworker pointed out first after I showed the him the NIKEN(?) and looking into this little trike I really do wanna test drive one... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Yamaha did some research in their 'design cafe' on this project for us to comment, and much elsewhere presumably. They must have good reasons to put it out. The front end looks too bare to me. And it seems it needs a gyro (or other) to keep it upright when stationary; an extra patch of tyre may be good but I would not want to have to keep it from the dreaded drop myself. 

Just do it! 

firstyammerha

At last years Barber Festival, there was a custom leaning trike with a Triumph street triple engine in it. Unfortunately it looks like I deleted its picture from the computer. That's the only trike I'd own. 

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

The Can Am Spyder I can handle--it's not really pretending to be a motorcycle.  This contraption on the other hand, is a wannabe motorcycle that doesn't quite make the cut.  Just my take. :o

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

The spyder not only doesn't look like a motorcycle , it doesn't steer the same way. Because it doesn't lean and use caster steering it steers directly , not counter steers. Had fun following a friend of mine that was a motorcycle dealer and had "borrowed" the demo spyder . We were riding up a VERY twisty mountain road and almost every tight corner we went into he would have a little wrong way steer before his brain caught up and steered it like a car. Funny to watch until the road got wet and slippery. Then I couldn't keep up with him. They are insanely stable in crap conditions.

The above does use caster steering and will handle like a motorcycle.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

3 hours ago, norcal616 said:

What are these ppl taking for medications? Them pharmaceuticals are bad mmmm kay!!!!

Can't even comprehend how the chicken dinner winner is gonna handle the it when one the front tires becomes a flat foot...

YAMAHA WE KNOW YOU LURK IN THE SHADOWS OF THE FORUMS... if your reading this yamaha this will be the start of a slippery slope to going broke and end up making H.Dturds...

Have you ever ridden up on what of these 3 wheeler things?  I have and each time the dick wanher morons cannot control the f***ing things nor have the brains to balance a bicycle.  I can tolorate can am spiders, but these things are for bloody freakin brainless dolt ingrat morinic imbelics

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member

apparently Yamaha is gonna show it off at the EICMA show 😒 on Nov 6th

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Alot of older riders have hip or back problems that stop them from being able to lean. 

But these cool old dudes still want to be able to ride. I don't blame them. 

Can am came out with their three wheelers and have been selling pretty well. 

So, Yamaha is smartly coming out with their own. I think it's a good thing. 

In another 10-15 years, I might have to get one myself. 

• Premium Member

Whats wrong with this? There are plenty of riders out there who would love to ride but cant for whatever reason. If I had a disability, or were elderly etc I'd be all over this.  This is awesome for getting more wind through more hair.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, r1limited said:

Have you ever ridden up on what of these 3 wheeler things?  I have and each time the dick wanher morons cannot control the f***ing things nor have the brains to balance a bicycle.  I can tolorate can am spiders, but these things are for bloody freakin brainless dolt ingrat morinic imbelics

Now Ive been one to post ill considered thoughts as well but just let me point out...... they're for people who would LOVE to ride but cant, perhaps with disabilities or elderly you ignoramus.  Wait until you're old there sonny jim. 👉👌 💋

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

10 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Now Ive been one to post ill considered thoughts as well but just let me point out...... they're for people who would LOVE to ride but cant, perhaps with disabilities or elderly you ignoramus.  Wait until you're old there sonny jim. 👉👌 💋

If I ever become that daf I wont ride, Cages are one thing, but to place a perosn with disabilities on this is another, is that ignorance? wel OK so the f@#k what its how it is.

Elderly folks? OK I am elderly well at the first stages there of, never will I ride one of those.
Disabled? I get trikes, can ams, Hd or gold wings, know a few disabled folks and good for them.

Ignoramus? lets visit that one for a minute one more time........ OK, I am also a ass hat, dip wanker, jerk, pin dick etc etc etc whats your point?

My experiance with these things is entirley experiance, they are unstable on the freeway as the way I see and have experianced them.  The riders on them... Well I will be nice and not try and be a ingoramus.... I cant, I stand by what I said.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

At first I thought Concept bike, but seeing as they are signing up test rides, this very well might come to market.

I've liked the MP3 for a long time. I was a skeptic till I rode one, and was shocked at how well it performed. So much so that I've kept my eyes open for one used the last year.  The potential to perform is there. front traction is increased, and you can rail on one.

As far as being for someone with a disability - Not at all - this takes all the skill and technique of a regular bike - there isn't some special added ease to riding with two wheels in the front.

My concerns are that people who shouldn't be on bikes with think if them as safer or more secure (Like trike riders do), and that false sense of security gets people hurt.

I like it!

I am a Ulysses club member. Most have cruisers because they have problems getting their legs over a ordinary bike because of the height. The spyders are useful where they also cannot support a bike with their legs or stand on one leg to get on and off the bike. Plenty of knee and hip replacements nowdays. They can walk but flexibility is an issue.

R1 are you saying the Spyders are unstable, because they are one of the most stable things I have ever ridden. As I mentioned chasing the spyder up a slippery tight narrow mountain road was no contest. It just left me and I am a VERY good wet weather rider ( not quite as good in the dry, no idea why). Of course the spyder rider was an ex ISDE rider so I was  never really in the hunt. They have a brilliant stability control designed by BMW. They often feel unstable to motorcycle riders because they direct, not countersteer, and the unconscious corrections you make, tend to be backwards for a while.

Spyders  and MP3's ARE safer than a ordinary motorcycle. The same spyder rider was also the dealer for piaggio, and said at the launch they were riding around the streets of Melbourne on the MP3's deliberately trying to break traction front and back, and apparently it was very hard to do. The bike would slide sideways a bit then bite . Skill of the riders was probable a factor though.

Safer yes. Infallible NO. They will still crash quite well. They also have an unfortunate habit of hitting the rider if they are pitched off in that sort of accident.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

2 hours ago, gregjet said:

I am a Ulysses club member. Most have cruisers because they have problems getting their legs over a ordinary bike because of the height. The spyders are useful where they also cannot support a bike with their legs or stand on one leg to get on and off the bike. Plenty of knee and hip replacements nowdays. They can walk but flexibility is an issue.

R1 are you saying the Spyders are unstable, because they are one of the most stable things I have ever ridden. As I mentioned chasing the spyder up a slippery tight narrow mountain road was no contest. It just left me and I am a VERY good wet weather rider ( not quite as good in the dry, no idea why). Of course the spyder rider was an ex ISDE rider so I was  never really in the hunt. They have a brilliant stability control designed by BMW. They often feel unstable to motorcycle riders because they direct, not countersteer, and the unconscious corrections you make, tend to be backwards for a while.

Spyders  and MP3's ARE safer than a ordinary motorcycle. The same spyder rider was also the dealer for piaggio, and said at the launch they were riding around the streets of Melbourne on the MP3's deliberately trying to break traction front and back, and apparently it was very hard to do. The bike would slide sideways a bit then bite . Skill of the riders was probable a factor though.

Safer yes. Infallible NO. They will still crash quite well. They also have an unfortunate habit of hitting the rider if they are pitched off in that sort of accident.

No Spyders are aewsome

ATC Three wheelers were banned for crippling people in the same manner.

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

My bad, never thought of the mobility impaired application.  What advantages would a bike like this offer for someone with limited strength and/or mobility? 

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

After having seen these (below pic) for some time now the quad forks and huge, weighty windscreen on the Niken seem excessive and gaudy. Not the best design, IMO.

1_001.jpg

Beemer

15 minutes ago, Beemer said:

After having seen these (below pic) for some time now the quad forks and huge, weighty windscreen on the Niken seem excessive and gaudy. Not the best design, IMO.

1_001.jpg

THATS IT, THATS THE, THE, THE THING THAT HAUNTS ME IN MY DREAMS

There are a few around here in the PNW, They seem extreamly unstable or the rider is incapable of riding a straight line.  Idiots on these have hindered traffic, made stupid moves as this has been my experiance.  IMO these are no different than geriatric carts for seniors.

11 minutes ago, r1limited said:

THATS IT, THATS THE, THE, THE THING THAT HAUNTS ME IN MY DREAMS

There are a few around here in the PNW, They seem extreamly unstable or the rider is incapable of riding a straight line.  Idiots on these have hindered traffic, made stupid moves as this has been my experiance.  IMO these are no different than geriatric carts for seniors.

The people you see riding them are the problem. They just haven't become used to them yet and there's always the possibility they'e one of those rare people that just don't belong behind the handlebars or wheel of any machine (maybe that's why they chose a three wheeler to begin with???) but the bike itself handles very well from everything I've read about them.

Beemer

Archived