The MT-07 Forum

Cleaning Carbs

Yury Lo

SO, I've taken on the job of maintenance recently for my fz-07 .

I was looking around for information on cleaning your own carbs.

Should you take on the job of cleaning your carbs alone ?

Is there any tutorials on it?

Or just give it into a shop to have it done for you?

Buy yourself an Official Yamaha FZ-07 Maintenance manual to start.  Read through the entire chapter of carbs.  Cleaning is fairly straight forward, syncing them back up is not.

Buy yourself the needed tools before hand

Buy yourself a small parts cleaning tub (You can find them from $40 - $200 plus)  nothing wrong with water based cleaning agents as you will use carb cleaner after that.

Buy your self a few cans of Carb Cleaner

I use a cookie sheet when I am pulling a carb(s) apart.  I lay things out in the order I pull them left to right.  Take pictures as well before you pull it apart or remove that jet.  Really the experiance of DiY is not just saving you money but your gaining a vast amount of experiance.  And when that skill set is needed in the zombie appocolypes your a shoe in to get them vehicles running :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

10 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

Ummm R1Limited, surely you jest?

Yury, where are you located?  Do you actually have an Fz07 with carbs?

Being new to two wheels, I was just sitting here thinking "Do these guys really call throttle bodies 'carbs'??" On the other hand, I have pressed the "throttle" on a diesel before, so the occasional misnomer does exist. 

14 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Buy yourself an Official Yamaha FZ-07 Maintenance manual to start.  Read through the entire chapter of carbs.  Cleaning is fairly straight forward, syncing them back up is not.

Buy yourself the needed tools before hand

Buy yourself a small parts cleaning tub (You can find them from $40 - $200 plus)  nothing wrong with water based cleaning agents as you will use carb cleaner after that.

Buy your self a few cans of Carb Cleaner

I use a cookie sheet when I am pulling a carb(s) apart.  I lay things out in the order I pull them left to right.  Take pictures as well before you pull it apart or remove that jet.  Really the experiance of DiY is not just saving you money but your gaining a vast amount of experiance.  And when that skill set is needed in the zombie appocolypes your a shoe in to get them vehicles running :)

you're a gem. thank you for the descriptive info.

how come there aren't many tutorials on cleaning your carbs? 

is it considered one of the harder things to do?

15 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

Sorry but I'm new to the mechanics side of things /riding . 
I am in new york. 

42 minutes ago, pjfz1 said:

I am not Surely and I dont Jest

Yes CARBS aka Fuel Injection whatever. Its mechanical and still need cleaning. His probably not, nothing I stated was wrong. replace jets with injectors, springs, orings etc

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

9 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I am not Surely and I dont Jest

Yes CARBS aka Fuel Injection whatever. Its mechanical and still need cleaning. His probably not, nothing I stated was wrong. replace jets with injectors, springs, orings etc

What you posted is absolutely true for Carbs.. For Cleaning Injectors it's a different animal completely. We do them in the shop occasionally, but it requires the ability to power and cycle them and, Most riders aren't going to tackle it on their own.

The only injection service item in the manual is the throttle body sync (and to check fuel lines, if that counts). I was able to do the sync with a small screwdriver, manometer I bought on Amazon, and small hands without having to remove any bodywork at all. If you don't know what you are doing, it is very straightforward and hard to really screw up if you make a mental note of where the balance screw position beforehand. 

22 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

The only injection service item in the manual is the throttle body sync (and to check fuel lines, if that counts). I was able to do the sync with a small screwdriver, manometer I bought on Amazon, and small hands without having to remove any bodywork at all. If you don't know what you are doing, it is very straightforward and hard to really screw up if you make a mental note of where the balance screw position beforehand. 

Good point. Synch is part of Maintenance, cleaning is not. that's why I asked the Original poster why he was asking.

2 hours ago, cyow5 said:

Mind providing a link for the Manometer you picked up?

Thanks!

Throw water baloons at it while singing tie a yeller ribbon around the old oak tree

3 hours ago, Redstang4 said:

Mind providing a link for the Manometer you picked up?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3PPZZY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Definitely not the best on the market, but appropriate for occasional use. I used some spare vacuum lines in my garage to make a T junction on the left cylinder, so the MAP sensor and the manometer can both be hooked up at the same time. This manometer has an averaging function, otherwise the pressure bounces around too much. Using tubing and some fluid doesn't move around as much and is cheap, but I like the compactness of this thing, and it doesn't have the risk of sucking fluid into the motor. 

Awesome Thanks!  Been looking at them for awhile now, didnt want to drop $90 on one that I'll use rarely, and was concerned the cheapies would be crap.

Appreciate the response and feedback

The 07 does have "carburetion" but doesn't have carbs. That process is the mixing in the correct ratio of fuel and air to make a burnable mix. The "carbs" are throttle bodies and as such have no fuel in nor near them, Again, as such only get clean air through them  ( hopefully). The "carburettion"   is done by this air having fuel squirted into it after these bodies directed almost straight at the valve inlets. Controlled electronically so usually nothing to get sticky or dirty ( again hopefully). Some fuel cleaner in the actual fuel, occasionally, will help stop injection oriface gumming up.

That said many have reported getting improvements from balancing the low speed air flow. Mine has been fine, so I haven't bothered.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived