The MT-07 Forum

Michelin PR4 vs PR3 Please Give Advise

Trollface.JPG

Trollface.JPG

So I am new to forums so bear with me. About 6 months ago I bought a used 2015 FZ-07 as my first bike and I love it to death. The rear tire is completely bald in the center of the tread and it needs replacing. Currently, both the front and rear tires are Michelin PR3. I have been doing some research on what to buy and people for the most part seem to like the PR4's. My question is what is the main difference between the PR3 and the PR4?. Would having a PR3 on the front and a PR4 on the rear be less than optimal in any way? Also is the higher price of the PR4 worth it? Any advise/opinions are greatly appreciated.

The PR4 are said to last about 20% longer and have a rounder, more neutral profile than the PR3s. In real life I doubt you will notice much difference between them. I find the PR3s on mine to offer a fairly harsh ride so I use low air pressure - 28/30 - and they still stay cold-ish even over extended rides unless the weather is very warm.

• Global Moderator

Just to throw another option in, I am concidering the Pilot Power 3 for my next set of tires.  I have heard good things about them but have no experience to share yet. 

PR4's are vastly superior to PR3's almost everywhere. Yes they look wierd, but they have grip when the PR3's ( and most other tyres have run away and hidden). Can't speck of longevity as I didn't like the 3's I had and changed them to something else. They work in ridiculously hot conditions AND ridiculously cold and wet conditions. Probably the best ever all condition tyres ( there may be some newies in the last few months that are as good).

I love the feel of them as well. The 3's feel harsher than the 4's but most things do. The 3's are not as harsh as the stock BT023's, nor any Dunlops ( classic racing Dunlops not included), but harsher than the 4's.

If you prefer a rigid hard contact tyre feel the 3's are better, if you prefer a more compliant stickier feel, the 4's are better. Pilot Power 3's are better than the PR3's, though they lose a fair bit to the PR4's in the wet.

My opinion only

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

My brother raves about the PR4s, both for how long they last and how well they grip. The only gripe he has is a howling from the front tyre that gets better (less noise) as the tyre wear. 

I have not ridden far enough on PR4s to give them a fair review, but I do not fancy the PR3s a lot. I find them harsh and numb - they remind me of Bridgestone BT016 in several ways, although the PR3 seems to grip better.

• Global Moderator

I had the Pr3s on my bike from the factory. Good tires, rear lasted about 11k replaced both as a set

as @gregjet said they are a bit of a harsh ride. 

Swapped to the Pr4 GTs because they didnt have the regulars in stock

They were just as harsh as the pr3s but were MUCH grippier.. even held up well to a couple track days. 

The rear lasted about 9k the front about 15k have since swapped to a standard pr4. 

With about 5k on the rear im loving the new set.. i have ridden an fz07 with the power3s the dunlop Q3s and the new Q3+s on the track and ove gotta say the new q3+ will be my next set if their claims of longevity are to be believed. 

So a breakdown. 

if you want dry grip, get the power 3's or the Q3+'s

For all around weather/commuting PR4's

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

sorkyah,

PR4's ( Michelins generally actually) grip and ride better with LESS pressure in them than most tyres. Try them a couple of psi less. I run the pr4's on my TR650 at 26/28psi , recommended is 32. They are much better . Sally runs her KTM 690 tyres at 28psi.(both). Recommended is 32/34. Both sets have lasted very well even considering the big tour was mostly upright and Sally's have a flat section around the middle.

Also remember the rear is WAAAY too big for the bike weight on the 07. To get anywhere near the correct amount of deflection on the rear, it needs a fair bit less pressure. A 160 kg bike does not need a 180/55 tyre. It doesn't get enough footprint at 32psi . when upright. Leant over is a bit better though because of the profile.

It is getting so I really would like to try the 07 on a track with Q3+'s. They are getting a good rap here. I suspect the hard feel will be a bit too much for me though, even down to track pressures.

• Global Moderator

@gregjet im running f 30/32 r atm on mine... plus im a big boy @6'1  and 260lbs w/ gear 

I made the mistake of running "bike" stock pressures on the last set and realized that was a big issue... made for interesting accidental drifts though :)

might end up upping the pressures a bit though since winter is here

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Dave Moss have repeatedly claimed Michelins are soft and Dunlops have a hard carcass, but I must say there is nothing soft about the PR3s. I could probably drop pressure to 22/24 on cool days and still not get much temp into them. With stock tyre pressure they feel hard like iron. I use 28/30 - or less, as I don't check them all that often. Other tyres I've used would feel very vague at such low pressure, but the PR3 in combination with the bike's low weight means they feel firm.

I like the pilot road 2’s a lot, super tires, long life and good wet and dry grip. My buddies pilot power 3’s got good life and gripped very well and offered a softer ride than sport touring tires I’ve ridden on. Also had a go with metzeler m7rr’s and they offer a good life and good grip as well wet or dry and have same mileage potential as the pilot power 3’s.  

6'1 and 260lbs! Is the bike an OK fit. I would have thought it would have been a bit small for your dimensions. The Euro bikes tend to fit bigger riders better. Triumph Tiger, KTM , maybe or a BMW. One advantage of being completely average, I guess, is I can fit most bikes ( a CBR250RR notwithstanding. That bike was designed for people with VERY short everything).

And keep in mind most people that would have sport tourin tires do something like slip or lose traction have put the bike in some sort of situation where grip would not necessarily have been lost if proper technique had been used or if the road surface or surrounding environment had been something that high lean angles should not have been attempted in the first place.

longevity and comfort are highly dependent on what the bikes suspension is doing and tire pressure also so you gotta keep in mind the stock suspension is going to be forcing the tires to do a lot of shock absorption regardless of the make, and each tire may have its own sweet spot in pressure depending on your weight, riding style, and tire construction.

On 10/23/2017 at 2:57 AM, mjh937 said:

Just to throw another option in, I am concidering the Pilot Power 3 for my next set of tires.  I have heard good things about them but have no experience to share yet. 

I ran the Pilot Power 3 tires on my ZX6R.  One of the best road tires I've ran to date.  Lots of confidence in them.

Archived