The MT-07 Forum

Body positioning when cornering fast-ish?

Bigturbomax

r1, may I call you that. You are forgetting that irony is best served not to US citizens. It is well misunderstood...

As Ruby Wax has oft said. "Americans have their irony gene removed at birth by law" Though I am pretty sure that actually refers to US citizens rather than the Americas as a whole. I am also pretty sure Canadians and irony are well aquainted. A glance at "The Murdoch Mysteries" or anything involving " Austin Powers" should confirm this.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, gregjet said:

r1, may I call you that. You are forgetting that irony is best served not to US citizens. It is well misunderstood...

As Ruby Wax has oft said. "Americans have their irony gene removed at birth by law" Though I am pretty sure that actually refers to US citizens rather than the Americas as a whole. I am also pretty sure Canadians and irony are well aquainted. A glance at "The Murdoch Mysteries" or anything involving " Austin Powers" should confirm this.

Now that is ironic

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

f@#k... it's just a bike. 

Sumo works just as well as "traditional"; my problem is more the springs to be honest... but semi-sumo works awesome. 

1 hour ago, Lunchbox87km said:

@Bigturbomax I have the total control book if you want to borrow it

Well that would have been helpful to mention when you were at my house yesterday lol! Heck yeah I wanna borrow it!

3 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Well that would have been helpful to mention when you were at my house yesterday lol! Heck yeah I wanna borrow it!

I didn't know you wanted to borrow it

An important consideration when attempting to employ any style, method, technique, etc. is that one does so slowly, carefully, and preferably in an environment they can exert the most control over. Is your goal to ride around the track like Rossi? You certainly can work towards that riding style with practice on the street - without actually encroaching on the unsafe and unrealistic. Maybe you want to get your knee down, great! Maybe your goal is riding the FZ like a dirt tracker, great! Just be sure that when you're applying new methods you leave room for error. It's hard to learn how to improve at something if you're white-knuckling your whole way through it. Can you tell if you are using too much brake pressure if you're also focusing on where your body is and how much throttle you're using? Pick a skill, break it down into simple components, and practice those individually at 70-80% of your ability. You will improve.

1 hour ago, ddog said:

An important consideration when attempting to employ any style, method, technique, etc. is that one does so slowly

I enthusiastically agree. My first track day (in a car) I had a terrible time figuring out the racing line. I then did a session with an instructor and it really clicked. Next time out, if felt 10x better but that also meant I went from slow to quick WAY faster than my skills could keep up. One section of guardrail had to get replaced...

Many Track days offer MSF Advanced or varients of this

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I wanted to take the time to thank everyone that has contributed to this thread. Ive found some very insightful advise here and have been trying to treat every ride as a practice session ever since i got back on two wheels. Despite some disagreements on style/method i still appreciate all the help and it shows me genuine concern from my fellow forum members here. Ive been reading total control and its an eye opener. Thanks again everyone!

When in Doubt GAS IT

Not really but that really pisses some people off :)

" Despite some disagreements on style/method "

Disagreement is good. Makes people justify and deconstruct their and other people's agruements. You will get way more out of threads like this than simple head -nod ones. If you ignore the automatic gainsaying posts much can be learned, even by the posters themselves.

As Kark Poppa indicated, you cannot be sure something is always right, but you can prove when it is wrong. Being wrong is where learning takes place.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, r1limited said:

When in Doubt GAS IT

Not really but that really pisses some people off :)

Worked for Josh Herrin.... :)

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Worked for Josh Herrin.... :)

Josh Herrin is an Alien

When I couch in the dirt I preach this and I demand an AMEN HALLELUJAH form the disciples :)

For street, I teach the same but with more finesse and care.  It is a more subtle approach with deliberate motion(s)

I have been in some all out pissing contests with that statement kinda like Amurka 😛

Archived