The MT-07 Forum

Mistaken Identity

Beemer

Has anyone mistaken you FZ-07 for another bike? I was leaving a Culver's (love their pork tenderloin sandwich) the other day and I swear some noob asked me if my bike was a Grom. Ha! A Grom, of all things! He may as well have said a Taco Minibike. I couldn't stop myself and I busted out laughing uncontrollably. He looked a little perplexed after that and it probably took him awhile to realize his error, if he did at all. Best laugh I've had in awhile. Anyone with similar experience?

Beemer

I got asked it it was a BMW before. I guess the silver color threw him off. I just pointed to the "yamaha" sticker on the tail. Lol!

Ya, a HD guy walks over and says what kind of bike is that?

Ya know, sometimes you just have to keep your mouth shut when stupid appears :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

In a tiny town in Utah a guy asked me if my bike was a Ducati.

People ask me all the time what kind of bike it is. I guess the correct answer is "not a cruiser".   🏍️

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

usually every time I gotta refill the juice box... is that a BMW? or Ducati?... my usual reply is when did "they" start cranking out $6k bikes that dont break down every time you start it? 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

I have had people think mine is a Ducati a few times.  I think the fact it is red might be part of the reason.  It is seems odd that the US bikes do not have any Yamaha badging except for the small logo on the track scoop. 

11 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have had people think mine is a Ducati a few times.  I think the fact it is red might be part of the reason.  It is seems odd that the US bikes do not have any Yamaha badging except for the small logo on the track scoop. 

My 2017 says YAMAHA on the tail on both sides so that probably helps avoid confusion.

I just came from another forum where there was a pic of a Grom. I did think, oh there's bits of MT style in there.  😞

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

I've de-branded the bike and a few people have asked if it was a Ducati. Dr. Beef Sharmachan was not impressed.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

On 10/22/2017 at 9:53 PM, wrxer said:

To be fair, with anything other than the stock exhaust it sounds like a Ducati.

They do sound similar but I was thinking more like a Triumph with a parallel twin and 270 deg. crank like the FZ has instead of something with a v-twin. 

Beemer

Honestly most people that approach me and say anything assume it's a dual sport for some reason. "It's not!? Look at all that space between the tire and fender in the back. It must have a foot of travel!" Or - "My cousin Jimmy-Jay Jr. has an enduro like that and loves it. How's it do on the trails?"

That and they comment on how "small" it looks with a little smurk on their face. Nobody has ever asked why I didn't get a "real" bike yet or asked me "do they make those for men",, but it's probably coming soon. LMAO! No worries, I quit caring what other folks think about my bike choices a loooooong time ago.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

They do sound similar but I was thinking more like a Triumph with a parallel twin and 270 deg. crank like the FZ has instead of something with a v-twin. 

I have been told my bike sounds like its got some exotic V8 engine in it... go HordPower!!! 😛

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

The  growl that the 07 has because of uneven firing pulses does sound Ducatilike, once you have a decent exhaust on it. The Triumph with the same pulse intervals doesn't though. I suspect that is to do with the cam angles and compression being more agressive on the 07, which puts a sharper transient on the front of the sound envelope. Can't confirm that, as I still haven't been able to find what the 07's cam angles are. Too busy to do it the degree wheel way.

Been asked if it was the 900 MT though, but that's reasonably understandable as they look very similar(ish) at a first glance. Counting the headers is a bit of a give away though.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

23 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I have been told my bike sounds like its got some exotic V8 engine in it... go HordPower!!! 😛

That remark isn't the first of it's kind. In the past a number of us have said that when you're cruising it at around a steady 5k rpm the pipe stars to resonate. I remember remarking, saying it reminded me of how the sound from a boat with an inboard V8 resonates across the water. It seems like every time I'm cruising slow in that 5k range the sound turns at least one head, if not more. Young boys always seem to go nuts when they hear it. Their eyes get big, then the smile, them the wheelie gestures, ha! I always get the feeling a part of their dad's loathe me for getting their kid to react so greatly toward me or my bike. I get that feeling because I went fishing once at a lake puside Troy, Ohio and a guy was teaching his kid how to fish (I didn't pay much attention to them) and wasn't having any luck catching anything fishing the top of the water with a bobber, I did notice. So I step up and instinctively fish the bottom and catch about three fish back to back within minutes of each other. Next thing I know the guy grumbles to his kid to pack his things and they leave but not before shooting me the stink eye. Didn't see that coming and that experience has stuck with me ever since then! Anyone experience anything like that?

Beemer

Some pudding to back up what I say. I'm not just throwing words out there. Skip ahead to 2:36 in the video and ask yourself if that doesn't sound like an FZ-07 accelerating at low rpm. 

Beemer

On 10/22/2017 at 9:45 AM, Beemer said:

Has anyone mistaken you FZ-07 for another bike? I was leaving a Culver's (love their pork tenderloin sandwich) the other day and I swear some noob asked me if my bike was a Grom. Ha! A Grom, of all things! He may as well have said a Taco Minibike. I couldn't stop myself and I busted out laughing uncontrollably. He looked a little perplexed after that and it probably took him awhile to realize his error, if he did at all. Best laugh I've had in awhile. Anyone with similar experience?

Wow....just last weekend I was on a ride and went down a road, passed some teenagers who stopped me and asked if that was a Grom. Then asked, where can I get a Grom?  I replied,,,uhhh the dealer, or craigslist. Then he asked what it was and how fast it was. I told him then showed him!

• Premium Member

LOL +1 Ducati. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Archived