The MT-07 Forum

Dropped the bike

Beemer

Finally, I dropped the bike .... but while washing it. How's that possible you say? It's stationary right, you're not on it, how does that happen? Well, first of all you have to be me and wearing the dumbest effing sandals you can possibly wear while washing a bike. Huh, what?! I have these orthopedic sandals that are !00% rubber like and made for people with planters fasciitis. They get very slick inside the shoe if water gets in them so what do I do? I wear them while I wash my bike. 👍 

I was pushing the bike forward a couple feet so that I could wash the part of the wheel & tire that I couldn't get to and that's when the heel of my right foot slipped out of that sandal, my ankle rolled and my right leg buckled  but because my left leg didn't give out I was able to ease the bike down to a certain point before it became too heavy and then I had to let go of it. If anyone had been watching that must've looked funny to them because the bike and I went down sorta in slo-mo. I'm sure it falling down slow helped though because all it did was knock my mirror out of adjustment. Nothing else but a bent ego laying there on the ground next to my bike looking like some big, uncoordinated geek.  🤓 Derp!  Never again!

Beemer

Same dumb crap happened to me. Sat on my bike to adjust mirrors then sort just fiddled with everything else to get it just right then decided I was finished and started getting off not realizing that my dumb ass left the stand up. What ensued was a super slow-mo drop as I am struggling to push it back up. After what seems to be an eternity  it rests softly on my leg and I waited for a helping hand to lift the bike back up. My baby suffered not even a single scratch but my pride took a big hit. I think I should get a life alert in the likely chance it happens again.

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

3 minutes ago, r1limited said:

Haaaa, haa, bikes don't want to be touched by skanks either!

Beemer

lucky that it was just a slow fall. And for the most part our bikes do not have a lot of plastic to break.

But to  add to the me too club. I did similar to a former 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650.

Was only a few months old. After a weekend of long rides. Sunday evening before putting it away i was lubing the chain.

At the time i did the move forward a bit. lube. move. lube etc. Figured out 4 moves forward exposed all the chain.

on the last and final move i went to get off bike. (was doing the duck walk forward thing) I guess i must have hit the side stand

and it was half open. So KA-Rash it goes. On a concrete underground parking floor. In a panic i tried to lift it the wrong way in the

process rocking the bike up a foot and back down. The faring making a nasty crunching sound.

Calmed down and got but upright the right way. Was pleasantly surprised to see damage was minimal. Slight bend to shifter. A few small marks

on the fins on the faring. Mark on bar end. Clutch lever took the worst, was slightly bent and lost a quarter of it off the end.

since then i have found a better way to lube chain and also give the kick stand a few extra kicks to make sure it is locked before i get off the bike.

2017 Yamaha FZ-07
2014 Yamaha BWS125

At least now I have a reminder to use the center stand for something other than chain cleaning /lubing. Derp!  Yeah, I could've avoided my spill had I use my center stand. I recommend having one (and using it) whenever possible, they're very convenient. If you want your bike light for racing then you probably shouldn't get one.

Beemer

You can get a centre stand for the FZ07? did not think one was available due to where the exhaust system is situated.

I now use a system similar to a "Pack-Jack" now. - works great.

2017 Yamaha FZ-07
2014 Yamaha BWS125

• Premium Member

Ah, the ol' slow mo put down. 

Welcome to the club. And the plantar fasciitis club too. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

20 hours ago, skyway6 said:

You can get a centre stand for the FZ07? did not think one was available due to where the exhaust system is situated.

I now use a system similar to a "Pack-Jack" now. - works great.

I don't know about the stock exhaust but my center stand works fine with my Akra, carbon fiber exhaust. That's a fine little tool there but one thing a center stand can also do is keep your bike safer if you are parked on soft dirt.  (no leaning) It's kind of a multi-purpose tool. People say it's expensive but it does so much and it's always right there.

Beemer

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, Beemer said:

I don't know about the stock exhaust but my center stand works fine with my Akra, carbon fiber exhaust. That's a fine little tool there but one thing a center stand can also do is keep your bike safer if you are parked on soft dirt.  (no leaning) It's kind of a multi-purpose tool. People say it's expensive but it does so much and it's always right there.

Agreed.

Roadside repairs & parking concerns were my primary reason for getting the center stand. I use paddock stands for at home maintenance.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Archived