The MT-07 Forum

How to switch lanes on uneven road

phanomenal07

So the road that I ride frequently has one lane comepletely torn up off the exit. And the other lane still intact. I was wondering what is the best technique for switching into the better lane switch is elevated now that the other lane is torn up. The other day when I tried to switch to that lane going about 65 I got a real bad tank slapper and almost went down. Should I just stay on the bad lane until it ends? Will god my slower make the problem worst?

There is no right answer for this actually uneven roads can be very hazardous and tricky to maneuver.  First I am glad you are OK, a 65 MPH tank slapper and your not explaining how the bike is tells me this is a troll question or you slowed down enough to no wad the bike up when you went down.  So here is my answer

1. Avoid them at all cost if possible.  If you know the road to be uneven from construction then plan a different route or stay in that lane and take another exit
  2. If you cannot avoid them and then stay in the lane until a proper exit comes and the road is even (Especially if you cannot do #3
  3. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU CAN Slow way down to a safe speed, have dirt skills and confidense in your skills (You have to be the judge of this speed and your confidence and this part requires confidence and DIRT SKILLS) SO CAUTION WARNING ONLY TRY THIS IF YOU HAVE THE SKILLS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ASK YOURSELF THAT QUESTION I
    1. The Bike slowed to a safer speed
    2. Stand up on the bike and grip the tank with your knees
    3. If third or 2nd blip the throttle or use a little clutch to get the front over the top
    4. Steady throttle, you will then allow the rear to glide over the edge
  4. Never attempt to cross them at freeway speed (I guess you now know this)
  5. ALWAYS "ALWAYS" ""ALWAYS"" use the better part of judgment and wait for even pavement, your life depends on it (I pretty much endorse this as #1

You may have noticed I struck out #3, this is a reminder that its not a good idea and should be stricken from the article.  But then you asking a guy who jumps rail road tracks off camber :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Idk man it went crazy then stable again. Don’t know how this works. But thanks for the advice. I definitely don’t have dirt skills so I just won’t try it again

1 hour ago, i28 said:

Crossing-railroad-tracks-right-wrong-550

Just think of the railroad tracks in this picture as the elevated pavement. 

Square off and Jump em :)

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I’ll do up to 3”’s of elevation between lanes, like if they paving em. Ya gotta commit to it. Like the diagram above shows your angle has to be a bit more aggressive , don’t sit on the seat flat either ride the bike like a horse and be loose on the controls. 

Practice on curbs with a mountain bike

I always slow down a hair and cross it as diagonal as I can to prevent the side wall of the rear tire from catching on the elevated part and dragging along it instead of going up and over it. Also, be ready on the handle bars also because they can be jerked to the right or left when you cross over something like this the wrong way.  Good suggestion, R1limited! I was gonna say get a dirt bike and practice going over logs at an angle. 😉

Beemer

Archived